Panel Cutting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,009 Posts
Points 19,440
Beth Weigt posted on Thu, Aug 11 2011 10:24 AM

I have a panel and when it was cut, they left a "scant" uneven 1/4 inch around the printed border.  My question is do I try and square up knowing that half of the decorative border (which is also not straight will be lost) or do I work with the "scant" 1/4 inch?

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 10:32 AM

beth, this is the biggest complaint i have with panels, most of them come this way.   i usually try to square it up and lose the pretty border in the process, but it really is a personal choice and i'm sure it will be fine whichever you choose.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 10:46 AM

Beth

It is a common problem with panels.  I have found that the best way to work with them is to square them up even if I loose part of the border.   Good luck.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,009 Posts
Points 19,440

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll lose part of the border.  I do have material for an outer border so I should be OK.

Beth

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,009 Posts
Points 19,440

Thanks everyone.  I guess I'll lose part of the border but I have material for an outer border so I should be OK

Thanks Beth

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Beth,

I agree with Qult Daddy, I try to find a blendable match tothe cut edge border around the block and then Square it up!  Sometimes it gives really neat effects, like slightly tilted or intentional tilted blocks.  Good Luck!  I hate working with a scant anything, it always makes me feel as though I have weakened the seams it my quilt and that it won't last as long as it should.  Just me I guess.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use