I made a big mistake !

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025
Belinda posted on Wed, Sep 21 2011 3:28 PM

I made a real boo-boo and stitched thru 2 quilt squares while applique stitching , on Fisherman Fred  . I wonder if i should redo both squares or try seam ripping the one off backside and just redo it . What do ya'll think ?? ("ya'll"  from an Alabama girl )  Do other quilters do these silly things too ??

B. Roberts from Mobile , AL

B. Roberts

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 3:38 PM

Nope, never done anything like that!  HAHAHAHA!! Guess I've done about everything out there that can be done while quilting. Guess I'd start with seam ripping the one off and see how the other looks then. It's all in what will make you happy with the finished product. After all, it's your quilt project. :-) Good luck and look foward to seeing your Fisherman Fred quilt.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

Hello B.

I have done that with a piece of the end of the block stuck under the frame.  I would suggest redoing the blocks because once something is embroidered, that design is there unless you do a patch or something over the stitches.

That's my thoughts.

S. Backers.  Tennessee.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

I recently did that too.  I took out the stitches and redid them.......and it looked good when i was done.  Good Luck and looking forward to seeing a pic when you are done!

Happy quilting!!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

p s.  We say yall all the time in TEXAS too lol

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

If it leaves needle holes, those should disapear when the quilt is washed.  It is so interesting listening to other problems, never having made ANY myself.  Hehehehe.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,706 Posts
Points 436,515
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 6:01 PM

Belinda

I would use the seam ripper and take them apart.  Once you redo the applique and wash the quilt it should be fine.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025
Belinda replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 10:11 PM

Seam ripping isn't working too good . I can "cut and paste" part of one applique that did not get stitched before I saw . I have already made two new squares this evening and will try to use part of cutout part to finsh making a pillow to match . thanks for your quick replies .

Belinda

ROLL TIDE !!!!!! 

B. Roberts

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025
Belinda replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 10:14 PM

I will post pic of finished squares in the next day or two . ROLL TIDE !!!

B. Roberts

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,302 Posts
Points 414,089
gini replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 11:58 PM

belinda, i've sewn everything to my quilts including my finger.   the needle went right under the top layer of skin, and when i tried to move my finger to the top,  the block moved with it.  i just stared at  that block, couldn't figure out what was going on, then i noticed my finger felt weird.  my eyes could see what was happening, but my brain wasn't processing it?  i've stitched my shirt to the block,  again my eyes took it in, but the brain was a little slower in figuring it out.  i can't tell you how many times i've sewn the corner of the block down as i stitched. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,465 Posts
Points 137,978

My latest adventure on boo boo's was setting my stitch length too small and quilting a rumple in the back of my quilt. Now I can't get in there to rip the seams out.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
544 Posts
Points 3,805
Paula replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 6:05 AM

A boo-boo you say,nnaahhh we never make those...HA,HA,HA...make them all the time of some sort. Almost all of them are trial and error, start with what you think is easiest, then go from there. At least that's what I do. 

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025

Here's pics of finished Sunbonnet Sue and Fisherman Fred squares, ya'll wanted to see . The extra Fred at top of pic is the "boo-boo' , I salvaged and redid . Thanks again , folks !! ROLL TIDE !!!

B. Roberts

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025

B. Roberts

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use