Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 74 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 72 73 74 75 76 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 3:21 PM | Locked

Yes,the only time I get around to the back of the machine is to turn it on or off and most of the time I can reach it from the front.  Live and learn.  I also found out that I can't leave my machine with the needle in the fabric.  I have to finish and push the carriage to one side to keep it from sitting in one spot and causing dimples in the tracks. makes the carriage jump just a litle. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 3:22 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
So I took a look, and by golly, I do have a hand wheel!  It's pretty hard to reach though because I don't have access to the back side of my machine and frame due to a narrow room.

I have the same problem Nancy...I can't really get to the back of my machine either.  Sometimes makes it rather difficult and because of this I have been unable to use pantographs, but I sure would like to.  I keep asking my DH to knock at that wall and make the room bigger, but since we live in a manufactured home, he just laughs at me and says when you win the lottery we'll just move into a bigger house.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 3:25 PM | Locked

Karla:
and because of this I have been unable to use pantographs, but I sure would like to.

Yeah, me too, Karla.  Oh, well, this will force me to get better at freehand.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 3:33 PM | Locked

MN Nancy,

Glad you took a look and now know for the future that it is there. :-)  I can get to both the front and back of my machine. I've had to do this a few times to dislodge the thread. The wheel towards the front of the machine doesn't seem to work as well for this, the front wheel I have on my Gammill.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:05 PM | Locked

That is wonderful, Vivian,

Quilter's are unique in that we keep trying until we get her done!  I use a long bristle artists paint brush to brush up between the plate and the bobbin. Usually, like RamonaC, I also turn the Hand wheel and brush again. 

Judylee

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 430
Gram replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:24 PM | Locked

I just joined and started reading this section.  That is a great idea to dance a little to loosen up from quilting.  I am taking clogging and line dancing so this will be a good time to practice while quilting.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 5:10 PM | Locked

MN Nancy and Karla,

I have never tried this but when I first got my machine part of the package contained a large rectangle piece of plexiglass. If I understood my setup guy, I could take a pantograph and place it under the plexiglass and use the panto from the front of the machine. I have a 30x12 throat area and a 24" quilting space.  There is enough room to place the plexiglass and still have room to quilt. Like I said, that's if I understood him correctly. :-) Sounds like it would work in theory. I also have a square piece of plexiglass that I could place a design under for a block design. I'm not in the state where my machine is or I would give it a go and see if it would work.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 5:12 PM | Locked

Gram,

Welcome to the group. There are a lot of talented quilters here. A good place to bounce off ideas and gather information. Glad you are here.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:46 PM | Locked

I also found out that I can't leave my machine with the needle in the fabric.

------------

Great idea. I also move my machine over to one side. I never leave the machine sitting over the quilt as there is a possibility that, remote as it may be, oil may get on the quilt. I also release the tension on the quilt to keep from stretching the fabric over night by just releasing one of the bars.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,268
Points 35,185
Granny M replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:03 AM | Locked

RamonaC:

I also found out that I can't leave my machine with the needle in the fabric.

------------

Great idea. I also move my machine over to one side. I never leave the machine sitting over the quilt as there is a possibility that, remote as it may be, oil may get on the quilt. I also release the tension on the quilt to keep from stretching the fabric over night by just releasing one of the bars.

Good heavens I never even thought of these two things.  I never leave the needle down, but have been guilty of leaving machine over quilt and the tension on the rollers.  Thanks for the tip.

Granny M

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:16 AM | Locked

Patti

Love your quilt, and especially love the idea you used for family reunion quilt .  It was smashing!  I bet you were the hit of the party

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 4:25 PM | Locked

Wow, this is an interesting conversation!  Since I have no one in my sewing room, I do leave my needle down on certain projects.  If it is complicated, with my mermory loss, I would probably waste alot of time trying to figure out where I left off.  I leave my quilt tightend but with a little play, I figure that the fabric already rolled on the bar is at the proper tension so I just match that tension.  I also never put a really tight tension anyway,.

I know that if I had children running around, I would never leave a needle down.  As far as oil leaking, Baby Lock doesn't have that problem...the only place that oil is added is at the bobbin assembly.,which is below my  fabric,  I may have just been lucky!

Judylee 

I do so enjoy all the new subject, the ones that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Jan 17 2012 5:23 PM | Locked

Turns out I do have a wheel and I can't (or couldn't get it to turn)  I'll have to call the service people to find out how to dis-assemble it. I got it part way apart but it is jammed and I don't have the patience to figure it out today and maybe not until we get home from Jamaica. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,268
Points 35,185
Granny M replied on Thu, Jan 19 2012 6:47 PM | Locked

Vivian :

Turns out I do have a wheel and I can't (or couldn't get it to turn)  I'll have to call the service people to find out how to dis-assemble it. I got it part way apart but it is jammed and I don't have the patience to figure it out today and maybe not until we get home from Jamaica. 

What a thing to have happen when you don't have time to fool with it.  It would worry me to death and spoil any vacation.   I will volunter to go to Jamaica in your place so you can get that machine working.  Anything to help a fellow "machiner"

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 3:51 PM | Locked

Heading down to do my second Quilts of Valor for the month so I can get them in the mail.  Then I hope to do several quilts for charity this weekend.  I am trying to do 12-15 a month and I've done 7 so far.  They are small and I'm not spending a lot of time on them.  I do have some panto's I want to practice on, though, so that will take longer to do the quilts.  No matter what I get done, I plan to stay home and quilt this whole weekend!

• | Post Points: 50
Page 74 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 72 73 74 75 76 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use