Top 10 Posters

Quilting Dear Jane

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 100
Jludeman posted on Mon, Sep 12 2011 11:08 AM

I am nearly finished piecing a Dear Jane quilt.  I only have one side of the triangles left to do.  Yeh!!

My dilemnna now is what quilting design works best for this pattern.  I have a long-arm machine and will be doing it myself.  I used a scrappy fabric approach -- so I have lots of different colors.

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 11:40 AM

hi jludeman,  welcome to the group and congrats on nearly finishing your dear jane.  i  finished the sylvia's bridal quilt a few months ago and am having the same dilemma.   the LAQer thinks that since it is hand pieced i should hand quilt it.  not wanting to do that, but i still can't decide how i want it done.  i'll be interested in how you decide to quilt it.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,852 Posts
Points 366,437
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 12:45 PM

I think something subtle would be nice. The beauty of this quilt is in the blocks. You don't want your quilting to overwhelm them. I'm planning on outlining the shapes in each block; hand quilting. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,213 Posts
Points 24,525

Sorry to sound uninformed, what is a Dear jane quilt??

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 2,270
Sherry replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 12:53 PM

I'm afraid to even tackle a Dear Jane, so bless you for your bravery. An older lady in know did one and hers was ooutlined on the blocks and feathering lightly in between. It was absolutely gorgeous. Good luck.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,213 Posts
Points 24,525

Just googled it, and OH MY! congradultaions on finiseing your quilt

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 1:05 PM

Congratulations on doing your Dear Jane.  I did a few of the blocks and decided I just plain didn't have the patience.  Kudos to you.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

WOWO ,good to hear someone is getting close to being done , I'm only about half finished with mine, I thin Kris 's idea is the best and will more then likely do the same sorta quiltling to mine. look foward to seeing a picture of yours ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Check out the Green Fairy site.  she did one, I'll never ever do quilting that intricate but you may get some ideas from her site.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Green Fairy Quilts: Dear Jane. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
428 Posts
Points 7,640

Wow Elizabeth....I didn't know what a Dear Jane quilt was either.  Just checked out Vivian's suggestion - Green Fairy and holy cow....what a beautiful, incredible, intricate quilt.  Absolutely stunning. 

Kim in Calgary

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Kim, check out the Dear Jane sites.  It will give you history and has a block of the day/week/month club.  I have no idea how many blocks there are in the Dear Jane, but there are way to many for this girl.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
428 Posts
Points 7,640

Shall do.  This is all new to me!

Kim in Calgary

Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 735
abbey replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 4:06 PM

Congrats on being nearly done. It's something that I'm not sure I will ever be able to tackle. I can't really offer any advice on how to quilt it, but I wanted to say good luck and that I do hope you figure something out that will be as beautiful as I am sure the quilt is.

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 495

My curiosity got the best of me , I checked Dear Jane quilt online, Oh My Gosh, I would be blind and crosseyed If I tried something this small and intricate, congrats. on you almost finishing this quilt, since you did so many colors I would think quilting it without takeing away from the colors and patterns of your fabric.  Good Luck.  Hope you post a picture of the quilt when finished.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use