HELP needed for a FAST signature quilt pattern

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,479 Posts
Points 41,345
Mimi posted on Tue, Sep 20 2011 5:08 PM

Our long time school secretary announced today that she was leaving to take a better paying, less stressful job.  She is truly the heart and soul of our school.  Her last day will be Oct. 3 so I have no time to waste.  You all are so generous with your suggestions.  Does anyone know a fast, easy signature quilt pattern?  Thanks so much to all of you.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,479 Posts
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:07 PM

Lenette:
I was wondering if you would share the amount of fabric needed for this project, the completed size, what type of fabric pen used, and any other hints if possible. Thank you!

Hi Lenette,

Sister, you and I are both crazy quilters.  Here are some suggestions I would make now that I've done this quilt:

1. Have PLENTY of extra fabric on hand.  Even though you tell the participants how to do the writing, they make mistakes and have to use another square.  I made 25 more squares than the pattern called for because of various reasons. I didn't use stabilizer underneath the blocks but did provide a small cutting mat for a hard surface. I ran out of the light fabric and finally told everyone that I didn't have any more fabric left so they had to be careful with their messages.  I would suggest you ask them to write down exactly what they want to say on a piece of paper before going to sign the square.  I did have a sample available for a model.  It is a nice sized quilt.  I think the dimensions are on my gallery page.
  2. DRAW the 1/4 seam allowance lines on the squares lightly with a pencil.  If you don't the participants will not leave the room you need to sew the blocks together.  They don't foresee the need for the seam. We got all staff to sign a block.  Some like to go together like the custodians, lunchroom staff, and the before and after school care givers.
  3. I did go to www.quilterscache.com as gini suggested.  That is where I found the square. I can't tell you how much fabric I used. I had at least 1 yd each of the yellow and blue in the quilt.  Others were from my stash. 
  4. We used Micron Pigma dark blue pens size 05.  The pen color matched the blue in the quilt.  Get multiple pens so many can sign a square at the same time.  We used 4.
  5. Have a central location at the school which is hidden from the recipient to sign the squares if this is a surprise.  We used a back room in the library that could be locked.  I checked with the librarian first to make sure she was on board with the idea.
  6. Don't let the squares and pens leave the room you decide to use.  You will have to buy more pens and make more squares if you do. (See why I had to make so many extra squares? LOL)

That's about all I can remember for now.  If you can find another person to help you sew the squares together that would really help move your project along.  Especially a stay at home mom or retired teacher who could sew them during the day when you're at work. Oh ..... I do remember I wanted to do more quilting on it but I couldn't because it would have made the messages difficult to read.  I thought it better to be able to read all the good wishes.  Thanks for asking my help.  Good luck with your project and welcome to QCA.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 310

Hi Mimi,

Yes, we must be crazy quilters. Thank you very much for answering me so quickly and for giving great suggestions. I found some fabric today that I think will do nicely.  Our school colors are green, white, and black. 

The fabric store was out of black micron pigma pens, so I will probably head to Joann's Fabric tomorrow. Washing, drying, ironing, and cutting fabric is on the list of things to do tonight. :-)

Thanks again!

Lenette

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,479 Posts
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 8:11 PM

Looking good Lenette. Nice masculine school themed fabric. Be sure to take a picture when your finished.  We would love to see your end result.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
59 Posts
Points 590
The Rail and Fence moves fast and then there is just the Friendship Star which generally means alot to someone or the Railroad Block moves extremely fast.

Blessings,

Pat F, Jamestown, NY

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use