Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today?

Page 628 of 764 (11453 items) « First ... < Previous 626 627 628 629 630 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11,452 Replies | 87 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,813
Points 248,424
Barbara replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 11:46 AM | Locked

Thea again thanks .I know what I'm going to be doing alot of this weekend  ..watching videos, but thats okay ,those you can squeeze in between laundry and cleaning and quilting  lol....Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429
Diane Morgan replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 12:10 PM | Locked

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. I just learned something new. I was watching the EB video .....love the way she throws the fabric pieces over her shoulders. When I sew blocks or rows together I always sewed them horizontally across. She does them vertically. Do you ladies sew them horizontally or vertically?

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,882
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 12:34 PM | Locked

Barbara:
this is the second block of my Kansas Troubles Quilt, this one is Star and Pinwheel,

Barbara,

beautiful block. You're doing so well. Thea's a great help isn't she. EB is awesome. I hope I get to meet her some day.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,882
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 12:37 PM | Locked

Diane Morgan:
When I sew blocks or rows together I always sewed them horizontally across. She does them vertically. Do you ladies sew them horizontally or vertically?

Diane,

I sew them vertically since I learned that way but I don't think it matters.

I love EB and the way she throws her fabric scraps too. In her barn block of the month videos (on the QIAD site) she said she can do that since she doesn't have to clean them up afterwards. LOL. Those videos are a lot of fun as they were filmed live in a class.

I love the way she honks when making flying geese blocks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 12:41 PM | Locked

Diane

I sew most of my rows horizontally.  I really don't think it matters which way you do it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429
Diane Morgan replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 2:52 PM | Locked

I'm going to try watching an EB video a day. How do I keep cramming in more things when I don't have enough time to do anything now? I've never seen her show on tv so they'll be all new. She's a hot ticket. I think I'll try that over the shoulder bit and see if it works for me!

I think I will stay with horizontal rows and that way I know to press one direction on one row and then the other way....it doesn't take much to get this blonde confused.

North of Boston MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 123
Points 2,500
Applekrisp replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 8:40 PM | Locked

Gini, Are you using Microsoft Photo Editor or a similar program?  If so, go to the top menu, under File, select print, when your print window opens up, select the button called properties which is next to the name of the printer at the top of that window.  From the window that opens, you should be able to select an option to print in black and white.  

Make sure you are printing on plain paper and 8.5 x 11 letter size, enlarge to fit.

Other options:   Take your color photo to a copy shop and copy it on a copy machine in black and white and enlarge it to the size you want.

Karen aka Applekrisp

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 9:28 PM | Locked

Nana:
My sewing machine has a separate bobbin winder motor.  This way I can wind bobbins at the same time I am sewing.  Don't really need a separate bobbin winder.

But Nana, I have nearly the same machine as you, and I still pull the thread out of the guides to loop it around that top bobbin winder post.  So again, it's a matter of having to re-thread the machine when I'm done.  Do you have another way of doing that?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 9:34 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

Nana:
My sewing machine has a separate bobbin winder motor.  This way I can wind bobbins at the same time I am sewing.  Don't really need a separate bobbin winder.

But Nana, I have nearly the same machine as you, and I still pull the thread out of the guides to loop it around that top bobbin winder post.  So again, it's a matter of having to re-thread the machine when I'm done.  Do you have another way of doing that?

Nancy

If I am rewinding bobbins for special stuff I will use a second spool of thread to just rewind the bobbins.  My main thread is a cone on the big table style holder and then I put the bobbin spool on the vertical spindle.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:44 PM | Locked

karen, there is no button that says properties.   right now my computer is at the drs.   i am on sam's work computer.  i'll try again when i get my computer back        gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,813
Points 248,424
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 8 2010 7:31 AM | Locked

Thea ,here is the 3rd block of my Kansas Troubles quilt. This one is called Star Trick, I'm not real happy with the color choice this shop made on this block, to much green together,but that's how it was set up .this one was alot easier to make.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,813
Points 248,424
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 8 2010 7:36 AM | Locked

Kris ,thank you I'm trying really hard to get this right ,with Thea's help it has been alot easier,.Alot of these stars in this quilt I've never tried to make ,its very challenging ,the ones I have left are even more difficult. But I'm determined to get them done ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,679
Points 248,642
Thea replied on Fri, Oct 8 2010 9:18 AM | Locked

Barbara - that block looks excellent - and they may have chosen those colors for when all the blocks are put together... if I was making just a quilt from that block - I probably would have chosen something different too - you did an outstanding job - points are fantastic and you have 1/4" all the way around for your next seam... good job!

Diane... after learning EB's method - that is the way i sew my blocks when I am doing them... I love that I don't have to pin with this method because that little piece of thread acts as the pin - as long as you sew one piece right after another and don't have 1/2" inbetween pieces... you have to be careful there... but yes - this is the way I do mine!

This was one of the reasons I was able to get my mystery quilt done so quickly in chicago - I did the 1st 2 rows of all my blocks and then added on the next row... I just had to keep them all in order...teehee...groups of 3's... it was a production line...teehee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,813
Points 248,424
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 8 2010 9:41 AM | Locked

Thea ,I noticed in one of EB viedos that she was quilting just 2 pieces of her quilt together.I think it was in the 2600 or 2500 group. I have never seen this done before without the backing placed on. Do you know the reason for this? 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,813
Points 248,424
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 8 2010 9:43 AM | Locked

Thea I forgot to thank you ,this block was not to hard to do , I have the really difficut ones comeing up.  .so taking my time and watching EB first to get all the help I can  lol   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 628 of 764 (11453 items) « First ... < Previous 626 627 628 629 630 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use