Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 29 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 165
Shirley Posted: Fri, Sep 23 2011 12:27 PM

Hi, I just joined does anyone out ther like to paper piece?

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 1:03 PM

I have one started, Its a UFO.  I looking at finishing it this winter.  It isn't difficult, I just didn't know what I was doing when I started it so I'll get some help and it will be beatutiful.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 1:22 PM

Hi Shirley. Welcome to QCA. Haven't tried that yet. It's on my to do list that keeps growing and growing.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

I tried one recently. The points in the quadrants were perfect. Unfortunately the quadrants didn't line up. I have no idea what I did wrong. I would like to take a class if I can find one and learn how to do it right.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the group Shirley.  I haven't been brave enough to try paper piecing yet although I plan on it someday.

Margaret

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:02 PM

Hi Shirley!  Welcome to QCA!  Did you ask about paper piecing because you like to do it or because you are hoping to start doing it?  Like Joan, it is on my "to do" list.  I don't think it's very hard, but I've heard that picking out the paper pieces can get tedious.

Tell us more about yourself, and don't hesitate to post pictures!  We love to ooh and aah.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:56 PM

Hi Shirley!  Welcome.  I have made 2 quilts that I paper pieced.  One I made several years ago in blue tones.  The 2nd one I am currently working on.....Mariner's Watch.......wish me luck!!

Have you done this or are you wanting to learn??  I think there is a video under the How_to_ videos.....check it out

Happy Quilting!!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 165
Shirley replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 10:57 PM

Hi Kathy,  Thanks for rthe welcome.  I picked up a paper piecing book at a garage sale.  The book was of stars for the 50 states.  I did a quilt of the kansas star in golds and blacks.  It turned out real well and what I like best is that all my points match .  I love paper piecing almost as much as applique.  I have a pattern for a double wedding ring that I want to do and I bought a new book that has a little of everything in it.  Is the Mariners watch anything like the Mariners star.  Someone in our guild did a Mariners star that was p.p. and it's relly neet.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 165
Shirley replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:02 PM

Hi, Thanks for the welcome.  I picked up a book at a garage sale and i am hooked p.p.  All of my points matched it was so easy.  I bought another book and got a lot more ideas.  I just wish I had time for all of my ideas.  I haven't quite figured out how to put up pics but will have my Grand daughter help me.  I did a p.p. Kansas star for my first project.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 165
Shirley replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:05 PM

Hi, I'm sure that it will turn out great.  I was hooked the first time I did it.  I wish that I had time for all the things I want to do.  Shirley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 165
Shirley replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:08 PM

Hi,  I have a pretty long to do list too , and it keeps getting longer.  Summer is not a good time because we are always outside so I am hoping for a long winter.  You have got to try paper piecing.  All of my points matched up the first time.  Shirley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 165
Shirley replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:13 PM

Hi, I love paper piecing haven't had any problems yet.  Some one mentioned that there was a video of it, that might help.  i would like to do more of it.  My to do list is getting longer and longer.   Shirley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:18 PM
Shirley, The first class I took on PP, I failed. LOL. The teacher kept yelling at me. I went home and called my best quilting friend and cried on her shoulder. It took me 4 years to get back on the wagon to try it again or I should say it took Marie's Birthday block that made me wanna learn it again. So another class I took. I have to say the results are wonderful. You have to be patient in PP. And Carol Doak's methods are really great.To make an entire quilt of PP would be a beautiful thing. Someday.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 7:24 AM

Shirley,  I found the Mariner's Watch in a magazine called QUILT the april/may 2011 issue.  Yes it is comparable to the Mariner's compass pattern.  Paper piecing definately helps get things lined up and pretty.  Although I will say that this one had me pulling my hair out....but it is in the quilting stage now and I am ready to have it finished......Good luck with yours!!

Happy Quilting!!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:23 AM

Shirley :
Hi, I love paper piecing haven't had any problems yet.  Some one mentioned that there was a video of it, that might help.  i would like to do more of it.  My to do list is getting longer and longer.   Shirley

Shirley, I love paper piecing and do mostly that kind of quilting. I does take a little longer but is well worth it. I learned to paper piece from paperpanache.com and quilterscache.com . I have also used the designers workshop.com and Thimbleart.com . They each have good tutorials and after awhile you develop your own way of doing things with your own shortcuts. As for the cleanup, I sit out on my patio with a big plastic tub and pull off the papers with  long tweezers and drop them in the tub. After you get to the tiny pieces it really doesn't matter if they don't make it into the tub. The wind and the rain and the birds take care of that. It certainly lightens the cleanup of those little snibbles in the house. Happy quilting!

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use