Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 49 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 47 48 49 50 51 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 9:11 PM | Locked

This is my nieces quilt.  My sister acquired the blocks and my niece (14 at the time) added the sashing and borders.  She pillowcased it without quilting it and used it for a year before I took it from her in September to do it right.  I think it turned out nice considering what I was working with.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 10:21 PM | Locked

Jeanine, was it hard to do the straight lines on your niece's quilt?  Did you use a ruler?  I want to do straight lines on my retreat leaf quilt, but I haven't practiced the ruler technique on the frame yet.  Maybe it would be easier to use my walking foot on the sewing machine.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 8:44 AM | Locked

Jeanine,

Again, you've done more beautiful work!!! 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 10:54 AM | Locked

Have any of you heard about PantoVision by ABM Innova.  Looks so cool!

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 11:59 AM | Locked

I didn't use a ruler.  I don't have one yet but would like to play with that someday.  I just used the emblem as a guide and just traveled around it.  It wasn't hard but I did take it slower than normal to have a little more control.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 7:39 PM | Locked

Elizabeth,

Thank you for sharing the PantoVision. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GbOzU8rRsE

That is so very neat!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220
Grandma Sal replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 8:59 AM | Locked

RamonaC:
Thank you for sharing the PantoVision.That is so very neat!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this information.  It is indeed very neat.  I have watched this video a few times already.  My mind is reeling with the possibilities.  I am chomping at the bit to find out if it will work with my setup.  First time I watched it this morning I thought it would be way out of consideration in regards to cost.  I have professional digitizing software, and that cost more than $5,000 - so I'm thinking it isn't going to be cheap.  I went to the Innova website and it is sub $1,000 plus the cost of a tablet PC, which really is not bad at all.  Website says it is available December 15.  I'm convinced if I can talk to someone who can verify that it will work on my machine, that I want to be on their shipping list on December 15th.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 10:32 AM | Locked

Grandma Sal, I agree, I want one too.  It says it will work on ANY stitch regulated machine but I am going to double check.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220
Grandma Sal replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 11:31 AM | Locked

Regarding Panto Vision, for anyone that has an interest in this topic... I just got off the phone with Innova headquarters and the release date of December 15th is only for those who have the ABM Innova setup.  The release date for the software versions for other manufacturers has not been determined yet.  The lady suggested that I call back mid-December to find out if they have any more information by that time.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 12:42 PM | Locked

Thank you Grandma Sal

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 10:38 AM | Locked

While separating my computer from the new office computer, I had to go over all my files to send them to the new computer.  I came across this one if anyone is interested in a practice piece. I don't remember where it came from, but I will be trying it soon

"Practice, Practice, Practice, so give with the details!"

I guess it is easy to say those words, and not really convey any real ideas or information. I will say this before you read any further. You will get so sick of practicing you will learn to hate your machine. But, usually by that time, you are noticing a difference and progress.

Get yourself a couple of sheets from Goodwill or out of the cupboard. Put some batting on and put the whole thing on the machine just like a real quilt. Get a pencil and use contrasting thread to the fabric. Get your tension set to a ball park range. You'll have plenty of time to tinker with it later. Turn your speed down to a crawl. You didn't learn to drive by going 70 through the parking lot did you? As you get better at what you are doing, you will speed up when the time comes.

Move to the front of the machine. Draw a bunch of straight horizontal lines about 1/2" apart on the top. Start quilting on that line. When you get to the end, don't stop. Quilt down to the next line you drew, and go back the other way. See if you can stay on it. When you manage to stay on those lines to your satisfaction, start backstitch over what you just did. Somebody a week or so ago discovered you don't have to watch the needle go up and down. She was right. In fact, you will quilt better if you don't watch where your needle is. Watch a inch or so ahead where you are going. With a little practice, you will get there.

Once you have the horizontal down pat, go to work on the vertical using the same approach. 1/2" apart, and then backstitch. Since most backstitching is only a matter of going short distances, I wouldn't try to do all the way across the fabric. Do little 3" spurts.

Once you have the vertical. and horizontal. down to your satisfaction, practice making boxes. Draw them on first with a ruler. Once you have the ruled boxes done, free hand them. The lines are so that you can have a reference as to how well you are doing. Also you have learned the feel of the machine, by doing these exercises. Eventually you will be able to do a perfect box without any lines.

The next exercise will enhance the "don't watch the needle" idea. Put a bunch of points on the top about 6" apart. Start your machine on one point, and keep your eyes on the next point. Just run the machine from point to point NOT watching the needle. Very soon, you will be hitting the points every time. This is very important for your diagonal quilting.

Now for the big D. It is probably the most difficult thing to do. Why? Because you have been told it is. The only "mechanical" reason is all 8 wheels are trying to do something different from each other. Remember you "have the feel" of your machine because of all the exercises above. Take it a bit at a time. Don't expect perfect at the start. Unless you are something exceptional, it won't be. Draw on some 5 pointed continuous line stars. Quilt them by watching point to point. If you try to watch the needle, you will very quickly get off the line.

By the time you have quilted a king size sheet, you will be proficient enough to tackle circles, diamonds, triangles, and even be able to script out your name without the use of fences, or guides. I have trouble with finding the lids to all of our pots, as they make great templates if I don't happen to have the correct size stencil.

Somewhere along the line, you can play with the tensions until you have them just right. Once you have them set, and if you don't change the thread gauge to dramatically, you shouldn't have to make any changes to it. I think that having to change the tension or timing too often means you haven't got the machine set up right from the git go.

When you really think you have it down, go on the big D and backstitch the line you just did. Once I figured out how to practice, it made it a great deal easier. I actually like my machine again. It took me about a month of doing this before I worked on a real top. But I had the basics by then, and was able to move to stitch-in-the-ditch without a great deal of trouble. The Drunken Duck was in essence just another "practice sheet". Draw on a bunch of lines and follow them.

Now, go Practice, Practice, Practice. You don't have any excuse now.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,402
Points 415,629
gini replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 11:00 AM | Locked

great advice, but what's the big D?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,402
Points 415,629
gini replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 11:01 AM | Locked

jeanine, you've done  a beautiful job. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 12:56 PM | Locked

Just what it says, a big D.  you sew the straight part and curve around to join it at the top.  Really good practice especially if you do it ont the side and upside down.  Pay close attention to how you do the curve.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,268
Points 35,185
Granny M replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 9:19 AM | Locked

Great advice Vivian.  I need to get myself to Goodwill soon anyway to give away some clothes, will look for sheets.  also those fleece blankets make good batting.  Here are some pictures of things I have been working on

Table topper for my sister in law.  The blue you see is NOT part of the topper, I should have noticed it was showing when I took the picture.

Twin size christmas quilt

Diamonds- queen size.

Closer view of diamonds.

I have a couple more to take pictures of  but this is a start.   Jeanine you are doing really great with yours.  I am practing a very simple panto for the cardinal quilt I finished.  I want to put christmas trees and holly in the two borders.  the holly is going to take more pratice. 

Everyone have a great quilty day.  I got to run

Granny M

Page 49 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 47 48 49 50 51 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use