Top 10 Posters

What are you up to today? #4

Page 355 of 419 (6276 items) « First ... < Previous 353 354 355 356 357 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,275 Replies | 41 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 73
Points 1,890
Lisa replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 5:48 PM | Locked

Margaret Weber:
Since it is a goverment PCS move all we have to do is supervise the movers, this is a new experience for me.  Over the next few weeks it will be getting things garbage and or donated that we don not want to take to California. 

Margaret - having done many of these government pcs moves I can tell you a few things:

1. Even though they are contracted by the government make sure you pack your valuables to go with you.  One of our moves anything we had that had a religious aspect (nativity set made by my SIL, cross on the wall etc. disappeared in our move from San Antonio, TX to Valosta, Ga.).  Anything safe or safety deposit worthy should be packed away before they come to see how many boxes they need so the items are already out of site. Take photos with a time stamp - along with something to show they are from where you are currently at.  It makes it easier to file a claim if anything is damaged in the move. -Stereo, TV, bookshelves, tables, anything that can be dented or scratched (good idea for any kind of move)

2.Have bottled water etc to offer the movers - scratch their back etc.. seems the time we ordered in Pizza for lunch fewer things were broken/missing at the other end.

3. Make sure trash is already outside - one time we got to our new home to unpack a box with the bathroom trash basket wrapped in moving paper...with the trash still inside!

4. Anything you pack to take with you - make sure you put a LARGE sign - DO NOT TAKE and designate an area for just these items, point it out to the person doing the inventory so that it doesn't get a sticker and find its way on to the truck (We sold a window a/c to the person buying one of our homes - it was in the shed for the winter,  it managed to make the move since the note not to take wasn't big enough, we ended up having to drive it back to the "old homestead" - we were lucky we had only moved a couple hours away).

5. Most of all enjoy the fact that someone else is doing the packing!  Also ask if they will remove boxes on the other end.  Some are contracted to remove any empty boxes (from you unpacking) while they are still there for the delivery.  We usually unpacked the hanging clothes boxes into the closets and as many of the kitchen boxes (dish pack) that we could while they were unloading the truck.  These are the larger size boxes that some trash/recyclers won't pick up unless they are cut into small pieces, so if possible save yourself a big hassle even if your kitchen is put away haphazardly.

GOOD LUCK!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 5:57 PM | Locked

I think I was extremely lucky in all my gov't moves.  I never had anything disappear or get broken - but i have heard some stories... I wish you luck in this...

I have been working on moving my stuff from the large room to the smaller room all day - whew - not even close to being finished... I have a lot of organizing to do to get it all to fit...lol  I stacked 3 of the drawer units on top of each other... have some of the stuff in the bookcase but just in there any way at the moment - once I get all the stuff in the room I'll start organizing the shelves... I have 6 more drawer units to move into the room and all the stuff from the cubby shelves that Jay made me on the ceiling... tomorrow plan on moving all the wall thingies holding my threads... 

I keep telling myself it will get done slowly but am so impatient to have it done - my neck started screaming so have the heating pad on it and resting - probably for the evening - and tomorrow am going to make the Craftsy January blocks and take the day off... church - sewing - football - 

Back to re-organizing and moving the stuff on Monday...

Also, have to get my UFOs organized to take pictures of them - 1st on the list is my Paperdoll quilt - have been going to do that for Echo (GD) for 2 years now - saw it as I was moving stuff... so decided it gets done first... then maybe my Oklahoma quilt - it has been waiting to be finished since 2006... and I have several quilts that need bindings on them - motivation!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 5:59 PM | Locked

If I may just through something in here. ALWAYS have a family member at the truck when the unloading is being done, with the inventory in hand. Have them call out the number on the carton/whatever and be sure it is marked off. THEN, direct them to the location that carton is to go. 

My Mom used to take photos of important pieces of furniture before it was loaded. that way, if it was unloaded with damage, there was indisputable proff.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 6:33 PM | Locked

I've been sewing lots and lots of string blocks for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt, sewing them on pages from old phone books. Today my 5yr old DD comes into my sewing room, looks in the garbage can and says "Mom's aren't supposed to tear paper into little tiny pieces"

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 6:37 PM | Locked

Ha Ha Jacy, she got you

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 6:40 PM | Locked

She sure did Leslie, not much I can say next time I find her cutting paper into little bitty pieces!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 6:46 PM | Locked

HI MARIE, I SEE YOU

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 6:55 PM | Locked

Jacy:
"Mom's aren't supposed to tear paper into little tiny pieces

Gotcha....  That is too funny Jacy.  You will probably pay for that in the future.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:12 PM | Locked

Too Funny, Jacy. Did you invite her to help you tear paper?

Margaret, my hubby's sister married an Airforce man. Not long after they got together, he was re-stationed from CA to Germany, and the military handled all of the packing and shipping.  SiL is not a very gracious person and I have very little doubt that she made life a nightmare for the crew there to do her packing. No Pizza and back scratches from her, that's for sure!

So...they got to Germany and their stuff was delayed 3 weeks. Then 5 weeks... They finally got everythng after they'd been on base for about 2 months. Not only did they find all of their trash neatly packed... but the family cat as well!! The poor animal had expired, of course, and was badly decayed.  I like to believe that the movers could not have been that cruel;  that the cat had just been curious and gotten shut into the shipping container by mistake.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:16 PM | Locked

Jacy. I am so impressed that you and others on here have time to quilt AND raise kids.  I sewed and baked when raising my kids but not on the level you all do. Amazing women!

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100
Margaret Weber replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:22 PM | Locked

chocake2:

So...they got to Germany and their stuff was delayed 3 weeks. Then 5 weeks... They finally got everythng after they'd been on base for about 2 months. Not only did they find all of their trash neatly packed... but the family cat as well!! The poor animal had expired, of course, and was badly decayed.  I like to believe that the movers could not have been that cruel;  that the cat had just been curious and gotten shut into the shipping container by mistake.

CC, how awful.  I would hope that it was an accident and that the cat was a little too curious because otherwise that is just sick and cruel.  Maybe your SIL should have been nice and offered drinks, pizza etc., but no animal deserves that as a payback for being treated rudely.

Thankfully we do plan to be kind to the movers and offer them drinks and such.

Margaret

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100
Margaret Weber replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:30 PM | Locked

Lisa:

Margaret - having done many of these government pcs moves I can tell you a few things:

1. Even though they are contracted by the government make sure you pack your valuables to go with you.  One of our moves anything we had that had a religious aspect (nativity set made by my SIL, cross on the wall etc. disappeared in our move from San Antonio, TX to Valosta, Ga.).  Anything safe or safety deposit worthy should be packed away before they come to see how many boxes they need so the items are already out of site. Take photos with a time stamp - along with something to show they are from where you are currently at.  It makes it easier to file a claim if anything is damaged in the move. -Stereo, TV, bookshelves, tables, anything that can be dented or scratched (good idea for any kind of move)

2.Have bottled water etc to offer the movers - scratch their back etc.. seems the time we ordered in Pizza for lunch fewer things were broken/missing at the other end.

3. Make sure trash is already outside - one time we got to our new home to unpack a box with the bathroom trash basket wrapped in moving paper...with the trash still inside!

4. Anything you pack to take with you - make sure you put a LARGE sign - DO NOT TAKE and designate an area for just these items, point it out to the person doing the inventory so that it doesn't get a sticker and find its way on to the truck (We sold a window a/c to the person buying one of our homes - it was in the shed for the winter,  it managed to make the move since the note not to take wasn't big enough, we ended up having to drive it back to the "old homestead" - we were lucky we had only moved a couple hours away).

5. Most of all enjoy the fact that someone else is doing the packing!  Also ask if they will remove boxes on the other end.  Some are contracted to remove any empty boxes (from you unpacking) while they are still there for the delivery.  We usually unpacked the hanging clothes boxes into the closets and as many of the kitchen boxes (dish pack) that we could while they were unloading the truck.  These are the larger size boxes that some trash/recyclers won't pick up unless they are cut into small pieces, so if possible save yourself a big hassle even if your kitchen is put away haphazardly.

GOOD LUCK!

Lisa,

OUr plan is to have the cars preloaded with the stuff that is going with us to avoid any problems there.  That will include the fireproof safe that has all importand documents and valuables.

DH has done thes moves before so all garbage will be out and the only things left in the house will be the things that the movers need to pack up.  Any of the pool itmes and paint needed for the rental agent will be locked in the shed out back so that the movers can't pack that up.

Right now we are busy going through the house and getting rid of things that we haven't used or we no longer need we are donating so that we don't have excess going to California with us.

We will also have the water and refreshments and such to offer the movers to show our appreciation for their hard work.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:31 PM | Locked

CC

If she was truly rude I can understand delaying their shipment but I would hope the cat being in the box was purely an accident.   That is terrible.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:41 PM | Locked

Ginny:
Oh Nancy,  do you have snow there now?  We had an inch or so come down the other day, but it got washed away in the rain yesterday and last night.  We officially topped our wettest year ever since records started in the 1800s last night.

Yes, we finally got an inch of snow, but it's turning into mush with the warm damp day we're having.  I'm just thankful for a little moisture.  Following one of our wettest ever spring and early summers, we headed into one of our driest ever falls.  I always say these things even out.  If you are super wet in Michigan now, I predict your next weather swing will be towards a major dry spell.

Has the drought lifted in Texas yet, southern members?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,412
Points 62,115
Bonita replied on Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:43 PM | Locked

chocake2:
By next Christmas we'll have a carpet creeper

CC, carpet creeper sounds so much better than rug rats. You have a way with words. LOL

Page 355 of 419 (6276 items) « First ... < Previous 353 354 355 356 357 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use