Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 97 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 95 96 97 98 99 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005
abcquilting@yahoo.com replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 2:30 PM | Locked

I agree with Jeanine. I love to share what I am learning with others although I don't spend enough time at classes and projects at the quilt shop. I do believe you are very fortunate to be very creative. I personally need panto's and designs to put together. I don't have a great imagination, but the work I have done for others has all been received very positively which motivates me to keep working and learning all I can from other longarm quilters. My dream is to one day fly out to WA state and go to Longarm University for 7 days-4 days of scheduled classes and 3 days of all one on one teaching. The flying, motel and meals is half the expense. I live in North Central PA and quilt shows and other quilt gatherings are mostly confined to county fairs. I did get to go on a bus trip to a Philly quilt show a few years ago. I had a great time! Continued success with your business. Like Jeanine I am working on building a business, but it takes time. Bettie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005
abcquilting@yahoo.com replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 2:46 PM | Locked

I have wanted to use a panto for a border, but I'm confused on how to do it.  The corner is printed on the panto but I really don't understand how to use it. Got any suggestions? I know I need to do some practicing to try to learn how to space it like I did with the panto itself. I needed a lot of practice before I used it on my first quilt (and only panto quilt). Thanks a bunch Bettie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010
Charlotte Casey replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 3:25 PM | Locked

• I have done a separate Panto for the border and body of the quilt.  I do the top border, then change out the Panto and do the main body of the quilt all the way down, then re-load the border Panto to do the bottom border.  Then you take the quilt off and turn it to do the pantos on the side borders which are now on top and bottom.  Of course it is more time consuming but the effect is very nice.  Just play with placing the border Panto until you have it positioned across the border and into the corner the way you want it and if you need to add a little extra corner embellishment you can freehand it to match.  My biggest challenge with this is being careful of not getting puckers on the backing fabric when you reload.  I have a pcture of one I did on a snowflake quilt but haven't figured out how to get photos on here from my new iPad.  Maybe someone has a tip on that for me!  Good Luck and have fun!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 3:41 PM | Locked

Bettie,

I did mine like Charlotte said only on the inside of the quilt I did custom work. I didn't have a corner on the panto. I just quilted the top border, custom worked the inside of the quilt and then used the panto on the bottom border. I then turned the quilt and worked the corners in with some extra freehand quilting to make it blend in. I baste down the sides of my quilts as I go to stabilize them to the batting and backing. When turning my quilts I haven't had a problem with puckers on the back but I will certainly watch out for that. Good tip Charlotte. Bettie, give it a go on a smaller quilt.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 3:48 PM | Locked

sometimes if you fold the panto to make a corner it works.  lots of matching up but it can be done.

Not by me, of course, but I know it can be.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 4:44 PM | Locked

Vivian,

You funny. I don't  think it would be for me either unless it was a very special quilt. Certainly something to keep in the back of my mind.

Oh, and I love you new signature!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 4:45 PM | Locked

It turned out a bit big, But i love the font.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 7:47 PM | Locked

Jeanine, I agree with you, but have experienced what  Judy is talking about and from more than one  longarmer.  I have been so very  lucky to have the QCA group here or it would have taken me a whole lot longer to get anywhere with my machine.   I don't plan to do this to others.   Seems like those that are not willing to share thier knowlege have never heard that knowledge that is not shared is worthless. 

By the way, the lady that brought me the first quilt to do, that was so upset about the binding,  If you recall, I had showed her how to make a binding before she left the studio.   I did not think I would ever see her again.  But she brought me another quilt top.  When I asked her is she wanted me to bind it, she proudly said she could do it herself.  That she had bound the crib quilt and it was so cute.   I could tell how proud she was and I was kind of proud of her too.  This time I showed her how to use a spider and avoid the mess at the beginning of her seams.   I can't wait to see the improvement if she brings me another quilt top .

I will never get rich or probably even make a decent living from this quilting, but I really don't care, I much prefer having fun with it.  And after all the help I have received here, it is only right to pay it forward.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:55 AM | Locked

Granny M,

AHHHHH!!! I had to smile when you said the lady brought another quilt to you. That is absolutely wonderful. You were so kind to show her how to do the binding and you made her feel so good that she was able to accomplish that task. I know she is sharing a good "word of mouth" about you and your quilting. Maybe you should consider doing a small quilt class at some point.

Pay it forward is a great motto that we should all live by.

Again, GREAT JOB Granny M!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 1:04 PM | Locked

You are so right Granny M, if you can't have fun with what you are doing, it just isn't worth it.  Paying it forward makes both you and the recipient happy.   You go, girl!....Ginny 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 3:48 PM | Locked

Hi Jeanine,

I have never had a single quilter not willing to share her ideas or techniques or projects. I have taught 3 different ladies how to get started with their Longarm and they said the same thing.  The closest shop is 3 miles from my house and the longarmer that certifies users for the rental machines is the only one her that has the knowledge and skill but only for a 2 hour session on the rental machine.  I understand that others do not want the competition but we all have different talents to offer.  I learn everything that I know from watch Linda Taylor video and anything that I can find on the internet.

Some of the other Longarm clientel are seeking me out because as you say, with a 4 month wait on their quilts, they are  will to give someone else the work! I have stayed very busy for the last 2 years and I do not advertise, I don't want to have that 4 month waiting list.  Also with health  issues in the way I have to allow for down time.  But I do so love it here on QCA, I have never been disappointed in the responses to my question. 

I am thankful for all the friendly help that I recieve from all of you!

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 4:20 PM | Locked

Great job, GrannyM,

It all works out for the good. Instead of giving her the fish, you taught her to fish for herself! She will never be Hungry ! LOL  Maybe not so good of an analogy after all!

You taught her how to do the final touch on her project and that always feels so go when that last stitch goes in on the binding!

Kudos

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 4:59 PM | Locked

Granny M:
This time I showed her how to use a spider

Maybe you could show me?? what is a spider?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 5:14 PM | Locked

Vivian,

I'm not sure because I've never heard it called that, but I think Granny M is talking about a small piece of fabric that you put under your foot before you start sewing. I use it when I piecing my quilts. I just call it a starter piece. Just a small scrap that you start sewing on before you get to your project. It avoids the thread nests that you can get at the beginning of a row  or it helps when you have a stubborn piece to get under the foot.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:34 AM | Locked

I'm 3 days behind so I'm just jumping in.

Woo hoo I got my Fun Quilter back on Tues, now just waiting to hear from Vicki to see when she can come and help Kent put her back together and I can get David's quilt done and off the frame.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 97 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 95 96 97 98 99 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use