Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 152 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 150 151 152 153 154 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 6:46 AM | Locked

Hi Jeanine,

I love rounded designs on the stip quilt. That pattern makes the quilt look soft!

very nice,

judylee

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 9:58 AM | Locked

Judy Lee:
I can hardly wait to get my quilt off Miss Jewel so I can see the whole design

Actually, my husband came into the sewing room to talk to me ( unusual, but I digress)  and found me laying on my back on the floor under the frame with a flashlight.  apparently thats not normal (in real life)  Real normal in quilting life, though!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:25 AM | Locked

LOL! Vivian,

I am lazy! I have a really large hand mirror and a bright flashlight!  I can see all my stitches and see if there is a problem, too, before I quilt to far and end up frogging my life away.  Your DH will get used to the strange positions that you will get into.  I give my DH problems and let him invent things for me that way he feels like he is part of the process!  But Honestly...it is to get him out of my hair so I can quilt...sssshhhh...don't tell!

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:39 AM | Locked

Actually, thats a good idea.  I never thought about a mirror and I have been sitting here going "Mirror?? Mirror??  AH!!! MIRROR what a good idea!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:44 AM | Locked

Vivian,

It is amazing what you can come up with when you are lazy!

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:47 AM | Locked

I know, but sometimes it takes me more time to save time.  I might just as well have gone ahead a did it the hard way.

I stepping into the sewing room before I left for work this moring to do a little sewing, i have two lap quilts that really need to be done for tomorrw, and I just noticed thread across the front of my shirt. ...Sigh..

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:54 AM | Locked

Jeanine:
It is a very big pattern but I think it looks good on the jelly roll quilt.

You know, I'm going to have to get some pantos.  You do such a nice job on them and it has to be better than paying attention to every direction change to make sure your overall pattern is going to look good.  Yup, gonna get me some pantos. Where do you get yours from, Jeanine?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 350
TJ replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 1:20 PM | Locked

I have a question about aligning the backing on a frame.  Let's say you have a panel design and you've added borders around it to make it large enough for the backing.  Is there a way to center it on the frame, with the panel going parallel to the bars, so that when quilted, it's actually centered?

I had a pieced back that had  5 sections.  I put the quilt on with the left and right sides on the bars, and I tried to center it by matching top and bottom center pins along the sides.  After removing it from the frame, though, everything was not centered.

Can you only center a backing by placing the top and bottom edges on the bars?  But will that still center the backing between the top and bottom?

Have I totally confused all of you or do you understand what I'm trying to say?  It's hard to describe some things without pictures.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 3:18 PM | Locked

Measure your backing to be sure it is at least 6 inches bigger all the way around.  Your leaders should be marked at the centre point, your backing and your top should be marked with the centre point, match and pin.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 3:20 PM | Locked

No matter what way you load it, you will have a more difficult time centering one way.  You have more control of centering the quilt top on the backing based on the center point of the bars.  The other direction will be a best guess because you can't see both ends and watch it as you quilt.  You will have some shrinkage due to the stitching and probably some adjustments due to smoothing the quilt as it advances.  If you care more that it is centered vertically, I would load it vertically.  Or you can let go of perfection and go with a more modern or organic look.  That would be my preference.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 3:26 PM | Locked

Vivian :
Yup, gonna get me some pantos. Where do you get yours from, Jeanine?

I tried to give you some websites but it wouldn't post it.  So go google pattern man, Quilts Complete, and Quilting Connection, LLC.  Those are three I have used in the past.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 3:58 PM | Locked

Perfect Jeanine, I'll do that.  I was on a couple of sites.  Is 15/16 dollars what you usually pay?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 350
TJ replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:31 PM | Locked

I've been happy with the pantographs from www.urbanelementz.com.  They're having a sale now and the nice thing is, they have sizes for all machine sizes.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 350
TJ replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:44 PM | Locked

Jeanine:

No matter what way you load it, you will have a more difficult time centering one way.

That's kind of what I figured.  But even if you load it vertically, it still probably wouldn't be centered, because the excess of my backing usually ends up at the bottom, since I usually start about 2 inches from the top of the backing.

Thanks for the reply.l

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 6:44 PM | Locked

TJ:

Jeanine:

No matter what way you load it, you will have a more difficult time centering one way.

That's kind of what I figured.  But even if you load it vertically, it still probably wouldn't be centered, because the excess of my backing usually ends up at the bottom, since I usually start about 2 inches from the top of the backing.

Thanks for the reply.l

You can create your backing to anticipate a two inch lead at the top and more at the bottom.  

Page 152 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 150 151 152 153 154 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use