Page 4 of 6 (79 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 78 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Tue, Aug 23 2011 1:24 PM

I do buy online for most of my fabric purchases.  I even buy it by the 15 yd bolts from Textile Collections in CA. as that is a great way to get backings at a reasonable cost.  I use Fabric.com alot as shipping is free with a $35 order.  I don't need fabric but I have one son who sends me a GC online to Fabric.com for Mother's Day, birthday and sometimes for Christmas.  What is there about that to not like?  It makes it easy for him and I certainly don't turn down the offer to buy fabric.

Connecting Threads is also a great place to shop.  Course I just bought some thread on linethrough CT and must have been asleep as I ended up with 11 spools of hyacinth Essentials thread.  The order comes from WA but has to be returned to OHIO.  Oh well, it has been returned and I will try and be awake when I order the next time.:-)

MargeP

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,506
Points 48,350
Angele replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 9:04 PM

I have used CT threads for a while and really loved them.  I have bought some fabrics from them and had good luck with it.  I do buy online but still prefer to touch and feel the fabric.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010

I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality and prices of Connecting Threads fabric.  I mostly like batiks but now they have a line of those as well.

Need some advice.  Just tried my first pantograph today and had real problems with the fabric bunching towards the sides.  I tried spray basting the sides and running a wavy stitch line but I'm frustrated.....and unsewing.  Really tough working from the back and concentrating on the pattern and not seeing what's going on on the front.  Any advice from the group would be appreciated!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 5:08 PM

Just curious as to why you are quilting from the back? Is it the type of fabric? I know people who do this but I, myself, have not.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010

I thought that's how you had to do the pantograph.  Do you do it some other way?  Would much rather work from the front if that's possible!  Let me know!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 905
Kate replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 6:10 PM

I do my pantographs from the back and have had no problems. Is the top laying smooth on the batting? Are you starting and stopping off the quilt too? I do and that helps to keep the tope smooth.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 6:17 PM

I do all my quilts from the front. I have heard of doing flannel quilts from the back but  I have never done that. I have done many with no problems. Maybe I'm just lucky. Was the quilt top square and laid flat? If I find a quilt is not going to lay flat, that it has fullness in different areas,  I do not do a pantograph. I do free motion. For me, that's the only way I can put hands on the quilt and work in the fullness and keep the quilt as square as I can. There's no way you could do that from the back of the quilt that I know of. Maybe you could try a pantograph from the front sometime and see how you like it. I'm sure others will have suggestions for you as well. Let me know what works for you. Hugs

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010

Yes to all of the above.  It seems that it's the starting and wandering back and forth off the edge that's causing the issues.  I wonder if maybe I need to raise my hopping foot just a bit?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010

Up to this point I've been doing everything free style from the front  with no issues but there are so many beautiful pantographs that I wanted to try to master that as well.   I had some issues with my machine last week and in making some adjustments my husband accidentally adjusted the hopping foot.  I thought it was ok but I'm thinking maybe I need to raise it a bit more as that's what's getting caught on the edge of the top.  Thanks for the advice though!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 6:32 PM

Well, that sounds like an easy enough fix. Hope  that's all that's giving you an issue. You could try it from the top and see how you like it. I like it as you can see what the top is doing and watch your edges. I sew down the sides of my quilt top and try to stay within that 1/8 of an inch. In doing pantographs I still get a little fold over but at least it's in the binding area.  I see Kate likes to do hers from the back as well. Just never done it myself. I'd like to see how it's done sometime.  Would like to see a picture of the finished quilt. Hugs

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 6:44 PM

What kind of machine are you working on, Charlotte?  I mostly do pantos and I have to do them from the back but I know some machines are set up to do that from the front (short arms mostly I think.)  I always pin or baste the sides and put the clamps on to keep everything level and stabalized.  It is a skill to learn how to keep an eye on what's going on in the front while you are at the back but just keep trying.  It gets easier.  Don't be afraid to stop, check out what's going on, and then start again.  Practice, practice, practice.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 7:18 PM

Guess I piped in on this subject a bit early. You guys ready for a laugh? Charlotte, I was thinking you were quilting from the back of your quilt not the back of your machine. Boy, do I feel stupid!! Still new at this, I'm sick and it's been a long day. Gotta get the terms down quick. I have a Gammill Optimum Plus and yes, I do my pantographs from the back of my machine and yes, smaller machines do them from the front. Hang in there with me I'll try and do better. Hugs

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010

I have an APQS Millenium which I just got in July.  You are right on the practice, practice, practice comment.  Fortunately I have a stash of old uncompleted quilt tops that won't break my heart if I use them to practice on.  I was so excited when I got the tension set well quickly and the first pass went really well and then had so many problems on the 2nd row.  I'll be unsewing tomorrow!!  We live and learn.   I just keep trying to remember how intimidated I was when I got my Bernina and try to be patient as I learn all the ins and outs of this new toy! Thanks for the support!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 7:24 PM

That's how I started with cheaters and unfinished quilt tops. I don't get to use my machine much as we live in Fla and KY and my machine, Martha Mae,  lives in KY. Even though I've had my machine a couple of years I'm still very new. I'd certainly like to get in more practice.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010

Too funny Ramona - was sure I was just stupid and missing something big!!  Thanks for the clarification :)    Feel better soon.  We are just recovering form the shock of the earthquake and now waiting anxiously for Hurricane Irene to visit.  Life is exciting in Delaware these days!

Page 4 of 6 (79 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use