Top 10 Posters

It's Time for MQ V!

Page 130 of 165 (2463 items) « First ... < Previous 128 129 130 131 132 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,462 Replies | 89 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 1:22 AM

Denise_Oregon:
I'm finished.

Nice work Denise. I like it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 2:39 AM

Denise -

I really like the way you laid your colors out - very attractive - the purple border just really sets it off.  Nice job.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,552
Points 47,805

I finally finished  taking my MQ back to the blocks. I had it sashed and borders on and just didn't like it so took it apart. I have sewed all the blocks together without sashing and like it much better. Now the borders are something else. I got rather frustrated last night because nothing looked right. With so many colors it seems like it would be easy to find somethng. I finally just got out the remainder of the jellyroll and will do something with that. The colors work since they are from the same fabric line. It is going to be a bit of a pain because I did have a little stretching of the bias blocks. I went slow and was very careful so it could have been a lot worse. I love this pattern, but will probably not make another one unless I starch the daylights out of it to hold those bias edges. Another thought I had was to mark each block and sew it THEN trim the seam. LOL, sounds like  I'm trying to talk myself into trying another one.

I don't know how anyone is going to choose one quilt to vote for. I haven't seen one I didn't like.  Wonderful quilts everyone!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 9:17 AM

Kris, Nancy, Barbara, Denise,  thank you all for the kind words.   I'm thinking of appliquing a small sun wearing sunglasses to put in one corner of the border.  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 359
Points 6,225
PennyWyo replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 10:51 AM

My finished Mystery Quilt!  I am so excited.  I am so thrilled with how this turned out.  The photo does not do it justice.  The fabrics are definitely me, very classic.  I've thought about changing my  QCA name to Classic Lady.  I love the purple.  I learned something through doing this.  I just went into my stash and pulled colors I enjoyed and though would go together well.  When I was finishing laying it out in the living room, I looked up and noticed all the colors were in my two sofas.  Obviously I like these colors and feel comfortable with them.  The colors going together was what I was most concerned about.  My biggest problem was deciding upon a border.  Thought about applique, piecing with  scraps from the blocks, mitred, etc.  Ended up with a simple border thanks to my sons input.  Anyway, it's definitely my favorite.  Now I have a problem.  I can't decide on a name.  My husband and I were throwing out names this morning like:  Queen Victori, Napa Valley, Purple Passion...but nothing seems to fit.  Does anyone have suggestions?  Thank you to Sandy H. for hosting this Mystery Quilt.  It was a joy. And thanks to Debbie for joining me.  It was great.

Penny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:07 AM

Penny

Your quilt is gorgeous.,  I too love purples.    How about    "Cross My Heart"

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:15 AM

I kind of like "Napa Valley" because it reminds me of the lush vineyards...but how about Vintage Wine.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,618
Points 48,375

PennyWyo:

I can't decide on a name.  My husband and I were throwing out names this morning like:  Queen Victori, Napa Valley, Purple Passion...but nothing seems to fit.  Does anyone have suggestions? 

How bout... 

1.  For the love of purple!  

2. Penny's Prize

3. Penny Lane

4. Purple makes the heart grow fonder.

5. Meadow in the Mist

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,373
Points 28,870

Pat Lancaster:
Another thought I had was to mark each block and sew it THEN trim the seam. LOL, sounds like  I'm trying to talk myself into trying another one.

Pat, I have had the same idea of sewing sashing on the blocks before trimming points.  Could help stabilize the bias.  I did the first by trimming the blocks but cutting all my sashing 12" long.  Since my first sashing is the white of the background, I didn't have to worry about how much the colored points were from the seam.  The second one will have dark sashing so don't know how I will disguise the variation.  Will worry about that tomorrow.

You probably WILL do another one!  I did 2 at a time - I don't recommend that for someone who has as little time as I do to sew.  Got home earlier than usual today because we had only one load of cattle to move and didn't take the time to shop for groceries as we usually do on Tuesdays.  The shopping will be Thursday so we will probably have 2 or 3 loads of cattle to move and won't get home until after dark and will have to shop Friday.  The store is over 30 miles away so hate to waste the fuel when we are passing by with the truck and trailer.  Of course, we have to walk from the back of the parking lot - not fun for us.  Rich is having a hip replaced next month and I will soon have my second knee replaced. (decided we both didn't need to be laid up at the same time, so put my surgery off.)

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,296
Points 26,610

Finished my top yesterday "Hawiian Sunset"  I like it more than I thought I would.  My DH could not hold it high enough so there is one of it on the floor.  Now I have to figure out how to post it in Viewers Choice

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 35

My favorite quilt is yours.  I absolutely love the colors that you used.  Bravo!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,296
Points 26,610

OOPS here is the second pic.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 2,395

Here's something to give you a smile.  Wonder how I guessed the mystery quilt design so early?  When the mystery startedI happened to be in the planning stages for these blocks:

Notice a family resemblence?  When we got to the step about sewing the background squares to those corner squares it became apparent to me how the block would go together.

I made these blocks using triangles on the sides instead of adding squares and trimming afterward.  Eleven more blocks to go and then decisions about sashing and borders..

When I used EQ to lay out my quilts and design the sashing/alternate blocks I found this album block in the block library,  Only a few lines needed to be changed to modify it to the mystery quilt block.

Jan the Calico Quilter

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 2,395

This is the other mystery quilt using the "Curio" line from Moda.  I'm liking my alternate setting blocks more and more.

This is my mother's Christmas present.  It's at the longarm quilter's this week.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 2:09 PM

Elizabeth

Very pretty quilt.  Nice bright colors.  Love the "sun" in the border.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 130 of 165 (2463 items) « First ... < Previous 128 129 130 131 132 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use