Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 70 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 68 69 70 71 72 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 2:44 PM | Locked

Very nice mans quilt , Jeanine.  I made a flannel quilt for each of my sons (2) for Christmas, but I STILL can't figure out how to get my picture on with my new Windows 7.  .....Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 8:03 PM | Locked

Nana, thanks for the link to Superior Thread's troubleshotting guide.  They have tension charts for various longarm machines, too - I printed out both charts as these will be very handy!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 8:06 PM | Locked

Great quilt, Jeanine! I bet he will be pleased.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 8:27 PM | Locked

Well, I finally got to pick up & set up my new longarm this weekend, thanks to help from my friend, Sue, and her van!

The shop owner decided to give me a new frame, still in the box, so they would not have to set up another one. Sue helped me set mine up for king-size since I have some larger tops to quilt (the shop just sets up for crib so they can fit more samples in their space). Even with the DVD, another person and the experience of setting up another frame, this took several hours & I didn't finish until this morning. It wasn't until I had everything set that I realized I did not have the power cord - ugh!!! I called the shop - they had it - and went back out for it as I couldn't wait to get practicing. Here's my set up:

I think some of the knobs & things got bumped in the move as the tension was off a bit, so I had to play around with that. I had bird nests underneath at first & got that fixed but now it's elongating stitches when I move the machine from the back to the front or do curves but is fine when I go side to side. I'll play around with it more anotehr day as I'm wiped out after two days! 

This is the underside of my practice piece with the nests on the left:

This shows the skipped/elongated stitches (vertical line):

Any ideas on what causes this?  One thing I will try is winding a new bobbin & changing bobbin & top thread to see if that matters, but your advice is most welcome!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 8:56 PM | Locked

Eileen

Your machine looks awesome.  As for the elongated and skipped stitches....  they usually come from speed problems.  You are moving the machine to fast for the speed you have set for you stitches.  That comes with practice.... unless you are lucky and have a stitch regulator that you just haven't turned on.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 9:13 PM | Locked

Wow, wow, wow, Eileen!  You lucky girl!  I agree with Nana that you may be moving too fast.  Either slow down, or set your machine to a faster speed.

Here's the big question for you....  How are you going to play shuffleboard now?   :-) 

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 9:50 PM | Locked

Nana, this one has a stitch regulator built in. I varied my speed to see if I could get the stitches even in that direction, but that didn't "fix" it. I tried slowing down, speeding up, etc.  If changing thread doesn't help, I may call Baby Lock.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 9:51 PM | Locked

LOL, Nancy! The sticks & puck were in the basement when we looked at the house but were gone by the time we had our inspection so we've never played shuffleboard there :-(

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,318
Points 27,020
Elizabeth replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 10:01 PM | Locked

Eileen, congrats on your new Jewel.  What kind of frame did you get.  I had the same stitch problem as you when I first started on my Jewel and it was all in the tension.  Double check your bobbin tension and then play with the top tension.  I took me about half an hour to get the tension sort of ok and the more I played with it the better it got

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,318
Points 27,020
Elizabeth replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 10:03 PM | Locked

PS My Jewel loves Aurifil 50wt hates Mettler 40 weight.  Used Metalic with now problem and Isacord with no problem

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 10:35 PM | Locked

Eileen, congrats on the new machine. Have fun!!!!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,037
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:00 AM | Locked

Eileen,

your Crown Jewel looks great. Congratulations on your new baby. I hope you get the kinks worked out soon.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:32 AM | Locked

Thanks, everyone - I aim to have fun soon but gotta get the kinks out first. It could be the needle, thread or tension, though I already adjusted the top tension & that got rid of the nesting underneath. It was skipping stitches a bit before I did that, so the bobbin is next.

Elizabeth, the shop owner gave me a run-down on the threads the machine likes & doesn't like (King Tut, Aurifil, Mettler (I think), another M-thread - all good; Sulky is a no-no for high speed machines & she doesn't like the wax on Guterman). I'm going to need a thread container just for this machine!

The frame is a Majestic.

I'm off to tinker :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:22 AM | Locked

Eileen,

I know you are so happy to have your new baby home and all tucked in. We all have to go through that getting used to each other learning time. Hopefully, she'll get adjusted and settled in soon. Glad to hear the stitching issues are starting to clear up for you. After you adjust the bobbin I hope that fixes all for you.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 4:21 PM | Locked

Hi Eileen,

CONGRATULATIONS!

i AM SO JEALOUS OF ALL THAT EXTRA ROOM!  LOL!  When  your stitches get large like that usually you are out running your stitch regulator or if you are doing it manually you need to practice keeping your speed consistant. The rest of the stitches look really good.  Have fun and Play, Play, Play!

Judylee

Page 70 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 68 69 70 71 72 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use