Best way to rip out machine quilting stitches

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
76 Posts
Points 1,225
Purdue Fan posted on Mon, Aug 8 2011 10:47 PM

I started machine quilting a lap quilt awhile back, but hate the way it looks. I am starting the tedious process of removing the stitches, but I am worried about accidentally ripping the fabric instead of the thread. This is one of the very first quilts I tried to machine myself and I had read about starting the line with very tiny stitches to lock them in. Yeah, ok. But how to do you remove said tiny stitches when you hate the result??? I think I will use the traditional method of popping the thread to the top on my next one! Any advice on how best to remove those little suckers?

Thanks!

Peggy

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
76 Posts
Points 1,225

That's a great idea about putting the top in the dryer with a wet washcloth. Hadn't thought of that. That's what I do for wrinkled clothes, though!

I will be SO glad when those stitches are all gone! Even if I hadn't planned on giving away the quilt already, I would be ready to after this. I will never want to see this quilt again when it's done. I am so sick of it!! Definite lesson learned about planning out your quilting ahead of time.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
836 Posts
Points 14,375

I just found this and so glad I did. I am ripping out a border that I did not like the way it was done. I am scared to use a razor but may still try my seam ripper. This might save my insanity!!

• | Post Points: 0
Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.