Top 10 Posters

what can I make for small gifts to trade?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
35 Posts
Points 560
Merrilee posted on Wed, Sep 14 2011 10:37 AM

I'm going to a mixed media convention soon, I'll be working in the fabric doll art classes..but I want to make something small to trade with other attendees.  While I know this is not an involved quilting question, I thought that maybe some of you might have ideas or links to ideas.  I've been doing internet searches and beyond the usual ATC's....art trading cards....I can't seem to word my search to get any results. I'd be grateful for some ideas, if you have any to share. 

Thanks, Merrilee

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,579 Posts
Points 118,650

Merrilee:

..but I want to make something small to trade with other attendees.  ..... grateful for some ideas, if you have any to share. 

Thanks, Merrilee

Merrilee. what about potholders? You could make very simple 9 patch blocks, or a plain block with a simple applique in the center.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Tissue covers seem to be popular.  Especially in fancy fabric.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,060
Jacy replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 10:58 AM

There are lots of patterns for cute pin cushions, every one uses pins even doll makers.

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 55
Sunnie replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:21 AM

How 'bout Quilted Pot Holders.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:21 AM

Merrilee

Potholders, coasters, pincushions are all neat ideas for trades.  Coasters are especially easy and quick to make.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
278 Posts
Points 5,200
kim replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 4:43 PM

How big do you make the pot holders? I was suckered    asked to be in a craft fair for my aunts church. I know they usually only sell things that are $5 or less. I was thinking tissue holders and pencil rolls.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,579 Posts
Points 118,650

kim:

How big do you make the pot holders? 

I just finished five potholders out of Maxine fabric and made them about 6-1/2" square.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Female
64 Posts
Points 1,010

Hi Merrilee, I just finished 30 bookmarks for baby shower favors (everyone is supposed to bring a book).  They took no time at all and made them with fabric and fusible interfacing I had on hand.  If you just google "fabrick bookmark tutorial" you'll find some easy free patterns if you need one.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 9:07 PM

I've seen people make a lil carrying case also with fabric or a wine holder.

Not Ranked
Female
35 Posts
Points 560
Merrilee replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:36 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas!  Needlecases also come to mind.  Now, I'll just have to look things up and get to work.  The bookmarks are really applealing as I need to make about 40 items.  Than you,  Merrilee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

I made a needle case by taking really thick pellon and a piece of felt.  cut the pellon to a usable size (good instructions, hey??)  cut the felt a little larger and layer and stitch it down the middle.  done.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,532 Posts
Points 138,998

Merrilee:
I'll be working in the fabric doll art classes..but I want to make something small to trade with other attendees. 

Fabric Doll Art.....Hmmm....Maybe mini mardi gras masks made of angelina fibers and embellished, doll size earrings ,mini necklaces, easy mini quilts, A quilted (sleeping bag :)  doll case that a doll could be slipped into for travel, a small gift pouch with a few mini trims inside.....

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 130

Thanks for the tip on making fabric bookmarks. It sounds perfect for the small craft sale I'm going to participate in November.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use