Top 10 Posters

need pattern idea for a Black and White quilt w/ one other color for accent.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 22 verified answers | 46 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Peggy posted on Tue, Sep 6 2011 12:19 AM

I've been requested to make a queen size quilt in blacks and whites w/ a bright fuchsia as an accent color.  I've looked through the 'show and tell' pics and mostly they are too traditional for this person.  Can anyone offer some pattern ideas to help me choose?  I am a fairly accomplished quilter but have not even tried any applique so i need to stay away from those suggestions.  Looking forward to getting some input. 

• | Post Points: 155

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,847 Posts
Points 85,755
Verified by Peggy

Great idea. I am also going to do a b/w quilt for my son. He is a late blooming hippy so got some fabric that looks like tie dye for the backing.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 55
Top 75 Contributor
1,496 Posts
Points 30,450
Answered (Verified) Diana replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:19 AM
Verified by Peggy

I just finished a black and white with red centers log cabin in the barn raising setting.  I had white fabric with black print and black with white prints.    It turned out absolutely gorgeous.  Used the same red as in the centers for the border.  It's at the long armer or I would have shown a pic.

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 150 Contributor
Female
435 Posts
Points 6,960
Answered (Verified) Mz M replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:29 AM
Verified by Peggy

Peggy:

I've been requested to make a queen size quilt in blacks and whites w/ a bright fuchsia as an accent color.  I've looked through the 'show and tell' pics and mostly they are too traditional for this person.  Can anyone offer some pattern ideas to help me choose?  I am a fairly accomplished quilter but have not even tried any applique so i need to stay away from those suggestions.  Looking forward to getting some input. 

My son and DIL want a CA King and chose the Urban Cabin in Stonehenge Jewel. It is quite modern and after thinking on it this would be a beautiful quilt in black and whites. Actually I am going to do the Urban Cabin in Coffee for myself but black and white sounds pretty.

• | Post Points: 25
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,009 Posts
Points 19,440
Verified by Peggy

Peggy- In the Fall/Winter 2011 Quilt Sampler magazine there is a black and white on page 93 that caught my eye.

Beth

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Verified by Peggy

Annie,

That quilt is beautiful!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 6:50 PM
Verified by Peggy

Very pretty quilt Joni.  Thanks for sharing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
435 Posts
Points 6,960
Answered (Verified) Mz M replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 9:10 AM
Verified by Peggy

Mz M:

My son and DIL want a CA King and chose the Urban Cabin in Stonehenge Jewel. It is quite modern and after thinking on it this would be a beautiful quilt in black and whites. Actually I am going to do the Urban Cabin in Coffee for myself but black and white sounds pretty.

This son called  me yesterday and I told him that I was having a difficult time locating the fabric of choice for this quilt. He then asked me if I had enough of that fabric on hand to make a smaller qulit - you know.....like a baby quilt!!!!!!!!!!!   He and my DIL have been married for 9 years and did not want any children but they changed their mind and didn't let anyone know and they got pregnant right away. They decided they want the same quilt but maybe in a different color scheme as well as a matching smaller quilt for the baby's bed. Think I'll make a twin size to go on a regular size bed and then a couple of regular baby quilts.  whoooo whooooo I'm gonna be a grandma again!!

• | Post Points: 115
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 11:11 AM
Verified by Peggy

Congratulations Mz M.  You are going to have so much fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
435 Posts
Points 6,960
Answered (Verified) Mz M replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 11:37 AM
Verified by Peggy

Peggy:

Kim and Giddy each did a disappearing nine patch that are beautiful! This would be a fun pattern and easy as well as being striking in black and whites with an accent color.  I love their quilts so much I have decided to make myself one but have yet found the time or the fabric – it’s on my list!!  You can see their quilts in the gallery by looking for ninepatch.

This pattern would be fun in baby fabrics......Hmmm just talked myself into it.

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Answered (Verified) Peggy replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 12:57 PM
Verified by Peggy

Nancy - thank you for pointing that out.  I'm kinda new to this site and it is not very user friendly.  I did not find a help page to explain the methods.  There is no search option if looking for a certain topic. How is "quick reply" different from "reply"?  Thanks to people like you I'll learn my way around.

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Answered (Verified) Peggy replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 1:01 PM
Verified by Peggy

Joni -  That might be just the pattern!  I've seen turning 20's before and had not really liked them but to see it in black and white has changed my mind.    I'm so glad you included your pictures.  This is just the kind of help I have needed.  Love it!!

would you mind sending the jpeg to my email address so i can show my daughter that quilt.  You have my word that I will not abuse your email address.  steveswife1974@yahoo.com

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Answered (Verified) Peggy replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 1:03 PM
Verified by Peggy

Mz M-  that is the most clever way I've heard of announcing a pregnancy.  That's wonderful news and the very happiest quilting moments.

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Answered (Verified) Peggy replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 1:08 PM
Verified by Peggy

Eileen-  I checked out that site and bookmarked it.  Not the type quilt I'd try my B&W in but a very interesting concept.  I've done stack and slash before but this is a bit different which looks like it would be fun to try.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,503 Posts
Points 50,705
Answered (Verified) Ginny replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 4:32 PM
Verified by Peggy

What great news!!  Now you will be busy making quilts.......Ginny

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 665
Verified by Peggy

Check out the quilts on the Maywood Studio page.  It's in the Contests section here.

http://www.eeschenck.com/default.asp?SuperStore=348&s=348

There are a couple that are very nice in black and white with an accent color.  The link above is just one of them. 

They have fabric and patterns.

MN Kellie - By the banks of Highway 35, south of the Cities.

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 665
Verified by Peggy

The link didn't go to the place I thought. After you go to the site, go to the Quilt Gallery and then Flor D Lune - there is a pattern for 'Trip Around The World' and some other nice patterns using black and white.

MN Kellie - By the banks of Highway 35, south of the Cities.

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 295
Verified by Peggy

I asked my son what colors he wanted me to make his quilt in and he said Black and White.  I chose the Rocky Mountain block and made the attached quilt.  He loved it!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
435 Posts
Points 6,960
Answered (Verified) Mz M replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 1:30 PM
Verified by Peggy

Mz M:

Mz M:

This son called  me yesterday and I told him that I was having a difficult time locating the fabric of choice for this quilt. He then asked me if I had enough of that fabric on hand to make a smaller qulit - you know.....like a baby quilt!!!!!!!!!!!   He and my DIL have been married for 9 years and did not want any children but they changed their mind and didn't let anyone know and they got pregnant right away. They decided they want the same quilt but maybe in a different color scheme as well as a matching smaller quilt for the baby's bed. Think I'll make a twin size to go on a regular size bed and then a couple of regular baby quilts.  whoooo whooooo I'm gonna be a grandma again!!

Quilters are an amazing group of women and men! Last week I went to my LQS and told them of the difficult time I was having trying to locate a certain fat quarter bundle and strip bundle to make a CA King. Yesterday I get a call from them to confirm how many bundles I wanted of this fabric and I increased the fabric amount to accommodate the matching baby quilt - NO PROBLEM! It's on order. Quilters are so ready to help with a problem, give encouragement, made suggestions and so much more. Just look at all the responses to Peggy's request. I'm so glad to have found this site and the incredibly talented women and men here!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790
Verified by Peggy

Congratulations Mz M!!

On both the new BABY  and

The FABRIC

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Verified by Peggy

Mz M,

A great big CONGRATULATIONS on the news of a new grandchild. Being a Grandma nine times over, it is always very exciting news!

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Answered (Verified) Peggy replied on Sun, Sep 11 2011 11:13 PM
Verified by Peggy

Kellie-  Finally found the one you were suggesting that I look at.  I love that fabric collection!  Trip around the world would be neat w/ one accent color.  I'll  have my daughter take a look at that one too.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Answered (Verified) Peggy replied on Sun, Sep 11 2011 11:16 PM
Verified by Peggy

Muriel,  I did not see the quilt you attached.  I don't know how to attach pictures to this forum either so I can't help.  Not familiar w/ the Rocky Mountain Block by name.  I'll see what I get when I google it. 

All Replies

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Peggy replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 4:48 PM

I love that quilt too but it's a traditional pattern and my daughter is looking for a more abstract look.  She knows I am a traditional quilter so I'm stretching my creative  boundaries to even think of an abstract pattern.  If I leave it up to her she'll pick something I hate . . .   Have you ever worked on a quilt you hate?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Peggy replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 4:50 PM

I won't probably start quilt until the first of Oct.  If you get it back from the quilter by then would you post the picture to this link? I'd really love to see it. 

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Peggy replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 4:57 PM

I guess I'll have to look for that magazine the next time I get to a newsstand.  I've been looking for a idea for almost a year.  Some are to intricate and are to traditional and some have applique.  I saw a book called Urban Quilts on Amazon.com (via a suggestion from one of the other participants ) and it might have some great designs.  I am sure enjoying the input from the group and hope to eventually get the idea and inspiration I need. 

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Peggy replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:02 PM

Wow,  I have not seen this before.  I'm going to buy the book even if my daughter doesn't like this pattern.  I see many possibilities. Thank you for sharing this information.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Peggy - just a friendly suggestion - name the person you are replying to.  You've replied to a lot of the responses, but I have no idea which comment is going to who.  Not being critical - hopefully just helpful.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Peggy replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:14 PM

That's 2 funny.  I had a ton of wonderful 70's hippy type clothes.  Wish I had saved them for the kids to enjoy today. 

Not Ranked
27 Posts
Points 860
Peggy replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:24 PM

Althea-Thanks for the info on Annie's quilt pattern.  Fons and Porter-Love of Quilting is my favorite quilting magazine but I let my subscription end a couple years ago.  Need to see if our library has it.  I'll check out the other suggestions by doing a google search.  Thanks for your input. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:55 PM

Peggy,

I used a turning twenty pattern with a slight modification.  Also used Lime green for an accent.

It is a very easy quick one to make and fuschia would be an awesome accent.  Takes 20 fat quarters.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,720
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 6:50 PM
Verified by Peggy

Very pretty quilt Joni.  Thanks for sharing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
435 Posts
Points 6,960
Answered (Verified) Mz M replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 9:10 AM
Verified by Peggy

Mz M:

• | Post Points: 115
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 9:53 AM

congratulations mzm

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,009 Posts
Points 19,440

Congrats!!! Sounds like an easier project for you also.

Beth

Not Ranked
Female
54 Posts
Points 750
Wendy replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 10:06 AM

Congrats MzM!  How exciting!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,583 Posts
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 10:24 AM

Mz M:
whoooo whooooo I'm gonna be a grandma again!!

Congratulations, Mz M...what a great surprise!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,809 Posts
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 11:08 AM

Peggy, I don't know if it's too traditional for these folks or not but I made a crazy quilt with a pattern from Two Kwik Quilters. They have three "krazy" patterns as well as others.  You would have to have between 9-12 different fabrics for the "Krazy" patterns to work.  Their website is: http://www.twokwikquilters.net/id63.html      The turning twenty pattern already mentioned is fun, too.  You could try searching Google for "modern quilt patterns" and see if something fits the bill.  Good luck!

Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use