Page 3 of 6 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 78 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,114
Points 410,999
gini replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 3:57 PM

hi helen, i have more fabric than i can use in two lifetimes.  where in america is your daughter graduating?

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 4:04 PM

Helen

I have enough stash for you and me both...LOL>  I am constantly adding more.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 414
Points 9,060
Pamela replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 5:23 PM

Lots of different responses, so this is just my opinion.

I have found that just because a quilt shop sells name brand fabric doesn't mean that it's worth the price. I do buy at JoAnn's, but I also like the different varieties available at quilt shops. You just have to check the fabric over good. Thread count, griege goods (mills run lower quality fabrics first to be sure that the printing is correct; then put on the higher quality fabric to run the final product; the lower quality first printing is sold at a lower cost), all impact the quality of the fabric. Hopefully, your quilt shop owners know this ro they may be buying cheaper quality fabric to sell because they think they're getting a good deal. I've seen the exact same fabric in a quilt shop that was sold at JoAnn's for less, but the quality wasn't the saem. I do the hand test, as well. Watch out for highly starched fabrics that fall apart when the starch is washed out. This is another good reason for pre-washing fabrics. The pre-wash can actually tell you a lot about the quality of the fabric - if it is lower quality it may be warped, the print runs askew, the starch washes out & the fabric is very thin, etc.

As for yardage, I used to buy 1/2 yard amount as a standard. Now, it depends on how much I like the fabric. I tend to do a lot of scrap quilts, so I don't mind the smaller pieces - more variety. However, if I find something I really like, I may buy 3-5 yards. And, if the price is right, I may get more to have for a backing. Your budget and your type of quilting will probably dictate how much you buy.

Keepsake Quilting has a catalog with nice fabrics at reasonable prices, just like Connecting Threads. I haven't purchased any myself, but have heard good things about them. Although I prefer to feel the fabric before I buy it, I have purchased online and like being able to shop at my convenience without having to go anywhere.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 434
Points 6,955
Mz M replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 5:44 PM

Nana:

Helen

I heard that only a month after I purchased the machine the man also passed away.

That machine was meant to be yours. Its very sad but seems all too true that when a spouse, if they have been together for a very long time, passes  the surviving spouse seems to follow within the next 12 months.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 675
Helen replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 6:48 PM

Wow so you have a lot of fabric then :)

My daughter is graduation from University of Tulsa with a Bachelor of Science in Energy Management. Next big task is getting a job which is quite difficult to do in America when you are a New Zealander. There are not many oil and gas jobs here in NZ.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 9:13 PM

Pamela, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and advice on selecting quality fabrics.  It was very helpful!

Helen, I'm off to find some previous discussions and pictures of stash for you to share with your husband...

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 9:22 PM

Okay, Helen, here is a great discussion about stash.  I'm linking you to page 2 because another Helen shared some pictures that will blow you away. 

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/t/16107.aspx?PageIndex=2

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,271
Patti replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 10:50 PM

Ah yes.  Helen's stash, something we can all aspire to, quantity and organization.  Specially organization.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,114
Points 410,999
gini replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 11:20 PM

thanks pamela for the info.  

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 675
Helen replied on Sun, Aug 21 2011 1:00 AM

Gini

Just looked at that thread you linked me to - my what a fabulouse stash and sewing room.

I will show it my husband and say "this is the ultimate goal in life" and see what he says.

Helen M

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 675
Helen replied on Sun, Aug 21 2011 1:06 AM

Sorry I got confused - thaks Nancy :)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 21 2011 1:11 PM

Helen, here is another stash we all envy.  It's just organized differently.  (Sorry, Gini, these photos always make me giggle....)

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/blogs/ginihowardyahoocom/archive/2011/01/03/studio.aspx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,114
Points 410,999
gini replied on Sun, Aug 21 2011 1:16 PM

it is a lot neater right now,  i had a clean up a while back.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,296
Points 45,850
Angele replied on Tue, Aug 23 2011 9:19 AM

Wow!  I now feel like the poor cousin with my stash.  I hadn't seen those pictures before, but I guess this is truly what I can aspire to get.  My stash consists of a closet full, and a few small plastic bin where I have stuff for specific quilts with pattern.  I could actually go and shop in Helen's stash.  I would find stuff to complete some quilts for sure... Love the setting so bright and airy.

Angele

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 23 2011 9:24 AM

Angele

Compared to Helen none of us have a stash....ROFLOL.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 3 of 6 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use