Top 10 Posters

Longarmers Share

Page 7 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,683 Replies | 55 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 2:05 PM | Locked

Granny M:
Here is a picture of my first real long arm quilting.

Way to go, Granny M!  Was it fun?  Were you able to relax?  How are you going to do little bitty placemats on you longarm?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 4:29 PM | Locked

Very nice, Granny M!  Keep up the momentum.  I did a couple tablerunners a few weeks ago.  It's nice to do something small for a change. 

• | Post Points: 0
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Fri, Aug 19 2011 4:31 PM | Locked

Does anyone have a Saddle stool?

http://stores.longarmconnection.com/-strse-93/Saddle-Stool-Quilting-Black/Detail.bok

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 10:16 AM | Locked

Hi Granny M,

It looks like most of your questions got answered except your rollers.( proper name isTake-up Rails)  You want your quilt a fingers height above your machine, you can slide your flattened hand between the fabric and the machine and you should be perfect.  As you advance your quilt, you will have to raise the take-up rail.  When you are working on smaller motifs the hopping foot will make the fabric bounce and you can not see your smaller design as well.  What I use is a small rice bag laid to the side of where I am working and it stops the bounce and I quilt much more smoothly.

Judylee

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 10:32 AM | Locked

Hi Jeanine,

I have my saddle stool and love it when I am using the micro-handles on small areas.

Judylee

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 10:37 AM | Locked

Hi MNnancy,

Placemats are really fun because it is like an instant mini quilt.  You load a wide backing fabric then place batting over it and then  space your individual placemats across the width of you backing.  I have purchased the materials to do so. My little art qult was fun,too!

Judylee

I tried something new the other day and thought that I would share the experience. A client handed me a piece of cotton and a piece of fleece and wanted a quilt that she would not have to bind.  I first sewed it into an envelope, leaving a hole for turning. I used the quick turn method, sewed up the hole and then pinned it to my longarm.  I quilted 1/2 inch from the edge and then I freehanded a design on it.  No binding needed and when it came of the machine it was complete.  She was thrilled with the look and I thought that it might be useful for childrens play quilts!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 3:07 PM | Locked

Judy Lee:

Hi Jeanine,

I have my saddle stool and love it when I am using the micro-handles on small areas.

Judylee

I have it on my wish list!!!   Maybe Christmas???

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 105
Patty replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 6:50 PM | Locked

Jeannie, 

I also have a mid arm and like you I had issues with thread breaking and tension problems.  I recently discovered that my bobbin has to turn in a clockwise position.  Since I figured this out my thread breaking and tension issues are all gone for now.  I thought I would share this tip in case others have the same problem.       

Patty Libben

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 7:13 PM | Locked

A lot of the problems we have with our machines can be corrected if we rethread or reset the bobbin tension.  As much as it scared me, the tension dosen't seem to be as great an issue as I was afraid of and I seem to be able to work with it.  I can hardly wait until i work with a more decorative thread so i can eat my words. LOL!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,274
Points 35,250
Granny M replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 7:43 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
How are you going to do little bitty placemats on you longarm?
I saw a video somewhere about making them in two's and the border between them twice as wide.  Then you have a long strip of backing and batting.  You put the placemats on that and do several at a time. When done you cut them apart and bind them separately.  I made two table runners and two matching placemats.  The only problem I had was the thread I wanted to use was 50 wgt and I spent a whole afternoon trying to get the tension right.  Scares me to even touch that tension.  Now I have to worry about getting it right to go back to the 40 wgt thread.

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,274
Points 35,250
Granny M replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 7:50 PM | Locked

Judy Lee:
What I use is a small rice bag laid to the side of where I am working and it stops the bounce and I quilt much more smoothly.

Thanks Judy.  Got to love those rice bags.  I have a rice bag pin c ushion with a thread bag that fits nicely on the roller.  How big  a bag do you use, 1/2 cup rice or a bigger one.

Can't wait to get back down to my quilting house to see if my take up rail are where they are suppose to be.  

Does anyone put like a scrap on thier machine to test the tension and make sure is ok.   I had some problems in change my upper tension, the long arm always has tension on it and it feels strange to me like it is always to tight. 

Granny M

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 8:03 PM | Locked

I always make a test sandwich with the same fabrics and batting to test my tension before I begin the actual quilting process.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,791
Points 420,634
gini replied on Sat, Aug 20 2011 11:04 PM | Locked

nice job granny m

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 1,890
Kat replied on Sun, Aug 21 2011 7:17 AM | Locked

Hello everyone,

I am new to quilting and I do love the piecing part, but don't have a machine that lets me be happy with the quilting part.  Not really sold on the idea of doing hand quilting all though I watched my Grandmother do it for years and she made quite a few quilts.  So I am hoping to soon buy a frame and a new machine, but I can't afford to spend the money they want for a long arm machine.  Anything has to be better then what I am trying to quilt with now!

I am using a nice machine that works great when doing something no bigger then a baby quilt, but I am not a baby and want a quilt for ME ~.^

I don't know if you girls will make this easier or harder for me because reading all these posts you seem to all have something different and you love what you have!

I have been putting off buying anything for over 1 year, I am afraid that I won't be happy with a small machine, and afraid to spend the large amount of money for a system when I will be doing this for my personal use and not making money with it.

I need help!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,470
safrmaz replied on Sun, Aug 21 2011 8:32 AM | Locked

Kat,

I don't know if I'll be much help with your dilemma but I came very close to buying a floor model Pinnacle frame that the store was discounting.  The machine I was going to buy was the Janome 1600 which they were also going to give me a good deal on.  My problem was that we are planning to move back to Phoenix in a few years and there are very few homes with basements so it would mean buying a house to accommodate the set-up.  I decided to wait and see if we have enough room after we make the move.  In the meantime, I will either hand quilt or send out my quilts to be quilted.

I was interested in the small machine because I'm new to longarm quilting and I thought it would be a way to start and maybe trade up.  You could consider that option or see if you can find a used mid arm and move up to a longarm in the future.

Page 7 of 179 (2684 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.