Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615
Janice D. Green Posted: Wed, Sep 14 2011 10:34 PM

My Creation Bible Quilt top is stitched, stretched and pinned. At the moment it is still stuck down to the table with tape that hasn't held very tightly.

I hope to enter this quilt in competitions in the future and don't want to do something foolish in the way I approach the final quilting. I would like to display it this Saturday, pins and all if necessary, for my book signing. My Bible storybook, The Creation which was illustrated using these quilt blocks.

I have considered using my standard sewing machine with it's walker foot to stitch along all the straight edges, something I might be able to accomplish before Saturday. Then I could go back and hand quilt inside the pictures using a very large hoop designed for quilting. Would I have done myself a great disservice to use both machine quilting and hand quilting on the same quilt? The pictures are hand applique.

I broke my machine trying to do the freestyle quilting about a year ago and don't want to pay another $130 to get it repaired again. I don't have a big budget for quilting so like to do what I can myself. I suspect a long arm quilter would not be the best approach for outlining the hexagon shapes, though it might be OK around the pictures.

Janice Green

www.Biblequilts.com

Janice 

Bible Quilts, www.biblequilts.com

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:12 PM

Janice

Your quilt is stunning but I am sorry I have no ideas on the best way to quilt it.  Will have to think on that awhile.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615

Thanks, Nana.

My biggest concern is whether I will be shooting myself in the foot by starting with machine stitching on the sashing if I plan to hand quilt the rest later. I hope others will chime in as I have only two days to quilt the sashing before my book signing if I decide to go that route.

Janice 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,044
gini replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 10:26 AM

i've been pondering your quilt, i know you are planning on hand quilting in the blocks, but how about an all over pattern, with a sun up in the corner and straight rays radiating out from it down over the blocks

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615

That is an idea worth thinking about. If I did that would it be in place of even the quilting on the sides of the sashing blocks? My pins are currently lined up for me to sew the sashing. I want to decide quickly and move on. The idea of straight lines is appealing as I can handle that on my machine.

Janice 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,044
gini replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 10:35 AM

yes, i woudl cover the entire quilt and i would make the lines pretty close

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,825
Points 352,597
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 2:57 AM

Janice the quilt looks great. I love Gini's idea for quilting it.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,615

Gini and Kris, I love Gini's suggestion, and may regret that I didn't go with it. I don't have enough room to spread out my quilt to draw the lines without taking it elsewhere. I'm under a lot of pressure for my time so I stuck to my original plan. There are more books to write and illustrate with hand applique and a Creation Bible Quilt coloring book to complete and put online. And I'm being pulled in every direction to market my first book, The Creation. I'll post this quilt when it is finished.

My next book/quilt project will be about the biblical account of Jesus' birth. I think I'll have to design a tree skirt to go with it as well as a quilt top.

Janice

www.Biblequilts.com

Janice 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use