Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 17 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 15 16 17 18 19 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,318
Points 27,020
Elizabeth replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 9:39 PM | Locked

Thank you Judylee!!! it is to late to order them now but will do on Tuesday.  In the mean time I am practicing on the 5 foot section so I don't have to worry about the bump.  Did better on the pounce patterns that were flowers.  What thread do you use?

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 495
ihendrickson replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 1:06 AM | Locked

Thanks Gini.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 495
ihendrickson replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 1:09 AM | Locked

You're right Jeanine, I need to practice more. I usually end up practicing on a real quilt.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 495
ihendrickson replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 1:11 AM | Locked

Thanks Judy Lee. Will do. My new motto, "Practice makes almost perfect."  : )

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 495
ihendrickson replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 1:30 AM | Locked

Hi MNnancy, I am blessed with an awesome setup. No, going into business was not part of the deal. Funny story why I got my machine. I made a quilt for my husband to give to him as a Christmas present. I was in line to have it quilted for 4 months. When it was my turn, I took the quilt to the longarm quilter. but she said it was too custom and she didn't want to mess it up. By this time, it was real close to Christmas, so I had to wrap a quilt top. After he opened it, I explained in tears why he was only getting a quilt top. He told me I would never have to wait in line again to have a quilt quilted by someone else with a longarm machine. He told me I could have one. Six months later, I had my first machine. We are currently in the process of building a new home, and my husband built me a quilt studio that measures 30x18. It even has a full bath. Because the house isn't finished, we currently live in the quilt studio. I do have my machine in here, but I can't wait for it to be all mine!  : )  By the way, I'm still good friends with the lady who wouldn't quilt the quilt. I was thankful for her honesty, but I know she would have done a great job.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 495
ihendrickson replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 1:32 AM | Locked

Thanks Joan, I appreciate the feedback and the vote of confidence. : )

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 7:58 AM | Locked

ihendrickson:
He told me I could have one.

Awesome story!  It's good to have good support at home.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 8:00 AM | Locked

ihendrickson:

You're right Jeanine, I need to practice more. I usually end up practicing on a real quilt.

When I say practice, by all means I mean on real quilts.  Why waste your time on unproductive work.  For me, it is my charity quilts and I know that even on my practice ones they look better than what I was doing on my DSM. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 5,335
Patti replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 9:06 AM | Locked

I ended up with a longarm machine because I gave my husband a DVD for Christmas in 2009.  It was a DVD that detailed how you could build your own longarm frame and use it with your domestic shortarm machine.  On the package tag, I wrote that it was actually more of a gift for me than it was for him. 

After watching the DVD and doing a bunch of research, he decided I wouldn't be happy with a shortarm machine and for my birthday the following February, he told me to buy a longarm - I bought the Tin Lizzie and a Grace Pinnacle frame. 

Maybe he just didn't want to go to all the work of building the frame, but I think I have a sweet husband.  :-D

Patti in Pgh

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 9:30 AM | Locked

ihendrickson:

Thanks Judy Lee. Will do. My new motto, "Practice makes almost perfect."  : )

My grandson's TaeKwonDo instructor's motto for all the kids in his class is "Perfect practice makes perfect".  I try to live by that so I also practice on real quilts.  If you're practicing on the real thing, you tend to practice more perfectly.  I've had lots of mess-ups, but everything usually comes out OK.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 9:37 AM | Locked

Just had a friend e-mail me this site. Some may have already seen it but thought I would share as it looks interesting. Hope all are having a great Saturday.

http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 85
Points 1,675
Pat replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:37 AM | Locked

Hi,

I have bought 3 or 4 cd`s from Patsy Thompson Designs.    They are absolutely fabulous!  Fast and Free, free motion fun with featthers and vines and leaves, the first cd in each collection.   She is an artist and it is really easy to follow her instructions.   She does all her quilting on a regular machine and it is even easier on a longarm.  I also bought Nichole Webb's Fantasy Freehand.   What a wonderful longarmer she is.   She makes it seems so easy.    My guild president also bought a cd from ''The Pyjama Quilter'' and she says it is very good.

Pat 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 11:32 AM | Locked

Pat,

I'm glad to hear someone has enjoyed her site and DVD's. I was wondering how difficult it would be to switch those designs over to longarm. Certainly would love to get that good on my longarm. I have to check out the other two you mentioned! Thank you

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,043
Points 19,980
Beth Weigt replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 12:42 PM | Locked

HELP!! I was quilting on my midarm in a border and had to remove some stitches.  In doing so I sliced right through material and created a rip inside my design.  Any ideas as how to repair???

Beth

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 370
Chrystal replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 1:54 PM | Locked

Any chance you can do an applique right over that spot?  If you can, you could add the same applique in a few other places around the border.

Chrystal in Montana

Page 17 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 15 16 17 18 19 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use