What are you up to today? #4

Page 181 of 419 (6276 items) « First ... < Previous 179 180 181 182 183 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,275 Replies | 41 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,225
Points 41,065
Donna B replied on Fri, Nov 18 2011 9:59 PM | Locked

Patti:

Earthquake!  4.0, epicenter very close to us.  Deep, about 5 miles.  5:09 am.  Marge P, and Donna B, did you feel it?  Exciting way to start the day.

Yes, I felt it too!!!  We have a 60 # Lab mix that only gets on our bed when something scares her, like thunder, snow sliding off the roof, etc.  So, my first thought was that the dog had jumped on the bed...NOT.  Then I realized she was still in her bed but the bed had literally jumped/shook.  My first thought was earthquake, but didn't see anything on the morning news until I looked at our local internet provider's site.   I checked all my carnival glass collection and nothing moved or was broken, so not a problem here.

I also had a doctor's appt in Omak so had to go over the Loup this morning (just before Marge P and Lee).  Saw them at the clinic and had a good laugh about the early morning "shake up" (instead of "wake up"). It was really snowing hard on the Loup coming back this afternoon, but cleared as we got to the summit and nothing new in the Methow Valley.  We have about 8 inches on the ground and are hoping for more. 

We have a little problem at our house right now...our boiler (heat for the house and hot water) went out.  Thank God, we have a woodstove as supplemental heat source, so we are not freezing to death.  Went to a part-time neighbor's house for hot showers this morning before the trip to Omak.  That sure felt good!!!  The forecast for here is single digits for the next 2 nights, so we are turning on a couple of electric space heaters in the basement and one in the cat's greenhouse (to keep them cozy).  Boiler should be repaired by next Wednesday (if the parts arrive on time).  Oh, the price we pay for living in paradise...

Obviously no quilting today!  Maybe tonight!   I am still working on the applique for the "hello kitty" lap quilt for my DS.  With 36 cat "faces" to put ears, noses, eyes, and mouths on - I finally resorted to machine applique (sorry Gini).  If I wanted to get this done before her April BD (let alone the Christmas present it was suppose to be), it was the only choice.  It is still taking longer than I had hoped...but I am making progress.  I am doing them assembly line fashion:  all the eyes and mouths are done, working on the black noses now and ears are next.  Then applique the faces onto the bodies (in the quilt blocks).  Here's a pic of the block without the faces:

Happy Anniversary Nana,

Karla, maybe the snow to come will put out the fires?  Let's hope and pray.  (We live with wildfire danger here too, but usually in the summer.)

Everyone have a great weekend...filed with hours of merry quilting,

Donna B

Winthrop, WA

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, Nov 18 2011 10:06 PM | Locked

We were commenting just this week that there were very few wildfires around here this summer (which is the season for them), but this one was a real surprise.  Now they're saying that the snow will probably not hit the valley floor, only the mountains.  Wish it would snow and settle some of this dust.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,343
Points 254,929
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:07 PM | Locked

My goodness blizzards ,earthquakes and  fires . you all are having some awful stuff happening . We just had to put up with the wind today , I think it was in the 50's  you folks out west can keep your S---w .I don't want it here  LOL .Stay safe and warm though . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 796
Points 12,845
Quiltless replied on Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:09 PM | Locked

Patti:

make that 4.6 and over 7 miles deep.

That's Mother Nature's rock 'n' roll, Patti.  Hang on tight.  

Happy Anniversary, Nana.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:15 PM | Locked

Kath

I can't think of a single triangle space in my house.  And unfortunately I spend the majority of my time downstairs so I have everything heavy above my head.  I could be in real trouble if we had a bad earthquake.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 796
Points 12,845
Quiltless replied on Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:21 PM | Locked

Actually, the "triangle of life" advice we received a few years back is disputed.  I guess the standard advice is still to drop, cover and hold under a desk or solid table. One suggestion was to get a whistle and tape it under desks and tables so the quake survivor can blow on a whistle for help.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:45 PM | Locked

When they give alerts here they tell us to get to the lowest part of our home and shelter in a small area with NO windows.   That would be our downstairs bathroom and actually that portion of the top floor doesn 't have much to fall.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 7:44 AM | Locked

Just a smidgen of snow, a real light dusting for us last night,  but it is cold.  The high temp is only supposed to be in the low 30's today...yesterday it was almost 60 but very, very windy and earlier in the week it was in the 70's.  Must find my winter jacket today, I think.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,332
Points 249,857
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 7:54 AM | Locked

Yes, am up early again - woke at 5 am - pain in my legs just would not let me lay in bed any longer and i tried.  Got up took my pain meds and rubbed some oils into my legs - this will be a sewing day!  I am already itching to get at my sewing machine... more arcs for my DWRs are just waiting to be produced...lol

I finished up the house work that I would normally do today yesterday - so sewing machine look out...teehee...

I am so excited though - we are going to MN to spend Thanksgiving with the kids - Cassie and I have been emailing every day for several weeks now - lots of prayers have been answered - it seemed like this day would never happen but the family has worked through all the problems and the Sun is shining brightly - A DIL that i was very leery of and a relationship that could have failed when they split has been mended and the culmination is that we will be spending Thanksgiving with our son and his wife and our grand kids.  

Although my pain levels never seem to diminish or go away completely - I have beauty in my life.  Quilting taught me patience and that patience has paid off - so many tears went into so many quilts - if they could only talk - but now the ones I am making are full of sunshine - feels great!

So I just say to all that although you may have problems with your children that they do listen to us and our hard work on teaching them right and wrong does get through those thick little skulls of theirs and the sun shines at the end of the tunnel.  

I know all the bad days are not over and that problems will arise again - but I do have hope now that in the end - all will be good - if I can just continue to have patience that my quilting teaches me.  

Smiling in Oklahoma!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 7:57 AM | Locked

Glad things are working out for you, Thea.  God bless you and your family.  Have a great Thanksgiving with the grandkids.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 7:59 AM | Locked

Didn't get above 50 yesterday and was very windy.  I don't know what the weather is supposed to be like today.  I know - boo hoo - didn't get above 50 ---- when you gals up there in the frozen north country are having snow and single digit temps.  You have to remember it is all relative.  Up there the 50's is probably a heat wave.  With our new mattress, we can't have heating pads or electric blankets.  Once you warm up your spot though, it is nice and toasty so I guess we will survive. I gave out electric blanket to the kids because they got rid of their heated water bed so David was already grumbling about how cold the bed would be this winter.  :o) 

Got all the way to the Synagogue last night and got sick to my stomach.  We didn't even make it to the start of the service.  Dave asked me on the way back home if this gets him out of having to come with me on Sunday.  :o)  He actually "owes" me a couple of visits to Second baptist but i will probably give him a day off. 

Today is our last machine quilting class up at the LQS. :o(  I have really enjoyed it.  Peggy is a good teacher.  Today we will get to play on the long arm up there as well as work on our DSM.  Joni should be here around 10 with her new machine in hand.  When I last talked to her, she hadn't had a chance to practice any free motion on the new machine.  I was able to get some practice in on 3 days so far.  I am glad that I remembered that I bought a special free motion bobbin case for the Janome.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618
Marge (AKA Dimples) replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 8:01 AM | Locked

Thea - what wonderful words of wisdom.  Have a wonderful day quilting!!!

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 150
Susan replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 8:57 AM | Locked
Hi ladies, I would like to know where a quilt show is in Phoenix AZ.? Jan is the month we plan to be there to visit our son and family.It would be so rewarding for me to attend anything pertaining to quilts... May be we could even meet:) We always love to walk to the park that is close to our sons house! When it's snowy in Missouri thats the time to go :) We did run into a horrible snow storm traveling through Flag Staff one year though. Susan from Missouri
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:31 AM | Locked

Good Morning,

The IP says it's 3 below this AM. My thremometer says it's a bit colder then that, but I'm not sure just how much because there's frost coverin the dial. Somewhere around -6, I think...

DS didn't have the camera with him when he discovered the critter pile in the hen house, and I sure wasn't gonna go out there to snap a picture! I'm sure there will be other opertunities, as it's shaping up to be a chilly winter.

Why can't I post picts? I have no idea. I'm stumped. I keep getting an error message whenever I try to up-load anything. Either that or it just sits there and doesn't do anything besides showing me the"i'm busy-please wait" hourglass thingy. I've tried waiting it out, but after 1+ hours, I gave up. The pic of the stone took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to post, but at least it came up.  Does anyone have any ideas??

I got up thinking that I have a darling pattern for a smocked dress that I really oughta stitch up for my little "neice" at Christmas. I wish I'd thought of it while we were in town yesterday, so i could have bought material. Guess I'll see what I can find on-line...  First, I probably oughta see if I can even find the pattern. LOL

The kids ahve made their desire to help witht he baby's quilt plain, so I imagine today we'll all gather around the computer and see what we can come up with on EQ.

Stay warm everybody!!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,343
Points 254,929
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:49 AM | Locked

Thea ,have a safe trip to Mn.to visit the family and  nice holiday, wave at me when you go thru Liberty Mo.   Today I'm going to my twilling class so I hope to learn good things . I've been waiting fo this class for awhile so I'm anxious to learn.. today is cool and cloudy no s---w thank goodness ..

CC,that is just to dang cold ..LOL 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 181 of 419 (6276 items) « First ... < Previous 179 180 181 182 183 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.