Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 37 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 35 36 37 38 39 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 4:03 PM | Locked

Ramona,

I did not make X's because the blocks were only 3 1/2 inches, that would have been over kill and very costly to my client.  She had pinned a queen sized quilt sandwich using about 300 straight pins.  I had 1/2 inch to pin my leader to and no excess fabric anywhere else!  I used safety pins on each outside square, removed all her pins, advanced the quilt to make sure I still had fabric on the bottom edge. (not much 1/4 inch maybe)

I clipped only the intersections that I would cross and left the rest of the clipping for my client. I was able to do a really nice looking zig-zag repeat and since it was light quilting I managed to have no fabric shrinkage. Yipeee!  The back of the quilt looks kind of cool.  I will take a picture. Oh, sorry got side tracked, I have a Baby Lock Jewel. God I am going to be picking thread off my  furniture for a week! LOL!  Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 5:01 PM | Locked

Wonderful quilt.  the quilting is so even, so the top must have been as well. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 7:41 PM | Locked

Thank you, Vivian.

Miss Jewel was running so smoothe, I guess when I make my own rag quilt, I will pay a lot more attention to my seams than my client sis.LOL!

Judylee

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 8:12 PM | Locked

great job Judylee

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 6:47 PM | Locked

Does anyone know if there is a "best thread" section?  I can't seem to find it and I want to order some new thread to try.  I don't want to buy a bunch and find out no one uses it because it is not suitable for a longarm.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 6:15 AM | Locked

Hi  Vivian,

I like several different threads: Superior, King Tut (my favorite) YLI.   I even was able to use embroidery thread in Miss Jewel.  I tried Connecting Threads and did not care for their ne long arm thread. Linda Taylor has come out with a new line of long arm thread and so does Dusty what's his name (Glow in the Dark)

This is a starting point, maybe others can add to the list for us!

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:43 AM | Locked

Good , thats what I wanted to know.  Connecting threads has a catalogue out that has some good prices and I was going to order some.  I have a class with a LAQ next week, i'll wait until i take my lesson before ordering any thread.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:22 PM | Locked

I like the threads from Connecting Threads for piecing.  I've also done some thread painting with them and had good success.  I didn't care for their longarm thread either -- too much breakage.  I use a lot of Superior Threads and I have quite a bit of Signature in my thread stash.  I have used YLI a few times and had good results as well.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 145
Becky S replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:36 PM | Locked

You should check into a re-seller permit, I think it is called at least in WA state.  It allows you to not pay tax on items purchased for"resale" as you then charge your customer tax and that is when it is then sent to the state.  I was also advised to look for an accountant who really understands your business and what you do.  You are really selling the service and adding in some supplies in certain cases. 

I have a Nolting 18" longarm and a 12 ft table.  Our basement had ankle deep water this summer due to broken irrigation issue.  Finally got all put back downstairs but still cannot put things away as the contractor has to "finish" the wainscot. 

Each machine usually has a favorite brand of thread that cuts down on breakage and tension issues, but it can get expensive trying to find that niche.  Have you ever looked online at "Longarm University" it' is online classes, as well as some taught in Renton, WA ,but she has been a huge help for  me.  I have had my machine for about 5 years, but don't sew nearly enough on it.  I bought it mostly for personal use, but Honey got a Harley, so I got my Longarm,

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:40 PM | Locked

I was reading through some of these posts and noticed that many quilters have named their machines.  My DH thinks its hilarious that I've done this.  My longarm is an 18 year old Nustyle and she has absolutely no bells and whistles.  She weighs a ton!  I call her Bertha.  My favorite sewing machine is a Janome 6500P and I call her Janie.  Do others have names for their machines?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:41 PM | Locked

I tried to post a pic of Bertha but I just can't get it to work!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 1:44 PM | Locked

Georgia:
Do others have names for their machines?

oh, yes, and the names change depending on how temperamental they are being. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 145
Becky S replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 2:04 PM | Locked

I have a Nolting 18" and a 12 foot table.  I have had it about 5 years or so.  Honey got a Harley, so a longarm was fair, right?  I don't spend a ton of time quilting on it, but bought it mostly for my own purposes.  I took a class at the "Longarm University" in Renton, WA and she offers great online classes now as well.

I have also attended some classes two different years at Innovations in Tacoma.  I have figured out that there are soooo many different types of longarming, that I think you need to choose one and become proficient at that then start another.  Like pantographs are great, but there are tricks to getting a look you like unless you like just the "rows"  some of course are very involved and some are more simple. 

I also have learned that my "dragon" in my little dungeon (I sew in my basement, referred to as the dungeon in our house) likes only certain kinds of threads.  If I stick to the brand he likes, tension and breaking are better.  Try a specialty look and I am usually looking at problem getting the adjustments made. 

We just put the table/machine back downstairs after a complete remodel of the basement due to water damage so I am looking forward to organizing all my things in my new space.  I am fortunate enough to have a 14 by 40 plus space so I can have cutting, sewing, longarm, ironing tables and still have room for storage and bookcases full of quilting references.  I am a very spoiled little girl!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 6:08 PM | Locked

OMG! Yes Georgia,

I have only  Baby Lock machines. I love all of them very much, stress free sewing is the life for me. LOL! 

The Jewel is call Miss Jewel after my Grandmother,

The Ellure Plus is called Ellie Mae

The Audrey is Audrey

The Enlighten Serger with Extrodinair is called Airy  (She thread herself)yipee

The Embellisher hasn't earned her name yet.  I will be using the felter to make a Christmas table runner, by the end of that she will have earned one.

The Symphony is my Sweetie! She is the sweetest quilting machine ever!

By the way I collect my toys with great pleasure but only when I find that I have a true need for them. Or when I need a shopping fix, LOL!!!!

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 6:11 PM | Locked

Gini,

You made my night !  I needed a good chuckle and I got it!

thans,

Judylee

Page 37 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 35 36 37 38 39 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use