Horror stories

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 75 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate posted on Fri, Aug 12 2011 9:37 AM

Does anybody have a quilting horror story to share?

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,922 Posts
Points 125,010

Kate:

Does anybody have a quilting horror story to share?

Oh, yeah, like satin stitching appliques on an entire quilt with the wrong color thread. I thought it was black (bad lighting in my room) and it was actually GREEN. The one color the recepients (daughter and son in law) of the quilt did not want in their Shrimp Boat quilt. But alls well that ended well. They said it wasn't THAT noticable. Doubt if they'll ask me to do another custom quilt (I hope)

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 10:18 AM

Oh Judy I feel your pain! 

Sounds like something I would do.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Judy T-Bellingham:
They said it wasn't THAT noticable
I can't believe they even mentioned it and I hope they don't ask for another quilt.  As far as I'm concerned, if a person "knows exactly how they want the quilt made" they are well on the road to doing it themselves.  It was an absolutely wonderful quilt and I would have been proud to put that in my boat. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,922 Posts
Points 125,010

Vivian :

Judy T-Bellingham:
They said it wasn't THAT noticable
I can't believe they even mentioned it ... It was an absolutely wonderful quilt and I would have been proud to put that in my boat. 

Actually, I pointed the green thread out to them. There was this big pause, my son in law looked at the quilt closely. Said, Yep, it's green alright. They emailed me after putting it in the boat and said how much they loved it (along with the tongue in cheek comment about keeping the lights low). But, you're right Vivian, I won't make them (or anyone) another one to such specific order.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

I'm sorry, I tend to snap over quilt making. It takes so long and is such a process that anyone who doesn't quilt can't possibly appreciate everything that goes into making a quilt.  I might promise to be nicer, but I really don't think it will happen.  I tend to be very defensive of my friends.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,737 Posts
Points 436,785
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 10:52 AM

Kate

The only one that pops in my mind is a Double Wedding Ring that I was making as a gift.  It needed to be a large queen size.  I did 3 blocks....fussing and cussing.   Then I decided that if I wasn't willing to put that much effort into a quilt for myself I definitely wasn't doing it for a gift.   Made something completely different and they loved it just the same and I didn't have a headache.  Still haven't made a Double Wedding Ring but I have found some patterns since that look easier to manage.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 12:08 PM

I understand - that looks like a tough pattern. Before my daughter was born I bought a crib sized double wedding  ring quilt made by the Amish in Lancaster PA - it was around $70 21 yrs ago! Labor intensive!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 12:09 PM

Which reminds me... it is Amish custom to make an imperfection on purpose, because only God is perfect. 

Great words of wisdom for us quilters lol. 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
98 Posts
Points 2,555
Kate replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 12:11 PM

I recently did one for Quilts for Kids Inc. 

I didnt notice until I took it out of the washer, that two bottom squares were upside down. 

I took pics and showed it to  several folks and nobody noticed!! I even asked for them to see the error. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,537 Posts
Points 416,944
gini replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 12:37 PM

Kate:
it is Amish custom to make an imperfection on purpose, because only God is perfect. 

so far i haven't had a problem making  perfect quilts

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
648 Posts
Points 10,145

Isn't the little "goofs" part of what makes a quilt so wonderful? It's all part of the story of the quilt, just as much as when it was made, who made it and what they were doing at the time they made it. What fabrics were used - like, "that's grandpa's shirt" or "I picked up that fabric in a great shop on vacation".  I'll bet everyone that receives a quilt loves the story of how it was made just as much as the quilt itself. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,737 Posts
Points 436,785
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 12:46 PM

Kate:

Which reminds me... it is Amish custom to make an imperfection on purpose, because only God is perfect. 

Great words of wisdom for us quilters lol. 

I don't have to do my imperfections on purpose they just kinda happen naturally.  LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,537 Posts
Points 416,944
gini replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 12:59 PM

i had just finished n appliqued border on a beautiful appliqued quilt, and sliced right into the body of my quilt.   it now sports an extra bee in an odd spot

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

I was picking out stitches and cut the fabric, so ditto on the bee.  Hard to fix when you don't have fabric to redo the border/

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 6 (76 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use