Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today?

Page 432 of 764 (11453 items) « First ... < Previous 430 431 432 433 434 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11,452 Replies | 87 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Jun 28 2010 11:19 PM | Locked

Jeanine

I never did tell you how much I like you shade cascade quilt.   And the pattern really doesn't look too difficult but the overall design is amazing.   I also like your scrap quilt.  I am really beginning to love scrap quilts.   I guess because they remind me of the functional quilts that our grandmothers made.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 10,009
Jean replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 11:33 AM | Locked

Diane and Stephanie, 

You both asked about monofilament thread.  There is great information at http://www.superiorthreads.com with lots of educational info as well as product info.  I love their MonoPoly which is a polyester monofilament invisible thread that is soft and heat resistant unlike nylon monofilament which will melt.  Their clear has a matte-finish which doesn't leave a shiny effect on your quilt but blends into the color of the fabric instead.  They also have a Smoke color for using on dark fabrics.   Using their bottom line thread in the bobbin (color to blend with your backing fabric) with the MonoPoly on top works wonderfully.  This is a great method to use when you just can't find a color that will blend with your quilt top or there is a section that you don't want a color thread to show and just the quilting to take center stage blending instead of highlighting.  Hope this helps?  Always use a topstitch needle when using MonoPoly (#80/12) or if longarm a #14(MR30).  On your home machine an upper tension of 1.5 - 3.0 works well and on a longarm tension will need to be loose on both top and bottom.

Thanks to all also for you good wishes and welcoming me back.  It's great to be back!!

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767
Joyce Brenden replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 11:50 AM | Locked

Jeanine--

Your quilts are spectacular!  The color blending in the first one is gorgeous and that Debbie Mumm fabric is the perfect finishing touch for the 2nd quilt.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429
Diane Morgan replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:14 PM | Locked

Thanks Jean~

North of Boston MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,490
Points 46,770
Pat Lancaster replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:48 PM | Locked

Jeanine, your tops are beautiful. I really love the first one, it is quite impressive!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 270
Marymom replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 1:27 PM | Locked

not yet but will this afternoon, actually a "quilt top" I am going to make into a comforter or duvet cover for my daughter-finish cutting and start piecing.  Also on the list: soft quilt book for my grandbaby; little froggy quilt (from a kit) for a future (hopefully) grandbaby; quilt for my son's wedding shower.  Guess I  better get busy (or busier)!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:44 PM | Locked

Am home, my scope went well, he said see you next year so that is a good sign.  Here are some of the blocks we did in the class on saturday, the one on the left we masked off the straight lines with tape first then marked one inch from the edge on the vertical and horizontal and 3 inches from the center on the diagonal and eyeballed the gentle curve to make the flower, the one on the right we only masked the center crosshatch  then used the edge of the walking foot to make the distances equalthe next one is done with the walking foot and masking tape to make the first lines on the right but I did not add the decorative stitches between the lines and the one on the left is done by using tracing paper and following the lines free motion.  I am not very good at free motion so my following of the lines was a bit off.  I am not showing you my free motion doodling as it was just plain bad.  I was a llittle disappointed in that for the free motion she just said "ok have at it" no real instruction just a couple of hours of practicing on your own.  Ah well it is hours I would not have done at home so guess it was worth it.

Paris, Ontario

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 3:18 PM | Locked

Marilyn great work...FMQ is just doodling and you just have fun and some people can doodle great pictures and others (like me) it looks like a kindergarten child was playing...lol..oh well I enjoy it and that is the mean part of quilting...glad that your scope went well too

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 3:43 PM | Locked

Marilyn,

glad the scope went well.

I like your blocks. The free motion is fine. I'm sure the doodling isn't as bad as you say. You'll get better with more practice.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 3:47 PM | Locked

Jeanine,

I like your quilts a lot. Nice work.

I'm getting better with the scrap management too. I need a few more containers for the different sizes. Now I have to actually start using them. Yikes.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 3:49 PM | Locked

I'm working on my DJ blocks as I wait for patients. Earlier today I cut the sunflower blocks for Valerie's quilt. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429
Diane Morgan replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 3:53 PM | Locked

Marilyn~

Good to hear that all went well at the doc. Next year is always a good sign.

I never thought of doing quilting with the walking dog like these. I like them. Was the book that I think it was Marge talking about  also have walking dog designs and ideas? Oh, Marge!!!!!!!   Tell us more about this book.

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429
Diane Morgan replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 4:04 PM | Locked

Hi Mary~

And welcome! Sounds like you have a lot of projects lined up. You'll fit in just fine with all the quiltaholics.

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429
Diane Morgan replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 4:09 PM | Locked

Kris:

I'm working on my DJ blocks as I wait for patients. Earlier today I cut the sunflower blocks for Valerie's quilt. 

What can you do at work? Are you actually sewing? Are you hiding in a little utility closet in the dark?

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Tue, Jun 29 2010 4:20 PM | Locked

Started on "Voices of the Past" quilt yesterday.  So far I have completed Christa McCollough and Besty Ross squares.  I decided to go ahead and get started, I'll figure out how to put it all together at some point.  Got in touch with Kaye England to see if she had the completion instructions.  Would you believe she only has a picture of the quilt, but promised to help me out when she gets back from her trip if I haven't figured things out by then.  Also contacted the shop I purchased the blocks from...they are trying to find the information also....We'll see, it will get put together somehow.  I'm making this quilt for a friend who is down in the dumps...her husband had cancer.  She needs a pick me, so I need to get this thing completed and in the mail.  Sounds like rumbling outside...hope that means rain is on the way...have a great evening.

Cindy

Page 432 of 764 (11453 items) « First ... < Previous 430 431 432 433 434 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use