Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo Posted: Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:55 PM

This is not original with me but I though I would share it just in case someone out there has'nt heard.  Save your used fabric softner sheets.  (I put mine in an empty baby wipes box on top of the dryer).  They can be pressed flat and used as  Stabilizer  for smaller machine appliques.  Most of the sheets are around 6 1/2 x 8 1/2.  Just pin in place and off you go.  You don/t even have to trim them close (unless they show through).  Sorry, I don't remember where I heard it

I'm going to try the wrappers pads come in next.  They are smaller but I bet you could overlap them about a quarter of an inch without any problems.

Guess you could call me the queen of cheap!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,787
Points 12,950

I do this as well!  I also use them for my "starter" when piecing. Works great and its a wonderful way to recycle. I read it in a magazine somewhere, might have been F&P tips, not sure.

Oregon

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 3,725
Melissa replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 9:48 AM

I don't use them, but I think remembering that I read that they can be used for applique, too. You sew one to the right side of your applique piece on the turn line, then put a slit in the fabric softener sheet, pull the fabric through the slit, and flip the applique piece right side out. Press and you have an applique piece ready to sew down with edges already turned.

Melissa
http://ardeasnest.blogspot.com
"Love isn't what makes the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 9:59 AM

Wow great idea, never heard it before.  Yesterday I just finish appliquéing leaves....one day late!  But I'm sure there will be a next time....

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use