September Member of the Month: Carolyn Stewart

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 777,995
QCA Admin Posted: Sun, Oct 11 2009 7:52 PM

Congratulations September Member of the Month, Carolyn Stewart!

It's not uncommon for quilters to catch the quilting bug from an aunt or grandmother. September's contest winner breaks the traditional mold in this charming story:  

"How did I start quilting, you ask?  Well, exactly how I started every other craft I have ever done except knitting.  Blame it on my daughter.  I taught my daughter how to knit, but every time I went to visit her in Katy, Texas she was doing a new craft. We started with quilling, then went to cross stitch and finally to quilting.  Dear hubby said on that last trip, 'Deb, don't take your Mother to any quilt shops, do you hear me?!!!'

Well, guess where we went two hours after the plane landed? Yup, you guessed right, it was to her favorite quilt shop and I was hooked at first sight.  My first endeavor was a watercolor mini and my second was a Stack and Whack (which after more than 10 years I have never finished).  It's beautiful, but it is holidayish and every year I say I am going to hang it this holiday!!!.  Sure......

I machine piece and hand quilt, and can do machine quilting until it comes to free motion.  That has me stumped.  But I am trying.  I am 75 years old and have too many quilts to make, and not enough time to hand quilt them.  Need to get with the scene and get with the current action, just like I did when it came time for me to go from a typewriter to a personal computer.  I had a boss that told me way back that if I wanted to stay in the business, I had better get computer orientated or get out.  I learned real fast, just like I did quilting. 

I have never taken a class, but have learned everything I know from Alex Anderson and Fons & Porter and Eleanor Burns' quilting TV programs.  These ladies are my inspiration and I have watched their programs for years. 

I just wish as a closing thought that I had a personal genie that could sit on my sewing machine and teach me the balance between foot and speed to free motion my next quilt.  I'm totally tired of stitching in the ditch and echo quilting, etc.  Get my drift?"

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Congrats on being the Member of the Month Carolyn!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 8:18 PM

Congratulations Carolyn Stewart for being member of the month.  I really enjoyed reading your story.  I like you learned all my quilting by watching Alex Anderson and Fons and Porter and trial and error.   I think it is really neat that you have become interested in your hobbies through your daughter.  Way to go.  Happy quilting

Nana {nancy}

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,347
Points 241,977
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 9:14 PM

Congratulations Carolyn, I am completely self taught and in regards to FMQ... I get a song in my head and will start sewing to the beat of the song.  I have found that this works the best - some one told me you had to go as fast as you could - this didn't work for me - I just take it and move with it. 

I can say that I have practiced at it for over 100 hours - I have a couple quilts that I practice on - I pull them out and do some feathers or loop d loops on them to get in the mood then I work on the quilt i am doing. 

It is fun.

Again Congratulations.  if you are interested, friend me and I'll give you a list of some books and dvds that I have used that helped me a lot.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Sun, Oct 11 2009 11:46 PM

What a great story, Carolyn! You have just proved, once again, that we are never too old to learn something new! Congratulations on being selected September's Member of the Month!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Mon, Oct 12 2009 4:15 PM

caroly, what a great story.  congratulations   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,546
Points 139,293
Stephanie replied on Wed, Oct 14 2009 6:24 PM

Congratulations Carolyn, and thank you for sharing your story. It was delightful to read.

Free motion quilting does take some getting used to. I don't have a stitch regulator on my machine so I don't know how effective they can be. My machine does have a speed control so that I can slow it down and no matter how hard I press the foot pedal, it won't go past a certain speed. I can get a rhythm going watching the needle go up and down, but sometimes the fabric drags and I pull a stitch that''s too long. In the overall effect they disappear and no quilt police will be coming so I don't worry too much. I just have to remember that I can stop and breathe, and I do practice on a scrap quilt sandwich before I go to  my finished quilt to make sure everything's working properly. Just start slow and practice, practice, practice.

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 190

What a refreshing story. Love it. It just shows, you are never too old to learn something new. Way to go. Keep up th good work.

Happy Quilting

Silvia

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
SnailsPace replied on Sat, Nov 16 2013 11:34 PM

Carolyn Stewart has an extraordinary ability to pair fabrics and she pieces with absolute precision! Very nice story about a wonderful lady who deserves recognition!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 9:32 AM

Congratulations, Carolyn...I'm mostly self-taught, but with the help of the quilters on this site, I have really broadened my horizons and tried things I would never have tried before.  But I still can't get into hand quilting, its too slow and tedious for me.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 10:06 AM

I thought to myself, when did QCA start a "member of the month?"  Then I noticed that this post is from 2009.  Belated congrats, Carolyn.  

QCA admin - this might have been a fun feature to continue!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use