Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 103 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 101 102 103 104 105 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,008
Points 28,310
Ramona replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 2:31 PM | Locked

Vivian,

I just can't say enough about how absolutely beautiful this quilt is!! You have done a fantastic job on your feathers. Are those called claw feathers? Just wonderful. Wish we lived close I'd pick your talent on these.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 2:36 PM | Locked

Oh, nononono, this is a quilt that a friend was given to finish.  Her mother had passed and I borrowed the quilt to take photos and trace the stitching.  I would love for this to be my quilt, and I'll practice and maybe someday it will be. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,008
Points 28,310
Ramona replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 2:50 PM | Locked

Vivian,

Sorry I got it confused but it's still a beautiful quilt. You do such good work that I know you'll have this pattern down in no time. It's great that you have the quilt to trace the pattern. I'm glad you posted the pictures as two of the quilts I have waiting on me when I get back to Ky have the setting triangles. Had been wondering what I should use.

I had seen someone, maybe on The Quilt Show, that did what she called claw or cat's claw feathers. Look similar to what was used on this quilt you have. I love how they look. She did a really nice job and I know it won't be long before we'll be seeing a quilt picture of your beautiful work.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 3:17 PM | Locked

I guess it could be called a cats claw.  You do one full feather and one "claw"  or what ever order you want to. Some "claws" are quite elaborate and fancy.    I'm finding that the designs are not rigid and can be changed quickly and simply.  I am just concerned about matching patterns in blocks etc. say on all four corners etc. this is work I would prefer to do rather that actually get showered and dressed and go to work every day.   when I was working out of my home office, i never got dressed until 2ish.  and I got a lot more work done to.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,008
Points 28,310
Ramona replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 4:05 PM | Locked

Vivian,

Whatever it's called it's really a nice pattern. Hope I can learn it. You will do great. Can't look at all four corners at the same time anyway. lol I'm sure you'll get them so close no one can tell. 

I agree. This is something I'd would rather do as well. I'm "retired" but I'd much rather quilt  than do housework!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Mar 2 2012 9:33 PM | Locked

This looks like Sally Terry's Hooked on Feathers technique.  I personally love it and it's really not that difficult.  Here is a link to the book that I learned the technique from -- http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Feathers-Sally-Terry/dp/1574329731/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330745441&sr=8-1

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,008
Points 28,310
Ramona replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 6:10 PM | Locked

Georgia,

That does look like it. Thanks for the book site and it's on sale!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,008
Points 28,310
Ramona replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 6:12 PM | Locked

Judylee,

Anxious to hear how you did today on your "after surgery" outing.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005
abcquilting@yahoo.com replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 7:20 AM | Locked

If you go to handiquilter.com, and then go to Products. Pick templates and rulers and then click on one of the templates or rulers. Then click on Videos. Each template or ruler with have a video showing how to use it. Here are a few tips though.1. hold the ruler with 3 fingers and have one finger holding the ruler against the hopping foot while the others press down on the ruler. 2. As you advance along the ruler put the needle down and lift your hand and reposition it down the ruler just like you did at the beginning of the ruler. 3. You need to practice your hand position until you feel you have control of the ruler-it is not moving on you and it is against the hopping foot. 4. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN NO. 1. You need the bed to put on your machine so the ruler is not bouncing on the material. They are specially made for each machine so whicher machine you have if you do not have the bed already go to the internet site of your machine and check them out. They are not cheap-Handi Quilter is $89.00, but they are essential if you are going to use rulers. 5. Start by bringing your bobbin thread up. Then do a couple of stitches to lock it. Then trim the ends and position the ruler where you want to start. GO slowly until you feel you have control. Speeding up may get done quicker, but the posibilty of the ruler slipping is greater. Using rulers does slow you down, but the results are well worth it.

I hope this has been helpful. Bettie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005
abcquilting@yahoo.com replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 7:28 AM | Locked

The feathering is beautiful. I want to learn feathering. Anyone got any ideas on where you can find tutorials on feathering? I'd appreciate any help. Bettie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005
abcquilting@yahoo.com replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 7:35 AM | Locked

Thank you so much for the link to the Hooked on Feathers book. I've been looking for just this type of information. Thanks Bettie

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 3:38 PM | Locked

Thanks Ramona,

I got home around 10 Friday night, had a nerve block,that lasted me to get home.  I went to the Floriani quilt truck show.  It was a lt longer than I thought that it would be. Glad to get home. today is probably going to be the worst of it,  I CAN HOLD MY NEEDLE YET!  I want to work on my Grandmother's garden quilt!

LOL!

I WILL sew tomorrow!

thanks again,

judylee

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 350
Karen replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 11:38 AM | Locked

Welcome Deloris!!

Vivian great job on you quilted feathers and thanks for sharing the other quilt with feathers......we can all strive to be as successful.

Judylee I hope you have a quick recovery.

My husband was home for a week so we were very busy and I didn't have much computer time.  I finished my quilt, I will try to post pictures soon, but the pantos are going to have to wait.  I have 6 quilts to quilt from clients, so they need to get finished before I have any time to play and practice (yes I know this is just another great excuse).  I expect to be very busy in the next month or so as we have 2 quilt shows coming up in April.

I have used books as weights on my quilt instead of using my hand and they work great.

I have my rulers finally figured out after breaking one.  Abcquilting is correct in her post, I have found taking it slow, moving your fingers along the ruler next to and just ahead of the hopping foot works well.  If you get going to fast or ahead of the pressure you have on the ruler the ruler can slip under the hopping foot.....not good for needles, rulers or most of all your machine.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 1:52 PM | Locked

I also learned that you have to be careful on which side you put the ruler so you can see.  Also, the base is indeed essential.  I put a needle through a ruler because I was to busy to locate the base for just a few inches of sewing.  BIG mistake.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 6:13 PM | Locked

Yeah! I went into my sewing room and began to sew!!!!! I found out that if you hold your rotary cutter like a giant Yellow Kindergarten crayon, it takes the pressure off my wrist. I cut and sewed 8- 15inch oriental blocks today. YIPEEEEEEEEEE

Judylee

Page 103 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 101 102 103 104 105 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use