Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 174 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 172 173 174 175 176 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 114
Points 2,910
Cindy Stowe replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 8:14 PM | Locked

Ramona,

Have you checked the threading of the upper thread? Sometimes the thread jumps that hook piece just in front of the tension dial. I've had that happen to me a couple of times & when I re-hooked the thread the problem cleared up.  Hope this helps.

Cindy Stowe

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,309
Points 26,915
Elizabeth replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 9:49 PM | Locked

Romona, when this happened to mne I completely rethreaded the top thread and also oiled the hook, it did fix my problem.  I have a Babylock Jewel which is just like a Handiquilter and was told I needed to oil the hook everytime I changed the bobbin.  Since I have been doing this I have had no problems.  Hope this helps

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 140
SueR replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 7:56 AM | Locked

When was the last time you changed your needle?  Is the needle straight and all the way seated in the needle bar?  Do you notice the loops more when you are moving one direction or another, up, down, left, or right?  Needle flexing can cause the hook to miss catching the thread from the needle skirt and this can cause looping.  This can be more noticeable when you are pushing the machine away from you.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 9:33 AM | Locked

sewlady003,

Thank you.  I can see where that would cause a problem but in this case I don't think speed is the issue. I've done this meandering probably a 100 times and haven't had this happen. It seems to be getting progressively worse.  I haven't ever had any issues with my stitches or my machine so I just don't know how to trouble shoot (Except for the one time I had loops on the top about a year after getting my machine and I was told to tighten the top tension 1/2 turn and that fixed it. They said it was normal and it was getting broke in. )  Anyway, if you think of anything else that I can test for, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 9:40 AM | Locked

Cindy,

I was noticing the top thread coming through the rotary tension on a sample this morning and it appeared to be jumping a bit so I tightened the top tension. The jumping has stopped but the stitches are terrible on the back.  I also re-threaded the top thread and double checked the bobbin again.  I'm not use to have issues so I don't know what all to try. Ahhhh  Thanks you so much Cindy. I appreciate you giving me advice.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 9:44 AM | Locked

Elizabeth,

Thank you. I did re-thread and was really hoping that would help and I do oil with each bobbin change. I had thought  it might be the backing. She did pre-wash but I think she used a softener. I can still smell the detergent.  Smells good but thought that might be the problem because it seems difficult to pull the bobbin thread up through it when starting a new row. I don't know if it's the fabric or the thread is getting caught on something.

Thanks so much. If you think of anything else, let me know.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 9:53 AM | Locked

SueR,

Hummmm, I changed it before I started all those flannel quilts I just did. Guess that will be my next step.  Had forgotten all about changing that needle after those quilts. Goodness. When bringing up the bobbin thread I have noticed that it seems to be caught on something and I have to, not always, go back and try to get it again with a tug or in a different place. This mainly happens on the edge of the quilt. I thought it was getting caught in the securing stitches down the side.  Maybe it isn't meeting up probably. It does also seem that the loops are mostly happening when the machine is going away from me.  I'm doing the meandering.  Going to change that needle RIGHT NOW!

Thank you. Keep your fingers crossed....I am!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:59 AM | Locked

Hi All,

Ahhhhh, the needle changing, tension tightened, top thread re-threaded, bobbin checked, oiled and still no luck. The loops are getting worse. I have to get it off the frame but I still have about 5 rows to go.  I'm going to change thread and get a sample and see what happens.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 140
SueR replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 2:45 PM | Locked

Hi Ramona,

There are several things that can cause this issue.  There could be lint or thread build up in the bobbin path.  Try using a can of compressed air to blow out the bobbin case.  The hook assembly could be worn in the bobbin case or the timing can be off.  I would check your owners manual to see if there is a way to check the timing and the spacing of the bobbin hook to needle spacing.  Hope this helps.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 4:26 PM | Locked

SueR,

After doing all of the above mentioned, I did change out the thread, cleaned the bobbin and the bobbin area and worked on a sample by taking the machine out of regulated mode.  Even took off the throat plate to be sure I'm getting all the lint. I do clean that area with every bobbin change and most certainly with this thread as it was very linty Everything stitched fine. I then loaded the first thread (yellow) back on the machine and it stitched fine. I then went back to the quilt and there were the loops again! I then re-wound another bobbin thinking it could be the way the thread is on the bobbin. Still didn't work.  It must be a combination of thread and fabric that it doesn't like. I'm going to load some muslin on the frame and stitch with the yellow thread and see if it does ok there. I just went ahead and finished the quilt and will discount it. 

I do appreciate everyone's help in this endeavor. I am going to check the hook and spacing but being that the loops happen so far apart, would that be it? I'm willing to try anything. :-) I hate to trash the thread but I can't have quilts turning out like this either.  I'll let you know if I get a solid solution.

Thank you!!!!! You guys are the best.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 4:30 PM | Locked
Cindy Stowe replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 8:14 PM

Ramona,

Have you checked the threading of the upper thread? Sometimes the thread jumps that hook piece just in front of the tension dial. I've had that happen to me a couple of times & when I re-hooked the thread the problem cleared up.  Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------

Cindy,

I just got a note back from my Gammill  and they said the same thing and showed me how to loop the threads on the IT to test for it or prevent it. I'm going to give that a try too and see if it stops. Putting on the practice piece to see.   He said it could jump out and back in and, unless you were watching it, you'd never know it happened. I never thought I'd get a reply from them this fast. This group is always on top of things and I do appreicate it. Will let you know what ends up working.  Thanks again!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 6:43 PM | Locked

Hi ramona,

Sorry to hear about all your trial and tribulations.  To answer the tension, there is a rule of thumb, once the bottom tensionis set (when you hold the bobbin in your palm and pull the thread, the bobbin lifts off your hand and climbs like a spider back to your palm), The all your tension is adjusted from the top only.

This means that loops on the bottom is from the bobbin thread pulling loose top thread down and makes loops.  So adjust on the top, if it is really loopy, turn a full turn at a time. If it is a few loops, tighted by half turns.

Also after I changed my needle Miss Jewel didn't like the 6:00 oclock position so I set her at 6:15 To 6:30 position.  Miss Jewel has a very small mark on the front of her hopping foot that is the center position. By placing a straight pin in the eye of my needle I am able to turn my needle to just the right spot. I hope that makes sense and hope it helps!

Judylee

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155
Snugglebug Quilter replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 7:09 PM | Locked

Ramona, I'm no expert but it sounds like your timing is off. Do you hear a clicking as your needle goes up and down as if it is striking something?  I had a similar problem and had to adjust one of the timings. I'll look up the name and let you know. 

Zeba

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 7:10 PM | Locked

Judylee,

Thank you! When I made my top tension adjustments I only did about 1/2 turn and it didn't help much so I didn't do any more. I guess I didn't turn it enough. I'll have to remember that and kept your notes for the future.

That's a great idea on the needle position. I will certainly keep that in mind and I'm going to chk mine by that method right now.

Quilt hugs to you and thanks again! All information is greatly appreciated. There is so much to learn and so much to try, it seems, with each glitch that comes up. Whew!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 7:13 PM | Locked

Snugglebug Quilter,

Ooooooo, timing, that sounds scary. No, thank goodness.  It doesn't sound like it's striking anything. But what ever information you can provide in that area for future reference would be great.  I'm glad it isn't that.

Thank you

Page 174 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 172 173 174 175 176 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use