Which machine?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 195
sewbythesea Posted: Sun, Sep 18 2011 8:18 PM

Thinking a purchasing a Machine just for sewing and quilting.  What would you all recommend?

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 9:42 PM

Usually when this question comes up, the most common answer is to get a machine that has a dealer near you.  It makes a big difference to have a dealer near by who not only can answer questions, and give lessons, but who will honor the warranty should any problems arise. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 290
skporto replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 9:48 PM

I agree with Patti, and be sure you can try out the different machines and like them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 8:18 AM

I agree with Patti and Sandy.

I bought a Janome 6600 a few weeks ago and just finished  piecing a quilt top on it.  So far I'm very happy with it.  It has a longer arm than my Bernina which will be nice when I quilt the top.

This may be a good time to be shopping for a machine with all of the sales during National Sewing Month :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 11:26 AM

get one with as big a throat space as you can afford for quilting

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 2,520
JAP replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 8:30 PM

I bought the Janome Memory Craft Professional 6600 about a year and a half ago.  Overall, I'm very happy.  It is the nicest machine I've ever owned.  It came with three years free service.

These are my favorite things about it: 

Thread cutter Button (no more clipping threads from the back of the quilt)

Built-in heavy duty Dual Feed Sewing Foot (It works like a dream.)

Great assortment of attachments  (Super buttonhole attachment)

Wide throat area

Built in needle threader

Plenty of decorative & utility stitches

Programmable Monogramming (but it is tricky to learn)

The foot control is easy to use.  You can remove it and sew with the start button- which works well on long runs when making curtains.

Things I don't like:

Knee lift is made wrong.  Too uncomfortable to use.

Mine is a flat bed.  I believe they have come out with a free arm.

Bobbin Winds too slowly and not evenly.  (I need to have the repair man take a look at it.)

Things I wished it had:

Stitch regulator for free motion quilting.

I've made and quilted several quilts, made curtains, and hemmed and repaired garments.  I still don't know how to use everything.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 8:36 PM

I have a Bernina 435 that I love but the throat space is too small to quilt a large quilt.  Too much pulling and shoving to get the quilt under the throat.   I also have a Janome Horizon 7700 which has a large throat space and is much easier to do my quilting.  Even king size.  Both are great machines.

I do recommend that you buy the most machine that you can afford.  I also highly recommend that you find a dealer close to you with good service.  All of the big brand machines....Pfaff, Viking, Babylock, Janome, Bernina....  are excellent machines.  Just try to decide what the must haves are for you and look for a close reputable dealer.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 3,725
Melissa replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 8:46 PM

I love my Janome 6600 too. I really like the needle threader and the thread cutter. I miss the free arm a little, but I have one on my other machine. I also don't like the knee lift, but my bobbin winds fine. I also like the ability to sew with a button rather than a pedal. As I am learning to FMQ, I keep forgetting to keep the pressure from my foot even and the button does that for me.

Melissa
http://ardeasnest.blogspot.com
"Love isn't what makes the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile."

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 195

I bit the bullet and bought the Janome Horizon.  Played around with it this afternoon and really like it so far.  It's a dream sewing.

Selling my Ellegante 2 since I have a professional embroidery machine now.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 8:59 PM

I had the 6600 then upgraded to the 7700 love them both, but I do think the 6600 sewed better

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 230
Wendy replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 9:15 PM

I researched a lot on quilting and sewing forums on the internet and read a lot of reviews and opinions.  I bought a Baby Lock Decorator's Choice because I wanted a user friendly machine with a needle threader and thread cutter.  I'm enjoying it so far. 

Wendy

Minnesota

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use