Page 2 of 6 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 78 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,372
Points 48,740
Ginny replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:33 PM

Well Nana, I used to buy 1/2 and 1 yard pieces of fabric, but Ialways run out of something I need more of, or didn't have enough at all to use in the quilt I wanted to make, so I am up to buying at least 2 yard pieces now  Haven't advanced to 3 yard pieces yet.  Probably just a matter of time.....       Ginny 

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,112
Points 410,989
gini replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:33 PM

Nana:
Although our JoAnn's has started carrying quilting line fabrics by the same designers and manufacturers as the quilt shop.

the fabric starts out as greige goods.  no dyes.  the same manufacture will buy several grades of greige goods and put the same pattern on it.  i have seen many stores buy the inferior quality fabric, but charge the higher prices.   the last time i was in our joann's, they didn't have the higher quality fabric.  i think it is time to check it out again.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 460
Kim replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:39 PM

I buy 3 yards too.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:40 PM

I buy from Joann's, fabric.com, and quilt stores. Depends on my mood and what they allcarry and what I'm looking for at the moment. I notice my quilt store doesn't carry some lines so for that I go to fabric.com and basic colors are either bought at the local quilt store or joann sometimes from fabric depends.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 460
Kim replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:41 PM

I buy 3 yards too>

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 3:24 PM

Nancy

I don't know if the actual thread count is on the label or not.   I just feel the piece for  a good hand, check the cut edge for fraying,  and hold the piece up to the light.  If the thread count is low it has the appearance of cheesecloth when held up to the light.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,112
Points 410,989
gini replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 7:15 PM

Nana:
I just feel the piece for  a good hand, check the cut edge for fraying,  and hold the piece up to the light.

this is how i do it too

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 9:30 PM

Thanks Nana and Gini.  I don't know why I never thought to hold it to the light.  Have you come across name brand fabrics at the LQS that fray a lot?  I remember Jerry (of the fancy door art quilt fame) saying that he thought fabric quality was going downhill at the same time the price was going up.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,112
Points 410,989
gini replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 9:48 PM

i bet the places he's buying from is getting the cheaper material

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,296
Points 45,850
Angele replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 9:52 PM

I try to buy most of my fabric at the local quilt shops.  Unfortunately they don't always have what I have in mind.  So I go on shopping trip with friends of DH or I go online.  My goal this year is to use much of what I have in my stash to make quilts.  I don't know if I will be successful in bringing my stash down but I think the 2-3 yard rule is a good one.  I hope to find some fabric to make new baby quilts and this time I will buy more of what I like.

Angele

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 370
Chrystal replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 10:06 PM

I had that "resolution" a couple of years ago - only problem is, I ended up buying more fabric that year than I ever had in the past.  So, now no more resolutions!!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 10:25 PM

Nancy

I have found some fabrics at the quilt shop that weren't of the best quality.  Mostly those are still at the shop...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 675
Helen replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 2:55 PM

Hi

I live in New Zealand and fabrics here are very expensive at a quilt store - USD22 a yard American equivalent but the quality tends to be excellent.

I have ordered fabric from KSQ and when it arrived I was very pleased with it - good quality and prompt delivery from half way round the world. And such a bargain - half the price including shipping from what it would be here in NZ.

You guys in America are so lucky to be able to purchase fabric at what seem to be such low prices. Also, the choice you have available on line is amazing - not all online stores will ship internationally.

My stash currently consists of fat quarters for the current project I am doing (a machine Baltimore Quilt class) plus fabric for two other projects in patchwork. So extremely modest. But I am sure it will expand.

I am coming to America in December to attend my daughters graduaton and plan to pay for an extra suitcase full of fabric and tools etc for quilting to bring home lol. That will expand my stash somewhat.

I would LOVE to know how big everyone's stash is and how long it took to collect. Then I can tell hubby that mine is very modest. Then maybe he will stop moaning about the bits and bobs that end up on the credit card every month when I have been to a fabric store or gone online.

He has only just gotten over the ordeal of the Janome Horizon purchase going on the credit card last month. Just so you ladies can compare - it cost NZD4,500 which at current exchange rates is USD3,600 which is VERY expensive I know.  But I love it.

Cheers

Helen 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 3:01 PM

Helen

The good machines are all expensive.  I would love to have one of the Bernina 830s but they go for about $12,000.  Just can't see that kind of money in a machine.  The Bernina 435 that I have was about $3000.  I also have the Janome Horizon.  I got a real steal on that one.  I saw it advertised in our little Trading Place paper.  It was only $1500 and was still in the box.  The man's wife had bought the machine to take up quilting and then became ill and passed away.  Of course I don't have a warranty because it was used but that is ok.  I heard that only a month after I purchased the machine the man also passed away.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 6 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use