Page 1 of 6 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 78 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 477
Points 6,070
Isabella Posted: Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:07 PM

I have been checking few fabric web sites for inspiration but every time I find a nice fabric I am having trouble deciding how much I need to buy. How do you ladies do when you find a fabric that you like but you don't have a project for it yet?

Thanks

Isabella

Isabella

• | Post Points: 110
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:16 PM

1/2 yard to a yard of the fabric if you have no project for it yet. General rule is usually 1/2 but if you really like it and will end up using it for more than one project get a yard.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:21 PM

Isabella

I always buy at least 3 yds of any fabric I find that I like but don't have a specific pattern.  With 3 yds you have enough to do just about any pattern that you find.  If it is something that I may like for a backing I buy at least 9 yds.  That way I have enough to do a king size quilt if I want.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:26 PM

Yeah if its for backing thats different. I was talking about general piecing. But if you have the money for 3 yards for general piecing thats a good rule. If on a budget like me I usually only buy a yard if on a really good sale so I can stock up on colors that way like from Joann's. If from real quilting store where sales are rare at times I buy 1/2 to a yard depending on the fabric and my feelings towards it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:31 PM

Carey

I used to do that but found that so often I didn't have enough of the fabric to do what I wanted.  That is when I started buying in 3 yd quantities.  Even if it means I only buy one fabric on that trip.  This way I always have enough of a single fabric to make whatever I desire.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:34 PM

Yeah that happens at times to me and then I have to find a like fabric in my stash which is almost nothing with general colors and patterns.  Mostly floral and themed now left. I do have some blues, greens etc of one color. But I wish I had a unlimited fund of quilting money.  Thought the stash would never die lol but it is definitely going away now that I can't afford to replace :(

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:45 PM

When I first started quilting, a friend said to buy 2 yards of  basic solids, each color. Then how ever much the patterns called for in the prints. Hasn't worked for me. Never enough stash to get creative.. This 3 yard rule is so much better.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 0
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 477
Points 6,070
Isabella replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:47 PM

Thank you ladies, this helps a lot. I am going to try to save some money to start the 3 yrds stash.

I have another question: do you buy a lot at Jo Ann or you go to the quilt stores?

Isabella

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 12:57 PM

Isabella

I do buy alot of my fabric from JoAnn's.  You just have to watch and make sure the fabric has a good thread count.   Another of my favorites is www.connectingthreads.com    They have some really beautiful fabrics and awesome prices even when it isn't on sale.  Most of their fabrics run $5 - $7 / yd.   I have even found sale fabrics at less than $3 / yd.  

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,402
Points 415,599
gini replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:00 PM

usually 3 yards, unless it is for applique then i buy in 1/8ths if they'll cut that small.   if i know it won't be a focus fabric, then i will get 1 or 2 yards.   if i absolutely love it, i will finish the bolt.   that is how i ended up with 8 yards of huge  bumble bees on yellow background.   i will find a quilt  for it.      i bought some bright, very bright, yellow fabric with huge vines and pink flowers and red flowers.  i think i had 10 yards of the stuff.    finally, after 10 years,  i found a quilt that it is perfect for.    not only is it a beautiful quilt, but it has a wonderful surprise underneath. 

the quality of fabric at joanns isn't as good as that as the fabric in most quilt shops, so it depends on what you're using the quilt for.  our ben franklin's here has a limited supply of fabric, their fabric on the bolts is mostly very good,   their flat folds is not. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:02 PM

Nana:
and make sure the fabric has a good thread count.

Nana, do you check the thread count merely by looking at it, or does it actually provide the thread count somewhere on the bolt label?  I have to say that I have been disappointed by how easily some fabrics fray - even some name brands from quilt stores.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:04 PM

Gini

I agree that alot of JoAnn's fabric isn't the quality of quilt shop.  Although our JoAnn's has started carrying quilting line fabrics by the same designers and manufacturers as the quilt shop.  Has the same price on it too....LOL>    I have found some very high quality fabrics in their regular line.  You just have to pay attention and really look closely for the better fabrics.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:10 PM

Lately, at my local quilt shop, it is so expensive to purchase fabric at her new high prices (due to the cotton issue) that I can't afford to shop for fabric there any longer. Likewise, the shops that I drive 17 miles in either direction to buy from. I have started to do my buying on line as the shops on line have some great prices and all the great names in quilt fabric. I would have to drive all the way to the Atlanta subarbs (65 miles or more) to get to other shops. With the cost of gas what it is, it is less expenisve to pay the shipping and buy on line.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:12 PM

Sukochi

I do alot of buying online as well.   And some of the places offer free shipping with certain order amounts.   It is always so much fun to get the package in the mail and play with all the fabrics.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 1:21 PM

I agree.  Their cheaper fabric is just that, cheaper fabric, with a lower thread count.  But I still buy quite a bit of their fabric, just have to be careful and very selective.

Page 1 of 6 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use