Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 695
Mary Wrigley Posted: Sat, Sep 24 2011 9:46 PM

I've started quilting when I was 15 with my Aunt. She hand quilted back then, she was our "Martha Stewart" of the family. I didn't take up quilting myself until I was 40, now at 54 I've retired and enjoy quilting for my family and friends. I do not like machine quilting, I feel it stresses me out. So I only do hand quilting.  My joy is baby quilts, making quilts for my grandchildren. My biggest downfall is that when I want to start a new project, it takes forever to decide the colors and fabrics. But looking through all the quilts and seeing peoples other projects, helps me put those colors together. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:50 AM

Welcome, Mary!  Glad you joined the group.

You will have to post pictures of your quilts.  I recently machine pieced and hand quilted a quilt for my granddaughter for her 1st birthday.  I haven't done that in ages.  I have been sending my quilts out to be quilted but with the recent purchase of a new sewing machine with a larger throat, I plan to machine quilt some of my quilts.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,787
Points 12,965

Welcome to the club Mary!

You will definitely enjoy it here. There are many that quilt by hand. I so envy those that can still sew and quilt by hand as I must do it by machine if I want anything done. (My hands and wrists just do not work well anymore.)   

Please share/post some of your work in your gallery.  We would LOVE to see your handiwork.

Oregon

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 9:22 AM

Welcome to the club Mary

Granny M

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Mary, welcome to the club.  I pprefer to do all my quilting by hand as well.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 11:46 AM

Welcome Mary.  Hope you enjoy your time with us.  Isn't it funny how everyone does things differently when quilting.  Hand quilting stresses me out....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,055
Points 369,287
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 12:54 PM

Welcome Mary.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 12:57 PM

I have never tried hand quilting...I don't think my hands would be able to hold up...it almost kills me just to hand sew the binding to the back, but I certainly envy those who are able to handquilt and have the patience to do it.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 76
Points 2,830

Welcome Mary!  I am fairly new to the site as well.  I am just now feeling comfortable with navigating around and I am really enjoying chatting with other quilters and seeing their "galleries" and fabric choices.  I do the same thing you do....I let other quilters color selections influence my color choices from time to time.  I find that helps boost my confidence and forces me to make selections I normally wouldn't dare make!  We all have different processes to get where we are.  Hope you enjoy this MQ5 as much as I am.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Points 2,015
Welcome Mary...you will love this site. There are so many talented and very nice ladies and gents to be friends with and learn from. Enjoy! Post some of your quilts for all of us to admire! I love to look at everyone's quilts...soooo beautiful.
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 12:47 AM

hi mary, and welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use