Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 65 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 63 64 65 66 67 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 5:02 PM | Locked

Judy Lee:
I also have a ruler base on Miss Jewel, I don't think I could use my rulers without it!

Yes, ruler base, a better term than plastic table.  It moves with the sewing head and makes it difficult to press down on the ruler.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220
Grandma Sal replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 5:28 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
It moves with the sewing head and makes it difficult to press down on the ruler.

My ruler base slides onto the bottom front of my machine, and it used to be difficult because it would move when I put any pressure on the ruler.  My husband assessed the problem and attached a piece of metal to the platform so that the ruler base slides into a slot and locks in position.  Now the table/ruler base does not move at all which makes using a ruler much easier.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 8:02 PM | Locked

My base fits tightly on slots.  It doesn't wiggle.  The problem I encounter is that I'm placing my ruler on the stationery quilt top and pressing down, but as I'm sewing, the ruler base is moving under the quilt with the sewing machine, so I have to think about where I place pressure as my stitches cross the fabric.  It's hard to explain without video.  I'll get the hang of it, I'm sure.  Now I understand why the ruler is as short as it is.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 1 2012 8:10 PM | Locked

Nancy

I haven't used the ruler but on a video I watched they recommend put slight pressure against the outside edge of the ruler to keep it snug against the hopping foot instead of putting pressure downward.   Now boy that was a run on sentence...ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 8:57 AM | Locked

Nancy,

I also am cheap and find useful things around the house to help.  I glue a large strip of fine sand paper to my rulers, avoiding the lines and measurements.  This holds my ruler so secure that with the short ones, I don't have to hold them at all, just place them where I want them to be! I use painters tape to mark where my ruler base is just about to touch the belly bar and reuse it over and over. 

God I love Quilting,

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,056
Points 29,030
Ramona replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 9:07 AM | Locked

Judylee,

A quilter has to do what a quilter has to do but you don't have to take the blood, sweat and tears thing so literally. LOL The pins can be annoying at times but sounds like you found a way to get them to work for you.  Can't wait for you to get your Red Snappers. Let me know how you like them the first time you put them on and then the 10th time. (Learning curve thing).  Did you also get the one that supports the batting and backing on the sides? Thought those might be something I would use.

Hugs,

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,056
Points 29,030
Ramona replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 9:15 AM | Locked

Judylee,

I can't think what it's called but I use the clear vinyl stuff on all my rulers that helps to keep the rulers from sliding. Your sandpaper idea is great though. That might work better with the longarm rulers.  Have to give that a try.

Hugs,

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,199
Points 24,300
Elizabeth replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 10:04 AM | Locked

I watched a video on longarm rulers and she sprayed the back of the rulers with spray baste so they would not slide.  I tried using rulers but did not like how slow it was.  I used the edge of my hopping foot as a guide and just went for it.  some lines not so straight but I got better

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220
Grandma Sal replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 10:22 AM | Locked

RamonaC:
I can't think what it's called but I use the clear vinyl stuff on all my rulers that helps to keep the rulers from sliding.

We all have our little tips and tricks.  I use a spray adhesive to attach rubberized shelf liner material to the back of my rulers and templates.  It is the kind that comes on a roll and is bumpy with holes.  I don't know the actual name for it.  Bought a few rolls at the Dollar Store that I use for a multitude of things around the house, my husband even comes and asks me if I have any more of that rubber stuff that comes on a roll... and it really does stop my rulers from slipping. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,056
Points 29,030
Ramona replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 10:22 AM | Locked

Elizabeth,

You must have a really steady hand to do your lines that way. I'd be all over the place. LOL Wish I could get that good.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,199
Points 24,300
Elizabeth replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 10:26 AM | Locked

Romona, It's about all I can do freehand, that and echo quilting.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 10:37 AM | Locked

I didn't buy Red Snappers but I have something similar.  I love them and it takes no time at all to load a quilt.  I suppose it should mean your production should go up but it dosen't seem to work that way.  I had more blood on my leaders than in my fingers by the time I installed the Leader thingys.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220
Grandma Sal replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 10:39 AM | Locked

Clamps used on the side to hold your quilt top sometimes can get in the way.  To eliminate this issue I made some fabric extensions based on the way that Sharon Schambers shows in her YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdJ3_2-0n3o .  If you are not familiar with Sharon, she is very talented... you can learn alot from her YouTube videos. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 10:40 AM | Locked

I'll say, she is very inspirational. Great feathers.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,056
Points 29,030
Ramona replied on Mon, Jan 2 2012 10:42 AM | Locked

Grandma Sal,

I have some of that laying around and will give it a go too. Why not try a little of everything and see what works the best for me.  Thank you for your tip and you can't beat the price. Can't wait to get back to my machine and try out all the tips I learn on here.

Page 65 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 63 64 65 66 67 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use