Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 93 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 91 92 93 94 95 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 5:37 PM | Locked

Judy Lee

These are both beautiful quilts.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,867
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 11:46 PM | Locked

Pretty quilts Judy Lee. You did a nice job on the quilting.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 350
Karen replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:27 AM | Locked

Hi to everyone, this is a great forum.  I have been reading past posts and am enjoying & learning.  I have a Jewel with computerized program that I brought overseas as excess baggage last January.  I have learnt alot in the past year through trial and error and just keep on learning.  I do mostly free hand, ruler work and some computerized quilting but am terrified at the thought of doing a pantograph design.

Karen

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005
abcquilting@yahoo.com replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:44 AM | Locked

I see the Dr today. I'll let you know what he says. Thank you Bettie

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 80
JanellWhiteley replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 9:35 AM | Locked

Hi

I bought a Tin Lizzie longarm machine about two years ago.  I have it on a 10 ft. frame and am quite pleased with the setup.  I have the longarm in my bonus room, which is the length of a two car garage.  The only complaint is the lack of good lighting in the room...

I work full-time, teach part-time and try to quilt full-time so I don't spend as much time as I'd like with my machine.  I have a over 80 quilt tops that need to be quilted so I just started out free motion stippling.  I have a stitch and speed regulator on the machine so I practice my speed and keeping my shoulders relaxed.  The few tension issues I had in the beginning was due to going at an uneven speed; too fast and then too slow.  I also "over oiled" the machine as there is nothing to show how much oil is needed; I'm back on track with just a few drops...

I have some pantographs but have yet to use them.  I am having so much fun with the free motion stippling; I just added stars and flowers to my stippling and am really enjoying the process.  I finished 10 quilt tops in the month of January and have done 4 so far in February. 

My goal is to take lessons at the Longarm University in Kent, Washington.  I took a beginning lesson from Wanda Rains at Rainy Day Quilts in Kingston, WA.  She is incredible!  I plan to take an intermediate lesson from her...she does phenomenal machine quilting. 

I read all articles on longarm quilting in the quilting magazines and just subscribed to a Machine Longarm Quilting magazine.  I have a business, Finishing Touch Quilting Services, but like most other new owners, am still not actively advertising as I feel I more practice at the machine. 

I am looking forward to this discussion as I wish to learn more about longarm quilting.

Thanks!

Janell

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 9:38 AM | Locked

JudyLee, The quilting looks great to me!  I think we set expectations in our own heads & can be hypercritical when "reality" is different. The circles I see in the top photo look really smooth & the leaves I can see in the bottom are lovely :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 9:40 AM | Locked

Welcome, Janell :-)  Sounds like you're going to be busy learning more.  Once you start quilting more tops, you'll whittle your pile down in no time!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220
Grandma Sal replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 10:52 AM | Locked

Welcome Janell,

I have had my TinLizzie for 3 years now.  I have it set up in a room that is long and narrow that fits my 10 ft. setup perfectly... part of our shop space we converted in the garage.  It is a finished room with a drop ceiling and in the ceiling we have 3 banks of 4 fluorescent bulbs/tubes that run crosswise to the quilt frame, not lengthwise.  There is no angle that produces a shadow on my work.  Lighting was high on my list of priorities when we planned this room. 

Next on my list... no concrete hard floors to cause issues when I had to stand for very long. Having a concrete floor, we put interlocking cushioned/padded squares that you can buy at Sam's.    The padded flooring helps keep my wheeled stool from running away when I am sitting as I panto along. I have a really cool "sit stand stool" that has many adjustments.

I can certainly meander without a problem, but I really, really enjoy doing pantos.  I envy those who can create beautiful free-motion designs.  I'm getting better at my feathers, but they take so much practice.  I guess everything we do on our wonderful machines takes lots of practice.  I'd say with 80 quilts waiting in the wings, that you will have the opportunity for lots of practice.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155
Snugglebug Quilter replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 1:46 PM | Locked

Well Ladies, I have set the date for closing my daycare and officially changing course to long arm seriously.  Truthfully I have a bad, bad back which is a strong motivator, that and I need to lose some (a lot) of weight, reason number 2, but the bottom line is no more babies after Feb. 29, and more kids will be leaving mid-March.  I will have a few left,but they are in school and don't come 'til later, so I thought that is a good way to ease into this.  At least I will have my mornings free to exercise and longarm.  I'm excited and terrified all in the same breath.  Add to that the fact my husband just started a new job and we will be moving to the Chicago area in a few months...I'm a bit more than nervous.  Honestly I've never lived anywhere buy my home town, so I'm a bit apprehensive about it.  Anyway, here goes!!!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:00 PM | Locked

Snugglebug Quilter:
Honestly I've never lived anywhere buy my home town, so I'm a bit apprehensive

i was apprehensive about our first move, too.  after the first one, i enjoyed moving to a new place and getting to explore new territory.   we're home for good now, but we still go on exploratory road trips.   i miss the excitment and anticipation of moving to a new place.

not the work involved though, i don't miss that.

however, the  "stuff" purging was good.  it didn't seem to affect the stash at all, but it seemed to make room for more stash.  now that i think about it, i could probably purge without moving.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:01 PM | Locked

good luck on your new venture and adventure

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 3:25 PM | Locked

Snugglebug, hang in there! I hope the transition goes well for you.

Where in the Chicago area is your husband's new job?  I'm not from Chicago but now live on the northwest side of the city, so you'll know at least one person here! Friend me if you'd like & we can converse.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 5:33 PM | Locked

Thanks Kris,

I now have a purple Turning Twenty quilt on my Miss Jewel.  I have my really good thread and am ready to kick threads!

Judylee 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 5:37 PM | Locked

Welcome Karen,

I have the same machine and love it.  I am an artist and do a lot of free hand but I need to learn to use pantos too.  Maybe we should pick  the brains of everyone who does pantos, I think Jeanine uses pantos.

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Fri, Feb 17 2012 5:43 PM | Locked

Welcome aboard Janel,

I have a suggestion on the lighting, my DH put a Tube light in the center of my longarm machine. It gives off lots of light even on cloudy days. 

Look forward to see some of your quilts!

Judylee

Page 93 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 91 92 93 94 95 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use