great grandma's quilt tops

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 960
Teresa J Boyles posted on Mon, Aug 29 2011 6:58 PM

My mother-in law has given me some quilt tops made by her mother. They have not been quilted. They were made some time ago, hand stitched using what looks like #10 embroidery thread. The fabric came from sacks chicken feed came in and pieces of old shirts and skirts. She would have made them in the 1940s. Mom tells me she used to go to the feed store and buy enough of the same patterned sacks to make a dress for herself or one of her girls. the quilts were made of the scraps left over or from the unworn sections of old dresses.  I have some of the feed sacks as well. Some blocks are sewn down to what may have been flour sacks

Any way, the question is what would you do to protect these pieces of our family history? What do I need to do to optimize their value. I have enough feed sacks to make a backing for one of them, mom says grandma would have used the same thread to tack the backing to the top.  

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 150 Contributor
Female
648 Posts
Points 10,145
Verified by Teresa J Boyles

I was given a quilt top that my great grandmother made, who passed away at age 24, and it was the sole possession my grandmother and great aunt had of their mother.  We all felt it should be hand quilted but I don't have the hand quilting skills to do the quilt justice. A quilt friend put me in contact with an amish woman who would do the quilting for us. It took six months to finish, and we divided the cost between us, but it is an incredible quilt and a precious piece of family history for us. My great aunt has it now and she said it appraised for $6000.

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,771 Posts
Points 65,968

I know plenty of you probably won't agree with me but I would finish the quilt and use it or at least display it.  Sewing the feedsacks together for the backing would be neat.  Then I would machine quilt it and bind it.  The quilt will have a lot of history and will acquire even more history as it gets to be used. 

These are two quilts...one from each of my grandmothers...that my sister inherited.  They were just tops and the flower garden is from the 40's.  The other one is old but who knows.  I quilted them for my sister for her to use.  They turned out great and will be fun and meaningful to have around.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
648 Posts
Points 10,145
Verified by Teresa J Boyles

I was given a quilt top that my great grandmother made, who passed away at age 24, and it was the sole possession my grandmother and great aunt had of their mother.  We all felt it should be hand quilted but I don't have the hand quilting skills to do the quilt justice. A quilt friend put me in contact with an amish woman who would do the quilting for us. It took six months to finish, and we divided the cost between us, but it is an incredible quilt and a precious piece of family history for us. My great aunt has it now and she said it appraised for $6000.

• | Post Points: 25
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 7:22 PM

Teresa

I agree with Jeanine that the quilts should be finished and used.  The memories will make them priceless for you family.  If there is a top that you find to be really special it might be nice to find someone to hand quilt that one. 

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

OMG! I love the Grandmother's Garden quilt.  I am working on one now by hand.  The turqoise really sets of the flowers!

Judylee

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,069 Posts
Points 13,810
Carey replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 2:26 PM

They are absolutely gorgeous all three of them. You should definitely have it finished one way or another.  Leave it in family they will protect and honor it more than a stranger.  It should be used like they say because your grandma made it with love for her family. You could have it appraised once it is done being quilted and sandwiched etc.

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 960

I do think I will quilt them, my daughters both want one. we all remember going to her house in later years and she would have us thread about a hundred needles for her so she could quilt. She would tease about if her eyes could see the needle her hands couldn't hold it still enough. She was in her 99th year when she passed.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 11:07 AM

What exactly does "suggest as answer" mean?

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 11:42 AM

Sukochi

If the person asking the question likes your answer and thinks it may be the resolution to their problem they can click on "suggest as answer" and it takes that post to the top and highlights it so that it is easier to find.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 11:48 AM

Thanks, NaNa. Very clever.

Have a great day!

Sukochi

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 11:58 AM

Sukochi

You are welcome.  How do you like that huge runon sentence....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,349 Posts
Points 27,445

My great Aunt left a crazy quilt and pillow shams  made of silk ties.  sad to say they were not stored properly.  Mom took the whole lot to a fabric consertiver.  The top fell apart when it was taken out of the box but the shams were stored inside the top.= and were ok.  The conservitor stablized them and framed them to perserve the fabric.  Mom has five daughters and we fought over who would get them.  I got one!!!  Mom also had labels made and pasted to the back of the frame so that the history would not get lost

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.