Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 69 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 67 68 69 70 71 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 7 2012 8:06 PM | Locked

Spud

I would tighten your top tension so that it pulls up on the bobbin thread.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,269
Points 35,190
Granny M replied on Sat, Jan 7 2012 8:08 PM | Locked

My DH has no and I mean NO business sense at all.  But he will learn.  Maybe, I have been trying to train him for 45 years with little to no luck.  I told him when we married I would give him 50 years, then we re-negociate (sp)  Well he has 5  years left.  But I am to old and tired to try to train a new one, so may just have to stick with him. 

Speaking of shows,  My grandfather was a rabid baseball fan.  He would have two radios and a TV tuned to three different baseball games and could tell you what the score was and what was going on with all three.  No one allowed to talk when baseball on though.

Men, you gotta love em

Granny M

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Sat, Jan 7 2012 8:23 PM | Locked

Nana:

Spud

Thanks Nana, that is what I thought but I've been working on this all day and am a bit frustrated. I will try that tomorrow, thanks again.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Jan 7 2012 9:45 PM | Locked

Spudgrandma:

Nana:

Spud

Thanks Nana, that is what I thought but I've been working on this all day and am a bit frustrated. I will try that tomorrow, thanks again.

Yes, Spud - tighten your top tension to get rid of the looseness on the bottom.  There is a neat chart on www.superiorthreads.com that is a great visual as to when to loosen and when to tighten your tension.  I have one printed off and it sits right in front of my domestic machine on the wall and I have a copy in my longarm binder.  I am not sure where it is on their site but probably under threads.  They are a great company to work with.

Good luck!  Nothing is worse than fighting tensions on a machine.

Marge P

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:06 PM | Locked

Thanks Marge P. I looked but did not find it, I may try again tomorrow.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:30 PM | Locked

Spud

Go here        http://www.superiorthreads.com/page/330/ and click on troubleshooting guide.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:10 AM | Locked

Thanks Nana, just what I was looking for.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 2:00 AM | Locked

Thanks, Nana for finding that info for Spud.  With all the years I have sewn, I still have to consult those little stick people figures on that chart before I touch a tension dial.  I have the bobbin tension notion as well as the top tension one from Superior but have I taken the time to really learn to use them?  NOT!

Marge P

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 8:07 AM | Locked

Hi Spudgrandma,

I have both top tension and bottom tension devices and rarely use them.  I found my problem not to be with the tension on the machine as much as the tension on the bobbin winder.  You can thread  in two directions easily and even wind a bobbin, too. And here in lies the problem

After much frustration and a newly invented vocabulary, I actually read the threading directions on my bobbin winder and found that I had chosen the wrong path and the bobbin did not wind tight enough.  The bobbin looked great but held less thread.  Now that I wind them correctly, I check tension by the pull method in my palm and then load it into my Miss Jewel. Then I tweak the top tension.  I really do not have to adjust my top tension very much at all.

Do you have the separate bobbin winder for your long arm?  I do and I prewind 4 bobbins per quilt  at and usually that is just right..

I hope this helps,

Judylee

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010
Charlotte Casey replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 8:33 AM | Locked

Hi Judylee.  I appreciated your comments about the bobbin winder and need to check that out myself.  Unfortunately, I bought my machine refurbished from the mfg and didn't get the manual so I need to do some research to see if I can find one online.  One trick I learned (that most people probably already figured out) deals with starting it up.  I found it pretty intimidating because mine started instantly when you push the bobbin in to lock it and there is no power switch on the winder itself, just the plug.  Now I have it plugged into a power strip that's shut off, then after I load and lock the bobbin in place and get a good hold of the tail, I switch the power on.  A little thing but really helps me getting the bobbins wound more easily.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 11:23 AM | Locked

Thanks for suggesting the chart Marge P, it is just what I needed. I think I have it set but may have to do some fine tuning when the Aurifil thread arrives. Thanks again.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 11:28 AM | Locked

Judy Lee:

Do you have the separate bobbin winder for your long arm?  I do and I prewind 4 bobbins per quilt  at and usually that is just right..

I hope this helps,

Judylee

I do have a separate bobbin winder. When I first got the FQ  I wound them on my Brother 1500 but I don't really have room to have it out all the time so I bought the bobbin winder. It was not working properly so they sent me a new part and then I was not feeling like messing with it; so, we just got it going last weekend. I have a Fun Quilter and it takes the small bobbins.

Thanks for the info!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 11:32 AM | Locked

Hi Charlotte and thanks for your comments. After we fixed the bobbin winder, we wound some bobbins together and I had not thought about doing it by myself. Mine does have an on/off switch so will have to remember to leave it off until I'm completely ready LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:23 PM | Locked

Here is the quilt I quilted this weekend.  I made it a few years ago so it is a UFO complete.  I am giving it to a guy at work that bid on the quilt I donated for a silent auction and won it.  I guess the lime green/ orange/ blue floral pattern wasn't his favorite!  I told him if he won, I would trade it for a quilt he would rather have.  The one he won was a lap size.  This is queen size and flannel.  Not exactly an even trade but he lent his flatbed and his muscles to help us move our stuff out and in this summer so I feel it is the least I can do!

And, yes, this is my favorite pattern to use for masculine quilts.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 9:16 PM | Locked

Love it Jeanine, it is very masculine.

Page 69 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 67 68 69 70 71 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use