Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,090
Joy Posted: Thu, Aug 25 2011 12:23 PM

I am seriously thinking of selling my Pfaff hobby grandquilter and everything in my studio, including fabric, books tools cutting table, but I don't know how to go about it. Any ideas???

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

Joy, I just picked up many yards of fabric from a gal that was selling her stash on Craigslist.  She's going to college to be a nurse, and with 3 little ones under 5, she knew she wouldn't have time to sew a stich.  Craigslist might be an option.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 205
Jacquie replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 12:30 PM

the very best way is to rent a large building, say the VFW or an empty store in the mall, and then advertise a Quilter's sale! Be sure to post it on ebay classifieds and craigslist under events and under yard sales.

you do not want to go via groups like this, or the yahoo groups because you would be at for about 10 hours a day for a3 months...just getting things measured, photographed, written up, etc. Then comes the headache of listing it all..sitting the computer for hours every day to arrange the sales, and the worst of all...shipping it...

best to do a local sale....

good luck to you! It won't be easy any way you go!

just remember anything over $600 you have to report as income!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,424
Points 72,050
Karla replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 12:30 PM

I don't know why anyone would want to sell all of their quilting stuff, but you can try "Quilter's Marketplace" here on QCA.  That's where people post stuff they want to buy, sell, or trade.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 12:55 PM

You could ask your local quilting guild and groups as well if they are interested in buying some stuff from you.  I believe it is anything over 500 not 600 that you have to report as income. So if you want to make enough money your best bet is probably to keep your machine and sell the fabric etc.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,247
Points 134,648
Stephanie replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 12:57 PM

Joy,

You could also try Ebay. What I would do is list your machine and attachments as one package and set a reserve of what you'd like to get for it, so you don't get stuck with selling it for an ureasonably low bid. I haven't done well with books on there, so you might try listing them through Amazon, or Barnes and Noble websites. I would also group fabric in bundles, maybe by collection or color. Tools I'd do the same way, as a group. Who wants to pay an additional $6.95 shipping for a rotary cutter.I'd advertise the cutting table locally, for pick up.   

Sorry to hear you are getting out of quilting. I hope everything works out for you.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,090
Joy replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 1:17 PM

It's breaking my heart to have to do this. Thank you all for all the wonderful information.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 434
Points 6,955
Mz M replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 1:42 PM

Joy:

It's breaking my heart to have to do this. Thank you all for all the wonderful information.

Joy after reading your bio it saddens me to see you are giving up a part of your life that has brought you so much peace and comfort after losing you mom. I want you to know if there is anything I can do for you let me know. You can friend me.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 786
Points 20,015
Carol replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:06 AM

Joy:

I am seriously thinking of selling my Pfaff hobby grandquilter and everything in my studio, including fabric, books tools cutting table, but I don't know how to go about it. Any ideas???

So sorry to hear this~~are you sure about this decision?  They tell us not to make any really big changes after a loss like this.  What do you think your Mother would want you to do?  I find quilting and all "stuff" related to it to be such a comfort, I can't imagine being without it!  I do wish you well, whatever you decide to do - you are the only one who knows what's best, after all!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,090
Joy replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 7:41 AM

Thank you all for your answers and support...I AM NOT SELLING MY QUILTING STUFF!!!! WOHOO!  I thought I didn't have a choice...I have no insurance and some very serious health issues came up. My mom would not have wanted me to sell. It is my only therapy. And I truly love quilting. I did a lot of praying and walla! I found a way to tackle my heath issues and not sell everything!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 37
Points 1,290
Jodi replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 8:09 AM

That is great Joy!

You have had an enormous amount of trails in the past several years and to take way a wonderful and peaceful hobby would make it more difficult.  Thank God there was another door that opened so you didn't have to give up something that is uplifting in your life!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 8:12 AM

Joy

I am so relieved to hear this.  I just knew that this would break your heart.  Praise the Lord that you found a different way out of this problem.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 8:21 AM

Joy  That is wonderful news , I just lost my husband this Feb and quilting and this site have been my therapy , I would have been in serious trouble with out them.. Take care and will say a thank you to the big guy upstairs...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 25
Holly replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 8:51 AM

Joy, I am brand new and your post is the first I read and immediately thought oh no she needs to close the door and think this through for a couple of days and Bam! you have changed your mind.  I am so proud of you for not reacting and stepping back and thinking of your what quilting means to your peace of mind and soul.  Joy should be more than a name, it should be what you feel when you quilt also.

Holly

North Carolina

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 9:00 AM

I am so glad you have changed your mind Joy.  Quilting is therapy for so many people in QCA.  While I don't suffer some of the health issues (yet) that some do, I need it for my emotional well being.  If I am not creating something, I get seriously depressed.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use