Top 10 Posters

Another question about basting spray

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465
safrmaz posted on Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:55 AM

Do you have problems with your sewing machine needles getting gummed up from the basting spray?  If so, what do you do to remedy the situation?  The salesperson at my sewing machine dealer told me about a spray to apply to the needle before sewing but they were out of it.  I don't remember the name of it but if anyone uses it, does it work well?  

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,425 Posts
Points 72,070
Karla replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:13 AM

I've only had trouble with one brand gumming up my needle, but I can't remember what brand it was.  I've been using Dritz brand lately and haven't experienced any problems.  I let it thoroughly dry before sewing, seems to only take a minute or two.  It's mostly odorless so DH (who is asthmatic) doesn't seem to be effected by it.  But I only use the basting spray on small projects, since the large ones get loaded on the midarm frame.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:16 AM

Sheri

I have used basting spray on lots of my quilts and never had a problem with the needle gumming up.  I usually use the June Taylor brand from JoAnn's.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,923 Posts
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:30 AM

If this is a small project quilt you're talking about using the spray on, have you considered using the fusible batting instead of basting spray? I use a basting spray when doing embroidery and it can gum up the needle. Anxious to see what others are using.  Hugs, Ramona

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 12:42 PM

The brand I used is June Tailor from JoAnn's.  Also, it was dry by the time I started quilting -- I basted a few days before I got around to quilting.  Also, the project is a table runner, so it is small.  I will try to find out the name of the spray the salesperson said she uses on the needle.  Maybe that will help.  I'd like to use up the remaining basting spray in the can before I decide if I want to continue with sprays and try a different brand.

Ramona....  good suggestion.  I never thought of trying the fusible batting.

Not Ranked
21 Posts
Points 615

I have always used the 505 brand and have had lots of success with it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
365 Posts
Points 6,820

I don't use basting spray in general, because I don't have a good place to spray it without worrying about overspray.  For small projects like tablerunners, etc., I like to use fusible batting.  It makes small projects just that much quicker to complete!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 2:59 PM

I have tried the fusible batting and don't like it at all.  I found it to be very thin and stiff.  It would work ok for table runners I guess but I sure wouldn't want it in my quilt.   I have used the basting spray on king size quilts without a problem.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,923 Posts
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 3:11 PM

Nana, I did use the fusible for a wall hanging and it worked at well for that and I feel it would work great for a table runner or small projects. As for putting it in a quilt for my bed, you're right,  I wouldn't use it for that either. Hugs,

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 2:03 PM

I was using the joann quilters spray but it is now further to drive there. SO I went to ACMoore and there is also fine. No gumming up as long as you let it dry a bit before you quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,106 Posts
Points 410,869
gini replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 10:00 PM

sheri, you don't have to coat the entire surface,  i just do a light spray over the top and not all areas are covered completely.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
648 Posts
Points 10,145

I've had problems with the basting spray doing this too. I keep a small spritzer bottle of alcohol near my machine and when I feel the needle "tugging" I pull the needle out, spritz it and wipe the needle on a scrap. It also keeps the lint in the bobbin area from picking up the basting spray stickiness and gumming that up too.

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

Jennsquilts, I have used the alcohol to clean off the needle, too.  My sewing machine dealer mentioned there is a spray to coat the needle before sewing through the basting spray.  They were out of it but I am planning to try it out when they get some in.  I will post the info when I find out more.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,807 Posts
Points 43,614
Eileen replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 2:44 PM

I just did a quick search on Google (basting spray gums needle) and of course all the spray manufacturers say their product doesn't gum up the needle. I think I had some problems the one time I used it but I don't remember it being too bad.

There are many other people discussing this same topic online and some mentioned cleaning their needles periodically with alcohol when quilting a quilt that was basted with a spray.  One Bernina owner mentioned putting just a drop of machine oil on a paper towel or cloth & rubbing that on the needle before starting.  I can't find a product to put on the needle, though - will have to try playing around with search terms.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,807 Posts
Points 43,614
Eileen replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 3:06 PM

Ok, so after playing with my search terms, I found more people recommending rubbing alcohol (wipes or a bit on a cloth/paper towel) as well as silicone spray rubbed on with a cotton swab.  Then, I found references to a specific silicone product called Sewer's Aid - here is a link to one site which sells it:

http://sewingsupplywarehouse.com/sewersaid.html

I hope this helps!

• | Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use