Top 10 Posters

Have you ever lost your quilting mojo? How did you get it back?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 60
Alice Posted: Thu, Sep 1 2011 6:01 PM

I worked hard on a project in early summer.  I thought I  was being so careful.  When I was finished a lot of points didn't match.  I became so discouraged that I lost faith in my quilting.  Recently, I've been watching a lot of Fons and Porter programs and found my spark coming back.  I decided to go back to basics and take it slow.  I'm just finishing a quilt top with fortunately no points to match!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 6:13 PM

That happened to me last winter. I was so discouraged that I just closed the door to my sewing room and didn't go back. Then this Spring, my DH said "You feel so good about yourself when you quilt. I hate to see you stop."  That did it, went back in there and still going strong.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

I find my interest waning in the summer - just so much else to do, especially with the little one on summer break, that I just don't want to be behind the machine. But the first time I detect the "fall feeling" in the air, I get the urge to visit the nearest quilt shop and that does it for me.  I'm hooked again.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 120

I was reading online somewhere last night about a man that gets an extraordinary number of things done in his life and his friends are amazed by him. He was asked how he could be so successful and he said it was easy...just start! That really hit home with me as I find my days blurring together and at the end of each, I wonder where the day went and why I got nothing accomplished. I see that I just didn't start!  So this evening I am going to START. Not sure what, but something and we'll see what that leads to. Maybe even me finishing something, but I know I can never get there until I at least start. Kinda makes sense.

Sally

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 6:44 PM

I can relate to that, Sally.  I am asked how I get so much done.  I don't think about it...I just do it.  I get frustrated at thinking about things for too long.  I watch my DH plan and talk about his next project and procrastinate and proctastinate and then complain that there isn't enough time to get it done...In the meantime, I have made three quilts!  So I agree!!! Just DO IT as they say.  It helps if you have a dedicated space for your quilting so you can sit down for 15 minutes if that's all you have without having to set up your stuff.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 10:06 PM

Alice

Don't beat yourself up over points that aren't matching.  Even quilters that have been quilting forever occasionally have points that don't match.  Finish that project and do your quilting and the only person that will ever notice those points will be you.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 121
Points 1,825
Ann W. replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 10:11 PM

That happened to me a couple years ago. Mine was health related.Than this past winter right before I had to have major surgery a lady asked me if when I got better if I could teach her to quilt.Well needless to say I am back to quilting.

So is she. She has made 12 quilts and 8 sets of pillows since the 10th of Feb. I started her out with simple squares. Since then she has gone on to all kinds of things. If I show her how to do something she makes a quilt. So I guess I am good at teaching if nothing else.

Now if I can just get my quilting room back in shape maybe than I will get more quilts done of my own. LOL.

Quilty Hugs

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 2:07 PM

I lost my quilt mojo several times throughout the years life just gets to busy. Then I decide to go back to it when life slows down or if I come across a pattern or want to finish a project from earlier. I just sometimes get inspiration coming back to work on a quilt. Sometimes I lose it because I didn't have the necessary skill for a certain quilt idea.  I get that one back when I take a class to learn the process that is needed.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use