Top 10 Posters

Puckered Embroidery Blocks

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 265
CAROLK-13 posted on Fri, Sep 23 2011 3:30 PM

I was recently given several 8" embroidered blocks with frogs on them.  They are all puckered around the edges of the frogs so that the blocks will not lie flat.  I tried wetting them and ironing them flat, but when they dried, they were again puckered.  I would like to make a baby quilt, putting sashing around the blocks.  Any suggestions as to how I can get the blocks to lie flat?  Or any other suggestions?  I am also wondering if I cut a circle around the frogs and appliqued them to a background square, if this would solve the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

Im just guessing here and without seeing it I am wondering if the stitches are too tight on the embroidery work  and are causing it to pucker........If so, maybe you could loosen it a bit from the back, then try to press it out again......just a thought

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,212 Posts
Points 24,505

I had this happen when I first started machine embroidery and did not use the correct stabalizer.  I went ahead and made the quilt with the puckers in.  when I washed the quilt and the fabric shrank the puckers were barely visable.  I used a simple shashing with cornerstones to make the quilt.  It is interesting that we notice these little things but the person getting the quilt will not notice a all.  Have fun with the blocks would love to see pictures

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,673 Posts
Points 120,445

CarolK.  Could you post a photo? Without seeing it, I might lean toward cutting out the frogs and re-appliquing them to another fabric might be your best bet.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,561 Posts
Points 139,563

Hi CarolK,

I have had this happen in machine embroidery when I didn't stabilize properly. It also happens with cotton when it is pulled to tighten it in the hoop. The best way I found to get rid of the puckering is to iron them on a lofty towel.   

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,787 Posts
Points 12,965

I have done this. When something is so puckered that it is not redeemable, using it as an applique is an excellent idea.

Oregon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 10:39 PM

Carol

I actually have a few embroidered blocks that puckered on me.  I am going to use them anyway and use my quilting to help even them out a little.  Once the quilt is quilted and washed the first time I really don't think they will be that noticeable.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
195 Posts
Points 3,725

Making appliques out of them would be nice, but if you do, you may have to cut close and not just a circle of fabric if the stitches are too tight. Another option is to apply a water soluble stabilizer to the back carefully pressing the fabric as flat as possible. (I say water soluble because you likely don't want it to be stiff when finished. ) Sew up the quilt. Then when you quilt it, you need to quilt rather densely and closely to the embroidery. That way, once the stabilizer is washed out, hopefully the thickness of the quilt will help each square hold its shape.

Melissa
http://ardeasnest.blogspot.com
"Love isn't what makes the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile."

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 265

Thanks for the applique tips--I am new to machine applique, doing my first lap quilt using the maple leaf design and appliqueing the stem.  I used water soluable stabilizer and washed it out after the block was complete.  It worked great!

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 265

Another great idea!  I would like to try this but had planned on using a flannel backing and the quilt top would be cotton.  I am concerned that the cotton and the flannel might shrink at different rates and would increase my puckers.  Have you any experience in this regard?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 12:41 AM

wash both of the fabrics in hot water and dry them in the dryer.   that should take care of any shrinkage before you start

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 55

Carol, as a quilter and an embroiderer I can tell you that the blocks should have had a stabilizer behind them as they were being worked on.  I know of no way to get the puckering out now.  The tightness of the sewing is causing the puckering.  Sorry.  If it is any consolation old pieces of embroidery if worked on fine material shows puckers also.  We learn as we go.  Barb

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use