Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 42 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 40 41 42 43 44 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 10:20 AM | Locked

Snugglebug Quilter:
It is a friendship quilt with sashing.  Anyone have any suggestions?I would greatly appreciate it!

can you post a picture?  For me, I have to look at the quilt until it tells me what to do.  Even then I don't always get it right.

I have the 1st queen size almost done.  I have another I need to put on the frame, but plan to put a scrap on and try out the laser pointer.   Those that talked about doing this from the front, what did you fasten the laser to on the front of the machine.  I have not tried out the groovy boards yet either.  Want to do some simple Christmas stuff to sell, so I am off to the quilting house for the rest of the day.

Have a happy quilty day everyone.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 11:41 AM | Locked

My laser pointer came with the frame and is made to just attached to the handles of the machine.  It is movable (kind of like on a pivot) so I just move the pointer to the position where I want to start on my motif, and go from there. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010
Charlotte Casey replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 11:53 AM | Locked

Granny M - I don't recall what machine you have but on my APQS, there is a spot to put the laser on the front of the machine.  Like another arm that sticks out where you can attach it.  Also, depending on how yours is attached, it might work on the top spool holder if you have one.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 2,430
KathyColorado replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 12:30 PM | Locked

Hi everyone.  Do you have any pointers, other than getting references, to chose a good, qualified longarm quilter?

Kathy

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010
Charlotte Casey replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 12:43 PM | Locked

Hi Kathy - I have a couple of suggestions for you.  You want to make sure that you are not picking the "cheapest" person out there.  Ask how many quilts they've quilted (you want a really big number).  See how much they talk to you about what you want done and if they are asking you good questions about batting, backing and what style of quilting you want done.   In my experience, a goog longarmer will want to spend a little time with you on the details of what they are going to do, giving you options on how the quilt will be quilted, and how they are going to charge you.  It's a big investment to have the quilting done so it's worth it to spend what you need to get the best person in your area.  Also, you can help by making sure you quilt top is square, the backing (and if you are supplying it batting) is ample - I want at least 4 inches on all sides of the quilt top.  Also don't argue with them if there is a type of batting or thread they want to use - often there is something that runs better on their machine and that will help the quality of the quilting.  A real professional will also give you something in writing outlining what you've agreed to and with a promised completion date and price.  Hope that helps a little - good luck!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 2,430
KathyColorado replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 3:44 PM | Locked

Charlotte,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond with such detailed suggestions.  I feel I can now talk to someone with knowledge and confidence!

Kathy

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 5:31 PM | Locked

Hi Kathy,

I agree with Charlotte and have only one thing to add.  Remember that you and your LAQ are a team.  You must like each other and communicate well with each other. A few of us LAQ's can be set in our ways and do not listen as well as we should.  Make an appointment that allows you to get to know each other and discuss your quilt in detail.  I am fortunate to have had many clients that have seen work that I have done and say "just do it".  I pick their brains on such things as, How dense do you want the quilting? What Patterns are floating in your mind?" I find that I truly like the ladies and gentlemen that I  quilt for. 

Good luck,

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,116
Points 29,750
Ramona replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 3:51 PM | Locked

I was wondering how many of you quilters/longarmers belong to the QNNTV site? http://www.qnntv.com/  Where we are, for several months of the year, we don't have  t.v. hookup. May get satellite one day but for now I watch my quilting shows on QNN. I really enjoy it. I was wondering if others find it interesting and helpful. I have the basic subscription.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155
Snugglebug Quilter replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 4:03 PM | Locked

Hi Ramona.  Yes, I also subscribe to it.  I really enjoy all the programs, even some of the ones for beginners.  I've found a lot of really  nice advice and some pointers that are really helpful.  I especially like Quilty.  It's so nice to see someone who is learing as well as teaching, and seems so humble to boot!! 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155
Snugglebug Quilter replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 4:03 PM | Locked

Hi Ramona.  Yes, I also subscribe to it.  I really enjoy all the programs, even some of the ones for beginners.  I've found a lot of really  nice advice and some pointers that are really helpful.  I especially like Quilty.  It's so nice to see someone who is learing as well as teaching, and seems so humble to boot!! 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,116
Points 29,750
Ramona replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 4:14 PM | Locked

Snugglebug Quilter,

That's so true. I watch these shows and learn so much. It helps me feel a "little" less intimidated and gives me great ideas. If I get one thing out of each show, it's certainly worth it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 26,945
Elizabeth replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 7:05 PM | Locked

Romana, I got the premeir membership to QCA so I could watch that  qnntv.  I don't watch as much as I should because I find it frustrating to seach for the programs I want to watch.  They need a better search engine for their site and then I would watch more

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 11:56 AM | Locked

I loaded a Sudoko quilt to practice on (nine fabrics, nine layouts, no one fabric in the same postion, My group did this as a fabric excange and it was fun) anywhay I put a broad black border and sashing on it, did feathers on the border, did the quilt top and then took the quilt off and repinned it to do the side borders, did one and took it off the frame.  When I flipped it onto my cutting table to trim it, I noticed I never quilted the fourth border.  there are some days when it just dosn't make sense to get out of bed.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,010
Charlotte Casey replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 12:09 PM | Locked

That's how it works sometimes doesn't it Vivian? 

Can you tell us more about the fabric exchange for the sudoku blocks?  My sewing group, which meets once a month on a Monday and is called PMS day (Potluck Monday Sewers) is currently doing a block exchange but maybe that's something we can do next.  Post pictures when you're done with the quilt - would love to see it!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 12:14 PM | Locked

It isn't a block per se, if you are familiar with Soduko puzzles, it is an arrangement of nine numbers in nine blocks( and thats all I know) anyway,  nine fabrics (what ever size you want) when you sew each block togeather, none of the fabrics will be in the same place from block to block. It is quick and simple and most of them are table toppers.  just a nine patch with nine differnt configurations.  Clear as mud??

Page 42 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 40 41 42 43 44 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use