Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 66 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 64 65 66 67 68 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 11:11 AM | Locked

Pretty quilting, Nancy :-)  Looks like you're really mastering quilting!

The owner at my LQS mentioned rulers when I bought the Crown Jewel & I had no idea what she was talking about - now I do! Thanks for the info & thanks to everyone else who's used them for your comments - good to know about all the tools out there!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:32 PM | Locked

Ramona,

Yes! I did get the side bars, they made perfect sense.  I liked the idea of having a smooth edge with 1 pinch point!  I will keep you posted!

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:36 PM | Locked

Ramona,

When I first go Miss Jewel, I could afford all the fancy rulers so my DH took Slats and cut them to sizes that I could use. I asked him to put the fine sand paper because the little dots didn't actually GRIP.  I learned how to use my wooden rulers first and I actually still use them. They work better than the smooth clear rulers!

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:40 PM | Locked

Hi Grandma Sal,

That is a great Idea too.  I can think of a few solutions now!

Thank bunches

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:51 PM | Locked

Hi Eileen,

This is a wonderful thread to follow, you never know what you do not know! LOL!  I have learned so much here and the sharing of information is a fantastic library to rely on.

Judylee

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 5,400
Renee replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 7:54 AM | Locked

Hello Ladies,

I am not a longarmer but, I do have a question for you. I am quiting some pot holders and the fabric has written script on it. (see the small blocks)

What would you recommend ?

I am also making a quilt out of this same fabric and need some suggestions on how it should be quilted.  I think I will send the quilt out as it will be a queen size.

Thanks,

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 425
Ruth Newton replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 1:02 PM | Locked

Wow!  I think for the potholders I would just mimic the cross and put one in the middle. Potholders don't need too much.

For the quilt there are lots of things you could do. Many times I will just freehand the same message that is written in the script on the fabric. Are you using any other fabrics? If you are then you can taken an element that is in the pattern and adapt it for the quilting.

Where did you get the fabric? My son-in-law & daughter are pastors and they are wanting a quilt for their Christmas present next year.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 2:17 PM | Locked

I am finaly quilting the snake quilt I made for my grandson, he will never notice that I am using the spaces to practice feathers in different configurations.  Love that boy but the best part is he simply dosn't pay any attention to the little things, like how his quilt is being held togeather. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 5,400
Renee replied on Tue, Jan 3 2012 3:43 PM | Locked

Ruth,

For the pot holder I was going to put the cross on the back side and the scripture block on the front.  So If I just echo stitched around the cross, that would be enough quilting?

As far as the quilt goes, I will have to wait and see when I finish it, to get some quotes on having it quilted.

The fabric is from 2007 Timeless Treasures A wing and a Prayer , here is the website, they still list the fabric for sale. 

http://wingandaprayerdesign.com/fabric-list.htm

Thanks for the help

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624
Spudgrandma replied on Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:23 PM | Locked

I'm bummed and done for the day. I got the FQ all set up so I could start quilting Maggie's quilt, but the tension is going to have to be adjusted on the bobbin. I may try when hubby gets home so he can help me. Darn, I thought I was actually going to at least make one pass.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Fri, Jan 6 2012 6:25 AM | Locked

RamonaC:

Judylee,

I just wanted to mention that my apron is one that goes around the neck and hangs down. It's not a waist one that my boobs can slide under. hehehehe

Lord what a mental picture I just got.   LOL

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Fri, Jan 6 2012 6:53 AM | Locked

Well Ladies I need a pep talk.   Before I tell you the sad tale, let me say the rulers and red snapper talk has me saving up money again.  I think I need two savings jars, one for fabric one for "extra's" for momma jewel.  Everyone seems to be doing really well.

On to why I need a pep talk.   I had my first customer.  She had appointment the Monday before Christmas and never showed up.  She called Christmas Eve day and wanted to bring her quilt up.  My DL answered the phone, I was in middle of fixing holiday meal.  He told her to just bring it up to our house.   Well she brought it about 1 hour before my guest were to arrive.  Cute little crib quilt,  I looked at it, and we discussed using a large stipple overall.  I also told her the Elephant and clown would look good outlined.  Since she was my 1st customer, I offered to do that at the same price as all over stipple. 

This quilt was poorly constructed, when I got to really look at it there were twisted seams and the backing material she provided had a two way stretch.  Anyway I took my time, had some problem, but got the quilt done and I thought it looked really cute.  Trimmed it up and and called her that it was ready.   Two days later she runs in and says she is in a big hurry as she left the baby in the car.  (choke)  I had the quilt laid out on the cutting table and when she saw it, said----You didn't hem it!!!  I am sure she meant bind it.   Binding had never been mentioned and to my knowledge everyone charges for doing the binding   When I told her she had not told me she wanted it bound, nor did she bring any material that could be used for binding. She got kind of huffy and said, well what do you do, just turn it under?  I took her in the sewing room and showed her a binding I had just made and tried to explain it to her and offer to do (at a charge) She looked and said she would just have to play with and ran out.  I really got the impression she was mad over this and I will probably not ever see her or her quilts again. 

This has been rattling in my head,.  I even had the urge to call her and offer to teach her how to do a binding for free.  I bet I will ask the next person without fail.  What do the rest of you do.   Are you binding the quilts as an extra service for free or charging.  Do you think I should contact this lady and offer to help her or just let go of it.  I feel bad because she was my 1st customer and I really wanted the repeat bus and word of mouth.

Give me your thoughts please

Granny M

• | Post Points: 125
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Fri, Jan 6 2012 7:56 AM | Locked

Granny M.--I have a "work order" sheet that I use for anyone I quilt for.  If you friend me and give me your email address, I will send it to you.  That way, you and the customer (who I give a copy of the form to) will know exactly what will be done and the price.  I also give people a price sheet and a list of important things they should know (requirements for backing, etc.  I can send you this info. also.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On'

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010
Charlotte Casey replied on Fri, Jan 6 2012 8:13 AM | Locked

Granny M you should not feel bad.  You totally need to charge for binding - that's a time and labor intensive process and I can't believe, unless is was her 1st quilt, that she would expect you to do that as part of the charge.  I am getting my business off the ground as well and I learn with every customer.  I am planning to put together a pricing list/form with all the options on there so I don't forget to ask the customer for all the info.  I have a quilt right now that I made the mistake of not looking at the backing when she brfought the quilt and it was pieced from scraps with tons of Minky in with regular fabric which made it a challenge.  I had to really slow down when quilting and now I know I should charge a little extra for that next time.  You'll be fine. I haven't even advertised yet and I already have 3 word of mouth customers and another one inquiring.  As a reitred HR person I can tell you there are all kinds of people in this world and they all teach us something.  We live and learn - try not to let it bother you because it shouldn't.  She was probably just a new quilter and very stressed new mother. Keep your chin up!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010
Charlotte Casey replied on Fri, Jan 6 2012 8:16 AM | Locked

Pat if you wouldn't mind I'd love to see your form. It would probably help me as I put mine together.  Cmiddletown9@aol.com is my email.  Sorry I didn't know how to find your email.  Thanks so much!

Page 66 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 64 65 66 67 68 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use