Cutting Mats

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
judy87807 Posted: Mon, Aug 29 2011 5:45 PM

Cutting mats warp easily in heat.   This happened to me when driving to a class on a hot day and with the AC going in the car!!  So, I bought a set of puzzle mats.  The 12 inch blocks lock together seamlessly to form a great cutting surface.  And the 12 inch package travels much easier to class than a regular cutting mat.  However, I discovered that the mats are slick on the back and were prone to slide when in use.  So, I took some strips of Omni Invisi Grip and glued them to the back of the blocks.  It solved the problem and after using them for over a year, I am immensely satisfied.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 6:03 PM

Judy, Aren't those puzzle mats made out of foam?  Doesn't your rotary cutter  just cut lines all in them?

Sukochi

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 9:35 AM

I have found that the green cutting mats warp, but the white one do not.  At least that has been my experience. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,787
Points 12,950
I had my large mats warp from rolling and could never get them flat again until my husband suggested that I lay them on the concrete in the hot sun and see what happens!! Well, it worked wonders; the mats flattened out and I was so happy to not have to purchase new ones!

Oregon

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 12:27 PM

I have put my green cutting mat in the trunk of the car going to classes. have never had one warp. However, even though I hang my rulers. Have had one of them bend.

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 115

Hello,  that is a good ideal with the vinegar thank you.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 5:39 PM

Thanks for the cleaning tip, Quiltdaddy!  Mine has some lint build up and I was wondering what I should use to clean it.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 54
Points 750
Wendy replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 7:40 PM

Great tips QD, thank you!  Had no idea about the vinegar, and would think it would distort the mat over time due to the acid. I assume white vinegar is best?  :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,387
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 11:40 PM

The Quilt Daddy:
Remember if you take care fo your mat it will take care of you. I have been using the same mat in my home for over 10 years and the one I take to class usually last about 4 years from being toted constantly to and from class. Also remember that a scrap piece of fleece with a little vinegar is a great tool to use to keep your mats clean.

So very true Richard. My cutting mat is over six years old and it's doing fine. Didn't know about vinegar for cleaning so thanks for the tip.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Richard - thanks for "Cutting mats 101".  Very helpful information. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use