Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 96 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 94 95 96 97 98 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 7:08 PM | Locked

Judylee,

You always manage to make me laugh.

As for your first question. The spacing between the rows is done from the pattern itself. It should have a registration mark or a line. If not, then, after doing the first row, you put your needle down at the highest spot of the pattern. Right on the highest stitch part of the design. You leave the needle down and roll the quilt until your laser light reaches the lowest part of your pattern.  Then tighten your quilt keeping the laser on the lowest part of the pattern. The patterns are made where they off set the pattern between the rows and not stitch over the previous row.

As for the rows working out evenly. I have never had one work out exactly. I've come close but never a winner. Every quilt stretches differently and  reacts different when quilted. You can give it your best shot but don't be upset if it doesn't come out perfect. It's not something I worry about.  Allowing for the spacing between the rows, the stretch of the quilt the pattern is just too much. Finding the right pattern that will fit a 103 inch quilt top that stretched is hard. If someone has a secret, please let me know. What I do is, as I approach the bottom of the quilt, say about 24 inches from the bottom or several rows of your pattern, is I measure and see how close you are to the pattern reaching and being a full pattern. You can do a little adjustment by where you've placed your needle down on the pattern when you are advancing the quilt. You can put the needle down further away from your highest stitches or back the other way. A "little" bit of difference in the space between the rows is not noticable. Most of the time you have to just split the panto design when you get to that last row. I figure that by moving the machine, without sewing, down the pattern to see how much of the panto design will stitch on the quilt. I then run a line of masking tape across my pattern so while I'm stitching I know where the quilt stops. (where you would be quilting off the quilt). I have a piece of plastic that my pantos lay under and I can place masking tape all the way across without messing up my paper panto design. If you're real good, you could just remember that when you get to a certain point on the panto you are off the quilt.

I do hope I have made some sort of sense. I'm sure I'll be picking your brain when I get back to my machine and get quilting again.  You can friend me and we could pick some more.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 7:13 PM | Locked

Judylee,

I do hope and pray your surgery goes well. You better than I was about getting something prepared ahead of time to work on. You go girl!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 7:15 PM | Locked

Judy Lee:
How do you line up the spacing in between rows and how do you know how many rows to work out evenly?

This is why I am so glad I rented a machine before buying my own!  It was great having someone around while I quilted to show me the ropes. 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010
Charlotte Casey replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 7:34 PM | Locked

Ramona this was a wonderful summary of pantos.  I have one more tip to add that was passed to me when I started.  Always start your quilting with a partial row of pantos, then when you (undoubtably) have to end with a partial row, it is not nearly as noticeable because you have a partial row on top and bottom.  So Judy, I just start by putting a line of masking tape over about half the Panto, horizontally, and quilt that for the first partial row, then remove the tape and make the next row a full row.  Good luck!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 7:49 PM | Locked

Hi Jeanine,

Locally, there aren't anyone longarmers willing to share information.  Why train your competition?  I have a clientel and being an artist has really saved me and gotten me many jobs. But I always want to learn more!  I do appreciate the willingness to help others that I find here!

Thanks

Judylee

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 7:53 PM | Locked

Thank you, Charlotte,

I will add that to my list!  I may even draw up some groovey boards so that I can have original pantos..hmm. My gears need a little grease, I think smoke is coming out of my ears. LOL

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Mon, Feb 20 2012 8:12 PM | Locked

Charlotte,

That is a wonderful idea. Thanks for the great tip!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 1:25 AM | Locked

Charlotte Casey:
Ramona this was a wonderful summary of pantos.  I have one more tip to add that was passed to me when I started.

Thank you Ramona and Charlotte on these tips and summary.  I have printed them off so I will have them handy on the next panto.  Also, I am wondering if any of you start your panto inside your borders and then go back and do either  horizontal and vertical borders to finish off the borders.  By using the blue painter's tape as a beginning and ending points it should work.  Just curious if any of you do that.  Thanks again for the good tips.

MargeP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 8:50 AM | Locked

Marge P,

I have heard of others doing just what you explained. A separate design for the borders and a panto on the internal portion of the quilt. I have not tried it myself but have that idea in the back of my  mind to do some day.  Let me know if you do a quilt like this and any hits you may have found out that might be helpful.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 9:12 AM | Locked

Marge P,

I meant to say too that I did use a panto as a border once. It was a little bit of a challenage to get the pattern worked in the corners but not bad at all. Looked great when finished.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 11:50 AM | Locked

RamonaC:
I meant to say too that I did use a panto as a border once.

Ramona - that sounds like a great idea.  I hadn't even thought of that and I have lots of narrower ones that would work.  I want to get more quilts done using pantos and just need to get with it.  Thanks again.

Marge P

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 11:57 AM | Locked

Marge,

It was the perfect pattern that was needed on the quilt so I gave it a go. The quilt actually won a blue ribbon in our local quilt show. :-) Let me know if you try this and how it works for you. With all the movement in a quilt you couldn't even notice that I had to figure out the corners and added a little extra line/swirl to make it work.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 12:25 PM | Locked

Judy Lee:

Hi Jeanine,

Locally, there aren't anyone longarmers willing to share information.  Why train your competition?  I have a clientel and being an artist has really saved me and gotten me many jobs. But I always want to learn more!  I do appreciate the willingness to help others that I find here!

Thanks

Judylee

In my experience, quilters = generosity.  I can't imagine being any other way.  How can you not share your excitement with quilting with other quilters.  I do understand competition as I am trying to grow my own business but I want people to come to me because I am willing to share and will go the extra mile.  I have a new customer that has been to my house twice now.  She has been quilting for two years and is just at that absorbing everything stage.  She stays over an hour each time and I have showed her how to do machine binding, given her patterns, shown her how to do a rag quilt, etc.  I don't have to do this but we are building a relationship that can only be helpful in the long run.  She also wants to come to my quilt ministry quilt days.  And next time she is asking if she can bring a friend who also has a quilt for me to do.  I have been to seminars where the quilter says to schedule 15 minutes with your customers and only schedule one day a week for drop off/pick ups...  Time is money.  That is not what I will do.  If I make $2/hr and work 80 hours a week, that's what I'll do.  Maybe if I had a 4 month backlog, I may change my mind a little...

Why train your competition?   Wow!  Every long armer around here I've talked to has been more than willing to show me things and answer questions.  And I believe we are all better off for it. 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 12:37 PM | Locked

Jeanine,

I agree. I would think the quilter who doesn't share is probably not a busy quilter. Everyone has their specialty. I have even had a quilter who was backed logged and asked me to do quilts for her.  She also had a quilt that wouldn't fit her setup so she asked me to quilt it. I have even loaned her my machine to do a quilt on since my quilting space is larger and she needed it for the design. I find sharing has worked out great for me. When I am up north I drive an hr one way to attend a HQ16 club meeting. She, and all who attend. shares a lot of good information with anyone and everyone.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005
abcquilting@yahoo.com replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 2:21 PM | Locked

I have done one panto on a quilt and I loved doing it. I am not sure at all how to do a border with corners. The panto is marked but I would have to play with it on practice material to learn how to do a corner. I practice most everything I do for days before I do so I get it down and don't mess up the quilt top. I am an eager beginner! Bettie

Page 96 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 94 95 96 97 98 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use