What are you up to today? #4

Page 82 of 419 (6276 items) « First ... < Previous 80 81 82 83 84 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6,275 Replies | 41 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,329
Points 249,772
Thea replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:53 AM | Locked

Sept - May - we went Sept to June in NY - and had 2 months off in the summer for our vacation - we didn't have so many teacher's days - or holidays - just the big ones that are federal... I don't remember spring breaks... it was Christmas and Easter... but they say now you can't have those off - as they are Christian - and school has to be generic - so it is winter and spring break... do not understand any of it...  

Here in Oklahoma the kids go from August to May - Jay (DH) says they used to have a couple weeks off in the fall for harvest or planting - so they started earlier then the schools up north.

I really think our schools need to get back to basics and teach the basics so that our kids can learn how to do it without a calculator or an I-Pod to look the information up on...  I do agree to dressing decently too - I think it makes a difference in how you act... if you have nice School clothes on, you are more apt to pay attention - I believe that is what all the testing about that has said too... if you dress like a slob - you tend to act like a slob... 

Okay - off my band wagon... What am I going to do today!!!  

I didn't sew a stitch yesterday but I did work with my fabric - took a big box of scraps and went through it and organized it - I pressed and sorted it all out - put it back in the box but now know what is in there and will be using it shortly...

Today I am going to clean a little on the house - spruce it up some - do some laundry - and and SEW... Yep - going to work on my Twister quilts... I think each of my family members that get quilts from me are going to get Twister Quilts this Christmas... I just am having too much fun making these... The border fabrics arrived yesterday - so I can sew them together - back them and quilt them... fun stuff...

That is what my day is going to be about...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:59 AM | Locked

So, kids in my area of Canada go to school from the end of August (or the begining of September) to the end of June with a week or 10 days off at Christmas and a week at Easter.  What is the schedule for your bunches?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100
Margaret Weber replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:02 AM | Locked

CC, the history of your town soounds interesting.  I love learning stuff like the history of small towns and things like that. 

I am off to get a little quilting in before work, since I am not meeting DH at his office for lunch today, it gives me a little extra time at home before work.

Margaret

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,667
Points 49,560
Debbie-do replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:37 AM | Locked

Althea :

I really think our schools need to get back to basics and teach the basics so that our kids can learn how to do it without a calculator or an I-Pod to look the information up on...  I do agree to dressing decently too - I think it makes a difference in how you act... if you have nice School clothes on, you are more apt to pay attention - I believe that is what all the testing about that has said too... if you dress like a slob - you tend to act like a slob... 

** have you thought of running for public office??    I'd vote for you twice if I lived in your district!!!

Yep - going to work on my Twister quilts...

**what's a Twister quilt?  I just checked your gallery to see if you had pictures of any and came away awestruck at the gorgeous work you do, especially A Journey to Light.  From the small picture I thought maybe it was a panel, then I read the comments and pulled it up to get a closer look... wow.  What a lot of work.  What a beautiful quilt!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 12:29 PM | Locked

Our kids start school the last week in Aug and got through the 1st week in June, with 10 days off over Christmas and 2 days (4 day weekend) over Easter. The boys will actually log an extra 25 hours (a year) of classroom time over the other schools in the area because of thier longer days, despite the 2 days a month they get off that the other kids don't. And because it's such a small school (less then 20 students total in all 9 grades) they get a lot of 1-1 attention, so I really do believe they are getting a better education then they would going to the big school down the road.  And, frankly, that is a dang sight better then the city schools! They do have a dress in all of the schools here, and can be expelled for not fallowing it. To be sure, It's more casual then it would have been 50 years ago, but there are definate rule to what is allowed.

So, thought I'd share the view from my backyard with you. This is looking East from the Chicken pens this AM:

And this is the view looking west from the same spot:

It was pretty overcast this morning (Still is, for that matter). On a clear day the wheatfields just glow at sunrise!!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,976
Points 57,820
Ginny replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 12:35 PM | Locked

What glorious views you have Chococake.  If it weren't for the fact you have already seen snow, I would be tempted to move to such a place....Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,871
Points 420,189
gini replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 12:38 PM | Locked

great pics CC

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 12:55 PM | Locked

hard to believe I took those pictures at the same time, isn't it?

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 145
Becky S replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:11 PM | Locked

Beautiful! What a terrific view!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 86,340
Sukochi replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:13 PM | Locked

Chocake, i miss read this. I thought I read that you took both pictures from the same spot.  I looked at them three times and said to myself "that is not from the same spot, where are the trees in the bottom one?" then I read that they were facing different directions. DUH!

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 86,340
Sukochi replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:21 PM | Locked

Debbie-Do, I am working on a Twister quilt using the twister template, I believe there are now 4 different sizes. They are made of plexiglass. I made a Twister wreath with the 3 inch template. It takes 9 charms plus   3 inch borders. I ,now, am about to get a large Twister (10 inch template) finished. It takes a layer cake. And then you add 6 inch borders. To see my wreath, go to my gallery. You sew the blocks together with a 3 inch border around them. Then you place the Twister template on the semas matching them with the cross hatch on the template and cut, that will give the "Twister" pinwheels. So much fun. There are tutorials on the net. I love it. You never really know what you will get till all the tempates are cut and places.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,871
Points 420,189
gini replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:36 PM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
i miss read this. I thought I read that you took both pictures from the same spot. 

i'm still trying to figure out how she took two pics at the same time.  two camers?   i'm pretty sure i would drop one or both, but i'm only unidexterous.   :  )

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,343
Points 255,554
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:40 PM | Locked

CC  Beautiful Pictures, What a glorious sunrise..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:49 PM | Locked

Right now I am alternating between frogging on the quilt loaded on the frame and piecing steps 4 & 5 of the MQV.  I am also preparing for the marathon baking session tomorrow and trying to hurry because the grandsons get out of school an hour early on Fridays.  So far nothing is going too well, except the weather which is beautiful today...in the 80's with lot's of sunshine and no wind.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 410
Points 7,035
PennyWyo replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 2:14 PM | Locked

Karla:

Right now I am alternating between frogging on the quilt loaded on the frame and piecing steps 4 & 5 of the MQV.  I am also preparing for the marathon baking session tomorrow and trying to hurry because the grandsons get out of school an hour early on Fridays.  So far nothing is going too well, except the weather which is beautiful today...in the 80's with lot's of sunshine and no wind.

Sounds lovely in Nevada, Karla.  Here in Southeastern Wyoming we are in the 60s.  Had to put my tomatoes, etc. in the greenhouse last Saturday when we had several inches of snow.  Went out and picked a pile full today.  In between cleaning today, I'm trying to finish a thankgles quilt I am doing the quilting on for someone.  If I can ever finish, I plan to immeidately get out Steps 4 & 5. 

Penny

Page 82 of 419 (6276 items) « First ... < Previous 80 81 82 83 84 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.