gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 89
Points 1,011
Twiggy replied on Sat, Aug 21 2010 2:09 PM

althea -

i think i learned this in a class awhile back. do you have the web address for the site? i'd like to save it in my computer.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,247
Points 239,887
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 21 2010 2:57 PM

Twiggy, this was my own tutorial - not from a web page!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Aug 21 2010 8:53 PM

Thea I wished I'd seen this before I 'd done my first quilt,sure would have been alot easier. What a great  tutorial..thanks Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660
CJ Hines replied on Sun, Aug 22 2010 10:45 AM

Your explanation for finishing the binding where it meets makes the most sense of anything I've seen. I'm going to give that a try!

thanks.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 90
PamMcNair replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:28 PM

I'm a beginning quilter and I have a double wedding ring quilt top my Great-Grand-Mother pieced.  For years I've been putting off starting to quilt it because I don't know how to bind the curved edges.  Any ideas or instructions on how to bind all those inner points between the mid point of the "rings" that make up the scalloped edge?  I'm not sure what the correct terms are for the descriptions but I need help!  Is it possible to extend a border around the scalloped edge and then bind a straight edge?  Which brings another question..how would I attach a border to the scalloped edge?  I'm fair at sewing but not very experienced  at quilting so "easy" is necessary please.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated!!  I can follow (slowly) your bias binding instructions if that's a gauge of my ability, or lack thereof. 

This is my first post, ever, so I hope it's alright for me to put this here!

Pam in Alabama

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:33 PM

Pam

Yes it is perfectly ok to put your question here.   I would leave the scalloped edges and use a bias binding.   If you cut your bias strips and sew them together you can adjust it around the scallops and inner points.  I am sorry to say that I am not good at explaining how to do this but hopefully someone else can help.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,864
gini replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 2:32 AM

pam it would be the same amount or more work to put fabric behind the scallop to have a straight edge to bind.   you can also leave the binding off.   fold the front and the back of the quilt in towards each other so they are even on the edge and slip stitch all the way around.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977

Hi Pam welcome to the club

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145

Great tutorial Thea

Granny M

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 590

I have learned to bind in a sewing class, but I practiced by making place mats, and the more practice the better.  Simply stitch to the end using your normal straight stitch, and go to the end.  Stitch backward about an inch leaving your needle down.  Lift your foot, and turn your binding up  folding it upward, and then fold back down allowing about an inch.  Lay it over your sticking and stitch the corner and continue on.  Your binding when folder up should shaped like a backward L.  When being stitched in upsidedown L.

Blessings,

Pat F, Jamestown, NY

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 90

Thank you to all of you for your input.  The bias binding is the way I want to go, but the inner points are the places I'm a little worried about.  I think I'll make a practice piece and give it a try before I get started on the actual quilt.  The idea of no binding makes sense too...hadn't thought of that.  Thanks also for the very nice welcome..I LOVE this site!!

Pam in Alabama

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:37 PM

Welcome,Pam.  I was intimidated by this type of binding in the beginning, too.  It's easier than it sounds and I'm sure you'll do fine with the bias binding with just a little practice.

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 3,135
Peggy replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 11:50 AM

Thanks- I have always had trouble with miters/  one question: Do both sides of the corner show the miter? 

from Minnesota

Page 2 of 3 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use