Top 10 Posters

Another question about basting spray

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465
safrmaz posted on Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:55 AM

Do you have problems with your sewing machine needles getting gummed up from the basting spray?  If so, what do you do to remedy the situation?  The salesperson at my sewing machine dealer told me about a spray to apply to the needle before sewing but they were out of it.  I don't remember the name of it but if anyone uses it, does it work well?  

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 3:42 PM

I wonder if wiping your needle with  a little bit of  Goo Gone  would help. I don't know if it would stain. I might try this the next time I do embroidery and use the temp spray adhesive. I may  have a bottle of the Sewer's Aid  and will try that as well. Thanks Eileen for the Sewer's Aid reminder. If things don't work, sounds like someone needs to do some inventing. :-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 3:48 PM

I wonder if a bit of Goo Gone on the needle would work. I'd test first to be sure it won't stain. I think I'm going to try this the next time I do machine embroidery with the spray adhesive. Also, Eileen, thanks for the reminder about Sewer's Aid. I do believe I have some around here and will try that the next time as well. If we can't find a good product, sounds like someone needs to do some inventing.:-)

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

Thanks, Eileen!  That may be the product the dealer told me about.  I'm hesitant to use Goo Gone (I can't stand the smell of it) or any other type of oil.  Continually having to wipe alcohol on the needle while working would be a nuisance.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,819 Posts
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 7:02 PM

Thanks - I'm glad to help! I'm not the most experienced quilter but I love the challenge of a search - guess that's one reason I'm a librarian! LOL I get to learn something new almost every day at work - and on here :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,139
gini replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 8:35 PM

sheri,   i don't spray a lot on the quilt, just barely enough to hold. and i don't cover the entire surface

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,475 Posts
Points 48,075
Angele replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 9:57 PM

I use the 505 one.  The June Taylor is too smelly for me.  When the needles get somewhat gummy, I clean them with either alcohol oar just rubbing some fabric on it.  Iron on batting works mostly for purses, or table runners or small wall hanging.  Hope this helps.

Angele

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

Gini, that may have been part of my problem.  I may have used more spray than I needed.

Angele, I will probably give the 505 a try.  You're right, it does have a strong smell.  I definitely need to have good ventilation when I use it.  I don't want to give up on spray basting because it is SO much better than basting by hand!

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 90

Sheri,

May i suggest trying the Sulky KKK 2000 temporary spray?  It is heavier than air, so it drifts downward onto the surface where you want it.  It doesn't take much to tack down what you want to hold until you can stitch in place.  This spray dissipates by itself over about a week or more quickly with washing as it is water-soluble.  For quilts, spray the fabric, not the batting, as batting tends to "soak" it up more.  I have tried most brands out there in my 11 years as a professional longarm quilter and this is my first choice if I need temporary basting spray.  The container is small-but a little goes a long way.  As with any spray, use in a well-ventilated area.

Just so you know, I am a Sulky Certified Instructor, too.  I loved the product before that's why I went to training!

Hope this helps you.  

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,139
gini replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 11:24 AM

hi angus welcome to the group and thanks for the info. 

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

Angus, thank you for the suggestion and endorsement.  I will look for the product and give it a try.  I have a few I'm interested in trying.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

All you really need for any of the adhesives is a little.  Most of us spray way to much. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,475 Posts
Points 48,075
Angele replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 11:39 AM

If it dissipates in about a week, I think I might be in trouble because sometimes I will spray a quilt and let it be until the next week or weekend when I have time to quilt it.  Spraying it again is fine for a small project, but I don't think I would like to redo a double or queen size quilt.  Also because I quilt with my domestic machine or I hand quilt my quilts, I think it would take me more than 1 week to 10 days to complete the project.  Does Sulky have one that last longer?  How is the smell of this spray?  I have a tendency to get headaches when the smell is strong.  Thanks for the info, I think I would like to try it but I have not seen it in any quilt shops I have been in lately.

Angele

Angèle  from NWO

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use