Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 41 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 8:45 AM

I don't have any of this organization you all keep talking about....maybe that's why I run out of fabric part way through a project.  I tried placing like-sized pieces in the same bin....but then I ran out of room and everything I had done was for naught.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 5:48 PM

I use a ruler as a "bolt" and slide it out too for flat folds.  I store my fabric in my Mother's old fashioned china cabinet.  It is special to me because Mother & Dad  bought it  around 30 years ago in the early 80's as an unfinnished piece. You could get Great furniture cheap if you were willing to do the finnishing.  Dad did the sanding (I know she sent it back to him at least once as not smooth enough at the inside corners) and Mother did the staining and varnishing.  They were both in their late 60's ( 66 & 67) at the time.  Mother used steel wool between each coat of varnish (no poly coat then!) and it has at least 4 coats.  It has darkened over the years due both to time and surviving a fire (smoke & heat damage) but the finnish is still smooth and unbroken.  AND a great place to store fabric.  It is 5 feet long, 6 feet tall and only 13 inches deep, counting the doors.  The top 2/3 has glass doors, the bottom 1/3 solid wood. fabric  up to 3 yards is stored by color in the top part, batting, backing, and larger cuts in the bottom.  I try to keep the top neat but you know how that goes. Mother was with me the last 8 years of her life after Dad died and was pleased when we brought her furniture to her 'Mother in law" addition we built for her.  It was her idea to use the cabinet for fabric storage since we both quilted and had tons!  And I Still do.  Mother  was almost 92 when she died and up until the last 16 months of her life was still making quilt blocks by hand.  I should be so blessed.  Of course having an active Mother with me as long as I did is a blessing that can never be topped.  God loves me.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 230
Wendy replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 8:27 PM

Thank you for sharing about your mom, Flojo.  The cabinet is a great idea.  Lost my mom two years ago and reading about a good relationship with your mom just made me feel good tonight.

Thanks.

Wendy

Wendy

Minnesota

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 8:47 PM

Hi Wendy!  What part of Minnesota are you from?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 3,725
Melissa replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 10:13 AM

That is a great story, Flojo. And I would love to have a china cabinet to store fabric in. I love to be able to see the fabric and I store it on shelves, but I worry about dust all the time. The glass doors would solve that.

Melissa
http://ardeasnest.blogspot.com
"Love isn't what makes the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile."

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 10:53 AM

Is there any concern about stored fabric fading?  My fabric is on shelves in a closet without doors.  Direct sunlight never hits it, but the room is plenty bright.  Should I sew a large curtain to hang across the opening?

Would anyone care to post a picture of your fabric wrapped around those cardboard pieces?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 12:42 PM

Nancy,

here's a small part of my stash. Most of these are bolts from the LQS that were cut in half.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 2:07 PM

Kris

Your stash looks really nice.  I really like the gold with leaves on the top and the pink and brown piece and all the neutrals on the top.  You could just send those to me if you don't have room for all your stash......LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 4:44 PM

It's interesting that you have your stash on a bookshelf.  I was just reading that some furniture manufacturer (Ikea?) was discontinuing bookshelf units.  With the advent of ebooks, apparently few people are buying printed/bound books anymore, and so there is little demand for these types of shelves.  If you need more, you might find a clearance sale on them! 

Do the fabrics you bundle on comic book cardboard look much different than this?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:08 PM

This one is late but here's the fabric that's wrapped around the comic book cards. I like these better as I can fit more on a shelf:

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:10 PM

Nana:

Kris

Your stash looks really nice.  I really like the gold with leaves on the top and the pink and brown piece and all the neutrals on the top.  You could just send those to me if you don't have room for all your stash......LOL

Thanks Nana. This shelf is in the hallway outside my sewing room (no space inside). That gold fabric was $3 per yard at the LQS so I bought the bolt. 

Don't count on my sending you any "extra" there's no such thing here. LOL.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:38 PM

I do love that cat print fabric on top. Is that 3D? lol

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 8:34 PM

Kris:
This one is late but here's the fabric that's wrapped around the comic book cards. I like these better as I can fit more on a shelf:

Oh, now that is slick!  Okay, I'm off to Amazon to see if I can find the cards.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 8:41 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

I do love that cat print fabric on top. Is that 3D? lol

Sukochi,

that's my attack cat Orca. Guardian of the stash. Don't let the cute face fool you. LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 8:45 PM

Kris:
Don't count on my sending you any "extra" there's no such thing here. LOL.

I was afraid you were going to say that....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use