Top 10 Posters

It's Time for MQ V!

Page 50 of 165 (2463 items) « First ... < Previous 48 49 50 51 52 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,462 Replies | 89 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 6:57 AM

Anne, I love your fabric choice. What line it that? It's beautiful. What a pretty quilt this will be.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 7:39 AM

betty.tolliver@yahoo.com:
I would RATHER be QUILTING

Betty, I wish all turns out with the bridal dress.  Bless you for taking on a chore such as that.  I bet sandwiching 20 quilts was a piece of cake compared to that dress.  Did you have those quilts sandwiched before you bought into that course or did you get inspired by Wendy to do so?

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 330

As a former decorative painter, we call it ARTISTIC LICENSE.  And you are so right, when I mess up, I'm the only one that really notices it.  Guess we are all perfectionists at heart.  I bet the scrappy quilt will be great.  Especially since it is in BLUES, my favorite color.  YOU GO GIRL.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 8:11 AM

Annie, from what I can see, it looks light because all the light valued fabrics are on top - I see some mediums & darks sticking out :-)  You should be fine!

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 330

Annie, your worms look a lot like mine.  I'm still getting my worms in groups.  I am so far behind but it isn't really my fault.  Since I had rotator cuff surgery, I'm not allowed to cut.  I can sew with some limitations but absolutely no cutting.  I'm being lazy this week, think I overdid it last week so I've slept most of the day Monday and Tuesday.  My shoulder feels a lot better so if I can get my friend to help do the cutting, maybe I can start sewing after Friday's instructions.  BTW, I love your groups.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 8:37 AM

Eileen,

Yes I have arranged all the colors in order because my daughter wants the "A" fabric to be the lighter one of the three and since the "A" fabric has more 41/2 " cuts, I assume we'll see more of that fabric.  So I was trying to see what a lighter look would be like.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 8:38 AM

LaJuan,

It is a Moda Jelly Roll we got on sale through Quilt in a Day Website.  I hope it comes out nice!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 8:39 AM

I received my fabric yesterday, and I'm still not quite happy with it, but I guess I'll go ahead and use it anyway.  I can't wait any longer and I can't keep ordering more.  It's so tough to make a decision when you don't know what you're going to end up with.  They are my favorite colors so I guess I'll just hope for the best and start cutting.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 665
Kellie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:36 AM

Steps 1 and 2 are done!  I am still undecided about the border and sash, but have a few options.  Unfortunately, some of them are not quite large enough.  I will just wait and see.  I use cut up address labels that I write on to make my tags.  I use a strip cutter template to do the 2 and half inch squares.  It went pretty quickly.  Ready for STEP 3!

MN Kellie - By the banks of Highway 35, south of the Cities.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 765
Pat replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 10:12 AM

All of the fabrics posted are beautiful.  I have tried to post mine and must be photo incompentent since I haven't been able to post anything or change my avatar.

Pat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,685

Marie, Yes I would gladly take on another 20 quilts than do this dress [ for the mother of the bride]. All I do is sew and so that I don't fall into that hole of having a million top as ufo's , I get them all ready to quilt. I use spray adhesive so I don't have to have so many pins . I have books on machine quilting too and was going to start practicing when the dress problem came up. The online course  appealed to me and I hope to stop procrastinating and get to it . I figure if I have a good number of quilts to do [once I start on them]  It will be easier to go from one to another while everything is still fresh in my mind rather than stopping to make another quilt first.Also the material for the dress is a DARK plum ....Thank goodness for my Ottlite's , especially the new little one that you can clip to you. It is really bright to see the little stitches when frogging..Had my coffee,...time to get to the dress.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,384
Points 29,180
Marsha-SM replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 11:46 AM

betty.tolliver@yahoo.com:
the material for the dress is a DARK plum

Betty,

Good luck with your dress alterations.  I had to alter a dress for my daughter-in-law for her sister's wedding.  I wish I had had an Ottlite then.  Dark plum just sucks up all the light!  Her dress was heavy satin dark plum, fully-lined, sleeveless, fitted, and I had to take it in.  Because of the weight of the fabric and the heavy seams from the shaping, I had to do most of it by hand except for the side seams of the skirt.  Letting a dress out is more difficult mostly because of matching the fabric. 

I had another alteration project 25 years ago for my youngest daughter's wedding.  The bridesmaids dresses were RENTALS and none of them fit!  They were short sleeved and one of the girls was a little chunky.  The neckline was a plunging "V" which was too revealing for her and a few of the others.  I had to let out underarm seams on the sleeves, armholes, etc.  Hard to match peacock blue taffeta especially at the last minute!  I added modesty panels to the necklines and added to the sleeve seams and underarm seams.  Luckily it didn't show.  The dresses that were too big had to have large seam allowances because they might have to be let out for the next person.

I also got the new Craftsy course.  My "practice" quilts will be a stack of wheelchair quilts I have waiting.  I hand baste and hope the threads won't interfere.  On these it won't matter if a few threads remain.  They will be washed constantly and need plenty of quilting to make them sturdy, so a stray thread or two won't matter.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,633
Points 48,810
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 11:56 AM

Marsha-SM:

I also got the new Craftsy course.  My "practice" quilts will be a stack of wheelchair quilts I have waiting.  I hand baste and hope the threads won't interfere.  On these it won't matter if a few threads remain.  They will be washed constantly and need plenty of quilting to make them sturdy, so a stray thread or two won't matter.

Marsha,

I had a thought when watching the Craftsy course... she said not to thread baste if you're going to machine quilt, then she talked about water soluble thread that you can wash out after stablizing your quilt... why not thread baste with water soluble thread!?  Seems like a great solution to having to stop to remove pins as you're quilting!  Your thoughts?

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,633
Points 48,810
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 11:59 AM

Annie, your daughter chose well!  How old is she?

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:27 PM

Debbie,

My daughter is 25.  I have 2 older daughters.  I'm an old broad!  Here is my latest quilt for one of my grandsons.  One is 3 and the other is 6months.  They live far from me in VA.  Te great thing about this quilt is that the backing - which isn't done yet is 3-D fish pattered. It came with 3-D glasses too.  I have also added a 5" red stars border after this was taken.

• | Post Points: 95
Page 50 of 165 (2463 items) « First ... < Previous 48 49 50 51 52 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use